Author Topic: How do I get a cat to put weight on?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: How do I get a cat to put weight on?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 23:17:59 PM »
Byron was always skinny but since I started buying cat milk she has gained quite a bit of weight.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 19:14:15 PM »
I would try a/d, and maybe some regular chicken or other cooked meat. The only thing with kitten food is that it is higher in certain things, which might not be very good for his kidneys, and will rule out the renal food, as the idea is to put less strain on the kidney's.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 18:52:45 PM »
Cimicat is high in calories, says on the pot ok for adult cats. You could also try a few meals of a/d

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
Kitten food worked for us when Moose had his issues and Gracie ate this with her jaw tumour

I also think treats - cold meat etc help my inlaws have Beethoven who has had his thyroid removed and he gets to eat anything he likes he is now 16 and they feel that a hppy cat outweighs all the negative things - they have done this after vet consultation
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
How do I get a cat to put weight on?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »
Monty, our newest addition has a thyroidectomy 3 weeks ago and was evry skinny when he came to us before teh op having lost lots of his body weight with the thyroid. I don't know what he had lost weight wise but he is very boney and I'd like to 'fatten' him up a bit to get him to what he should be. His spine, hip bones, ribs are all very obvious when I touch him and while this can be one of the things they get with old age... I'd quite like to see what I can do to get him to put on weight.
He is on a renal diet as his main meals which is not gonna change now I have finally got him to eat it! But what things which won't damage his kidneys any further could I give him? I am giving him catmilk which he likes and think I wmight switch to the kitten version as i'm sure it's higher calorie.

Link to CatChat