Author Topic: Drum had a seizure  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Drum had a seizure
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 21:20:36 PM »
 :crossed: Everything keeps moving in the right direction for Drum,  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 17:31:45 PM »
Thanks, Tan. She's still wobbly but so far no more seizures. Hoping the side effects wear off soon.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 15:37:17 PM »
So sorry to hear this hun
Sending gentle cuddles to darlin Drum

:hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 13:00:47 PM »

Thank goodness, Frances. 

Jezebel, sending you lots of love and positive thoughts.   Xxx

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 09:43:15 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »
Agree, Frances - it would have been really helpful to know, especially as it's a really common side effect.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 18:37:18 PM »
Really pleased that Drum's wobbliness is a side-effect rather than a new symptom, although it would have been helpful if the first vet had warned you of this :doh:.

Had a search around for solipen, which is a phenobarbital :Crazy:, and found some useful information on seizures from Chestergates vet hospital https://chestergates.org.uk/for-pet-owners/information-sheets/.  Click on neurology then information on seizures - it will load as as PDF.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 13:50:49 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I didn't take Drum to the vet, I rang them instead in case there was no need to take her, and I'm glad I did.

Apparently, the wobbliness is a side effect of the anti-seizure medicine (soliphen) and should stop after a couple of weeks.
I'm so relieved! I seem to have spent the whole weekend thinking she was either dying or dead.  :Crazy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 08:42:43 AM »
Fingers crossed for today
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 20:29:57 PM »
I'm sorry, that must have been so very distressing for you  :hug: I hope that Drum has more quality time with you yet.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 19:46:12 PM »

Got everything crossed here.  Sending gentle snoozles for Drum  xxx

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 19:16:33 PM »
Poor Drum, poor you as well, it must have been very scary. I hope you are all feeling better today. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 19:16:07 PM »
Sadly she hasn't bounced back as much as I thought she had. She's wobbly when she walks, although she's still jumping on to the bed and the cat tree.

Looks like another trip to the vet tomorrow.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
Aww, poor Drum, it is horrible to watch them fitting. Molly's were due to a suspected brain tumour, but she wasn't put on medication to prevent them, I was just given Diazepam if she had a severe one to help until I got to the vet. I wouldn't put her through a scan, even if it showed a tumour, there isn't anything you could do with her age and heart.
Please spay your cat

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 22:50:49 PM »
Sue, Drum is 19.

She's in good spirits tonight but a bit wobbly on her back legs.

Another horrible thing that happened when she was fitting is that Vincent tried to attack her. He gets very anxious if anything odd is happening. I think he was confused,and  it's possible she smelled strange.

Fortunately I think she was oblivious to hlm.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 18:15:11 PM »
Oh Jezebel, how scary for you :hug:

I think you have done the right thing in not putting Drum through a bunch of tests.  If she did have a brain tumour (or something that just didn’t show up on a scan), given her age you need to consider what would you want to have done to her anyway.  I hope she remains okay over the weekend and that you have a chance to talk to her regular vet on Monday.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 18:14:44 PM »

Oh Jezebel.  That must've been so awful for you to witness.  And also not being able to see your usual vet/be there during examination.   I fully support your decision not to put her through a scan right now.  I really hope this was a one off, but my thoughts very much with you.  :hug: :hug:

How old is Drum?

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Drum had a seizure
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 17:40:31 PM »
Drum has had a couple of mild seizures over the last couple of months - she shakes a bit but it's over in a minute or so and then she's just ravenous. But this morning I really thought we were going to lose her.

I'd taken her outside because she looked like she was going to vomit, but then she started fitting, it was horrible to watch. I've never seen anything so frightening.

After it was over she went completely limp in my arms and kept falling in and out of consciousness. Several times I thought she'd gone.

We rushed her to the vets - due to the pandemic, our usual one, 10 minutes' drive away, is closed at the weekends so we had to drive to their other branch about half an hour away. Anyway, she'd perked up a lot by the time we got there - although it was horrible having to hand her to the vet outside and not go with her.

Vet said it could be due to her hyperT or it could be something like a brain tumour. We decided not to put her through having a scan because it would have meant a general anaesthetic - which, at 19 with a dodgy heart, is not something I want to risk.
So she's back home and back to normal. Vet gave us tablets to stop the seizures, which means she's now on five different medications.  :Crazy:

I'm grateful to have her back, but I'm worried about what's causing the seizures. I doubt it's the hyperT because it's really well controlled.

What a day.  :tired:

Link to CatChat