Author Topic: 2 year old wont poo in litter tray  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
Re: 2 year old wont poo in litter tray
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
My Chilli does exactly the same thing, she used to poo in the box when we first got her but not she never really does, always wee's in the box though. Tried multiple boxes and different litters, I have caught her pooing on the carpet next to a just cleaned out box! As for the don't put the box on carpet thing, every room in our flat is carpet except the kitchen, which is small and has absolutely no-where to put a box so we keep them in the hall. I've tried putting a mat under the box but she just goes right by the edge of the mat. I'm all out of ideas really, short of putting something on the carpet round the box which she wouldn't like the smell of, but that might put both of them off the idea of going anywhere near the boxes.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Nuwidol

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 09:04:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion everyone.

We'll get another couple of trays & see if it helps.

We did try 2 litters that were very fine. It didn't help the pooing problem but it did get stuck to their feet when they weed in it & got trodden all over the house! Silly Cats...

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 21:19:33 PM »
How many trays do you have?  For 2 cats, it's recommended you have 3 trays.  Some cats won't poo and wee in the same tray, so you need to make sure you always have an unsoiled tray available.  If you live in a 2 storey house, I would recommend having 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs (or even 3 downstairs if they use those ones most).

It's also possible that he doesnt like the litter you are using.  When they poo, the posture is different from weeing and they dig their feet in more so the litter may feel more uncomfortable.  I know you said you'd tried a few, but have you tried something very fine grained?

Just noticed you say you have 2 trays.  I would try adding at least one more.  If he's going beside the tray it seems that he knows where to go but something is stopping him using the tray.

If you are using covered trays, maybe he feels vulnerable doing a poo in them as he can't see whether your other cat is nearby.  Maybe he feels safer out in the open.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 20:16:36 PM »
Hum one of my cats is nearly 6 and he is still doing this, I have not found a way to stop him he always poops on the floor beside it, although he will have a wee in the tray  :-:

My tray is in the kitchen best place for it I think as the floor can be washed, I would not like to be cleaning crap off the carpet! I think most people have their litter trays in the kitchen here. If its kept clean it is ok.

Dont know anything to suggest as I have the same problem myself and have just learned to deal with it.

If you dont want to put the tray in the kitchen I would get a plastic runner mat and put that along the wall where he goes.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 20:04:55 PM »
Are you using open trays or covered ones?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 20:02:25 PM »
Are they both neutered?
Do you have 2 down stairs trays? The general rule is one tray per cat plus one but they have to be in 'desirable' locations!
What do you clean up with? Bio powder or a pre made solution such as simple solution is needed so you destroy all proteins in the stain.
What litter do use and have you tried a very fine clay sand like in texture?
Are the trays big enough to dig around in?
I assume he wees in the tray, how often do you scoop, some cats will only use a tray without anything else in it (cant blame them!!)

Offline Nuwidol

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 19:56:05 PM »
I guess the first question that springs to mind is 'why put litter trays on carpet?

Unfortunately there is nowhere we could put the trays that aren't on carpet. Maybe the kitchen but I don't really think that an ideal place for them.
We did try putting one in the upstairs bathroom but he prefers the downstairs tray any way.

I don't think a wipeable mat would be helpful either as its not directly next to the tray he goes. Its in the same vicinity but against the other wall. We tried putting the tray on that side but he just goes behind it then :(

Thanks for your help so far everyone.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 18:58:31 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Nuwidol.

Have you had a read of this? http://www.catchat.org/urination.html
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 18:39:57 PM »
I guess the first question that springs to mind is 'why put litter trays on carpet?'. Mine are always on lino or other suitably washable surface.

Have you considered this option, or alternately, getting a semi-rigid plastic mat that you can wipe down?

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 18:39:23 PM »
My one cat Little Girl used to do this, we never quite figured out what was the problem and ended up putting a washable run under the litter box.

Otherwise, try adding yet another box, maybe different kinds of boxes.

Maybe try the vets if you've not tried already.

Different flooring under litter boxes..... just keep trying!

Offline Nuwidol

• Kitten
2 year old wont poo in litter tray
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 18:33:01 PM »
Hi everybody,

Don't really know where to start...

We have 2 cats & we have a problem with 1 of them. Its been going on for a while but recently we moved into a brand new house with (obviously) brand new carpets & we'd really like it to stop.

He hasn't always had a problem but now whenever he poos he does it on the carpet next to the litter tray. Its not a very nice welcome in the morning when you come down the stairs weary eyed & nearly step in it!

We have tried all number of things to try & stop him. I'll let you know what those things are here & see if anyone else has any other ideas.

the first thing we did was obviously give the litter trays (We have 2) a more thorough scrub than usual & clean the area where he had been going (always the same place)
Then after that didn't work we replaced the litter trays with new ones. Didn't work.
The we changed the litter (tried 3 different ones) but it didn't work.

After we moved house he was good for a few days but it didn't last long. Now he never uses it & every time he goes its on the carpet. Its really very annoying. The thing is though, he knows he's being naughty by doing it because if he gets caught doing it he runs off (Sometimes in the middle of his 'act'. Nice....)

Apart from the pooing he is a lovely fella & we really do love him dearly regardless of this but we do wish we could put an end to it.

They are house cats (British Shorthairs) although they are allowed in the garden as its pretty cat proof.

Not sure of any other details I could give to help but we don't have a problem with his brother who is good as gold (although very needy  :Luv2:)

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Link to CatChat