Author Topic: Poorly Kitten on catchat ... any advice?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Poorly Kitten on catchat ... any advice?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 15:27:56 PM »
Hi Sam,

the vet could well be right and if that's the case there isn't a lot than can be done.

Could be a blockage?  if so, danger will be if the blockage releases too quickly... can rupture and cause the kitten to die.

What is she feeding the kitten?  has she feeding too much to start off with and caused constipation or profuse diahorea (spelling!??)

shoudl be getting very very small amounts regularly of a bland food (IMHO).  Fluids is the most important thing... as much fluid as she can get into the kitten.  On the hour every hour or more often if it will take it.  Even using the likes of Glutalyte by syringe if needed.

Really she needs to follow her vets advice in a case like this.  Unless you see the kitten there are numerous things it could be and they are impossible to diagnose / suggest options without seeing the little one.

Will keep my fingers, toes and paws crossed for the little one.  But it may be too little too late for this wee one if she was that bad when picked up but as I know only too well.... never say never!! :)

Good Luck!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 22:56:34 PM »
Unfortunately sometimes even when people ask for advice they dont really listen  :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 22:22:07 PM »
Hopefully Teresa will see this  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 21:57:29 PM »
Please can anyone help this poor lady ... her kitten is very weak and needs syringe feeding ... can anyone offer advice to her.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 21:08:27 PM »
Poor little kitten and it sound horribly like the one that Lesley had.

I wish I knew something that would help  :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Poorly Kitten on catchat ... any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 21:06:26 PM »
I have a 9 week old kitten, When I got her a week ago, she was covered in fleas and full of worms. She also had an eye infection. She was the runt of the litter (weighing on 345 grams) but being an experienced owner, I could not leave her at the hell hole she was in. Took her for vet check last saturday, has been treated for fleas, worms and eyes. She did have runny poo initially, but over the last week that has turned into properly formed stools. All was going well until Friday. I noticed that her anus was looking a bit sore and that she was dragging her rear end across the carpet, as the day went on, her rear started to bulge and poo was oozing out. She was still eating fine.

Took her to the vets on Saturday, as she was going to litter tray and not passing anything, but was straining and her rear end was bigger, Vet was quite negative and said that it was probably a genetic condition where the bowel had not formed properly (it was all working ok up until friday) and gave her some antibiotics.

I am really trying to give her a fighting chance and am doing what the vet recommended, antibiotics and small amount of oil in her food.

Today the poop has started to move, but she is off her food (she only weighs 370 grams) and she cant afford not to eat.

Has any one else encountered this, is there anything else I can do to help her ??

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/64991.html?1195416289
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat