Author Topic: Advice needed - amputated tail  (Read 3077 times)

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Re: Advice needed - amputated tail
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 10:05:36 AM »
My cat Dino suffered an injury from fighting with another cat just over a year ago. He had to have half of his very long tail amputated and as he already has a disabled leg I was worried about how he would adjust. It took him a while to get perfect balance back but the remainder of the tail healed very well and he jumps and climbs as much as ever now.

I know that's not the same as your situation but hoped might add some further reassurance.

Hope Meg is ok.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 21:04:25 PM »
Wishing Meg all the best.

Alarm bells were definatly ringing with the vets attitude. Although its probably a real hassle may be worth travelling to see another vet or at least phoning for a chat.

You are obviously a very caring friend :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 20:53:50 PM »
I know there's been a little confusion,but Meg isn't my parents' cat, she belongs to the parents of someone I know from another forum, who wishes to passon her sincere thanks to everyone on here.

I'll keep you posted.
[/quote]

Ah, I get it now Jools - you posted what she had posted on the other forum!!!   :rofl:

Who ever Meg belongs to they are welcome and I really do hope all goes well.  A BIG BIG BIG NO to PTS.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 20:48:57 PM »
Also Jesiri who had his tail removed. Now having a great life with Sharon's brother. Jesiri had his tail removed, broken pelvis wired and broken jaw wired  :(

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,6188.0.html Original thread
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,6188.0.html update with pics
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,9361.0.html another update
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,10880.0.html xmas update with pics

Thanks for sharing.....he is a real beauty  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
love from Julie, Fifi and Daisy

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 20:46:26 PM »
Had a thought, may be worth changing vet

They live miles away for any other vet,so no chance of changing  >:( I still can't beleive that the vet even mentioned PTS as an option.

I know there's been a little confusion,but Meg isn't my parents' cat, she belongs to the parents of someone I know from another forum, who wishes to passon her sincere thanks to everyone on here.

I'll keep you posted.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »
Had a thought, may be worth changing vet

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
Also Jesiri who had his tail removed. Now having a great life with Sharon's brother. Jesiri had his tail removed, broken pelvis wired and broken jaw wired  :(

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,6188.0.html Original thread
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,6188.0.html update with pics
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,9361.0.html another update
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,10880.0.html xmas update with pics

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:01:17 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 01:04:06 AM »
Archie had part of his tail amputated last year after an injury. It did not heal well and he had to have most of the rest taken off.

He now has a little stump left.

After the first op. it was a nightmare keeping the collar on, but after the second I just  had to be hard and keep it on. Thankfully it healed up well. He had a few injections and drops of metacam which helped.

Over one year on and he copes very well and surprisingly his balance is good.

Can understand the worry your parents must be going through but I am sure it will heal up :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 19:08:15 PM »
You're very welcome Jools - please assure your mum and dad that Meg will be happy and fit without a tail.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 19:05:36 PM »
Mary, thank you so much for your reply....and for the fab pictures of the, very well named Bonnie. I will pass on your advice and let the OP have a look at the photos of Bonnie too.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 18:32:06 PM »
Hi Jools

As you can see from attached photo my Bonnie doesn't have a tail and she is as fit as a fiddle and copes really well.  She was 10 when I got her from the RSPCA last December and she had just had her tail removed and she had been having treatment for 9 months in the RSPCA as her last owner didn't take her to the vet when she started biting her back and around her tail.  When I got her she just had one red patch on her back and the little stump with fur growing over it.

I had to get used to stroking a cat that I could not continue stroking up to the tip of its tail  :rofl:  I was frightened that she would try jumping up on the settee, bed, window sill etc. and fall BUT she was fine.  I just find that when she lays down she goes with a thud but I have plenty of rugs, bedding etc for her to thud on to!!

I take her for an injection every 4 weeks to stop the irritation coming back - at one point it was ok but then it came back.  She is ok at the moment but the vet is still giving her half a dose injection.  I asked the vet to look at the stump last week as it was a bit red - she said it was ok and as there is not much flesh etc. she will have just knocked it.

I seem to have said a lot but not really helping I'm afraid.  :-[ :rofl:  It's sad that Meg is just constantly going for her tail but maybe if it's all taken away she will be ok.

Good luck.

Mary

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 18:39:32 PM by maryas »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 16:49:42 PM »
as you say its not much of a choice - from what I can gather of cats with no tail they soon adapt

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 16:49:13 PM »
Hopefully Mary might pop on here soon, her little girl had her tail amputated and I think she copes just fine  :) :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 16:48:46 PM »
is there a reason why they don't want to amputate the whole tail?

Idon't think so - perhaps, as Mark mentioned, it was to do with possible loss of balance.

To be honest, the more I read the OP, the more angry I get that a vet would mention PTS as an option before even removing the tail.

I'm off to tell the girl about your replies thus far.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 16:45:02 PM »
is there a reason why they don't want to amputate the whole tail?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 16:07:55 PM »
I have heard of lots of cats with amputated tails ans they are all fine. Maybe their balance might be a bit off but no psychological problems with it AFAIK.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline jools

• Adult Cat
Advice needed - amputated tail
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 14:08:50 PM »
Guys, I hope you can help. I have cross posted this plea for help from a dog forum I'm a member of. I hope cross posting is ok - I have the permission of the person who posted.

Thanks in advance......

My mum and dad's cat (Meg) had the tip of her tail amputated about a month ago. 

Meg's tail healed fine after the first operation, but as soon as they took the buster collar off her she turned on her tail and absolutely savaged it.  They took her back to the vet but she had to have another few vertebrae taken off in another operation, and she had to be kept inside with the collar on for 8 weeks.

This time it took ages to heal, so they took Meg back to the vet who wanted to keep her in for observation.  Whilst at the vet she managed to get at her tail and shredded it again, needing another op.

This was on Friday, and when I called for an update last night they were pretty upset as Meg is still desperate to get at her tail  .  The vet has said it looks as if she just can't accept the amputation, and their options might be to take the tail off fully or have her PTS   - they aren't happy with either option.

I imagine at the moment it is still probably itchy/sore from the operation which can't be helping.

Is there anything that they can put on her tail to help with the healing process?  Does anyone have any experience of amputee cats, and how to get them used to it?

Meg is only 5 and is a super-fit and healthy girl  .

Link to CatChat