Author Topic: Hurt claw - advice  (Read 1540 times)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Re: Hurt claw - advice
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 21:28:35 PM »
It just looked funny, crooked. But I have had a closer look tonight and I think it maybe he has caught it either on a toy or his brother and pulled it a bit. He let me have a look tonight and wasn't bothered when I touched it, so can't be too bad. I didn't need to use a towel to hold him, just held his paw while I cuddled him and he was fine. I'm probably being paranoid as they are just new!

It certainly hasn't stopped him going mad for playing with Da Bird for an hour tonight! And he's at his scratching post now.

Thanks anyway.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 20:06:32 PM »
he sounds fine then, what made you think he had hurt it?

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »
I can't see any blood or anything, but there is some fluff around it. He isn't limping or anything and seems quite happy to scratch and play. I will try to have a closer look with the towel tonight.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Your going to have to try and have a closer inspection.  Take hold of him and wrap him tightly up in a bath towel and select the paw in question.  If there is a nail half off or a torn nail bed he may need vet care incase complete nail removal is required or antibiotics etc..on the other hand you may see its all ok.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
cat's keep thier claws sharp by scratching things, this in turn takes a layer of the old nail/claw off , you may find these lying around the house
and it does not hurt the puss, are you sure he has a sore claw?? is there any blood or anything, or is he limping ??
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Hurt claw - advice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
Hi

One of my new cats seems to have hurt one of his claws, maybe pulled it out a bit. I can't really see it properly as he doesn't like me touching his paws yet (only had him a week), but he doesn't seem bothered by it. He is still chasing around like a mad thing, using his scratching posts and playing with his toys. And he is eating well.

Do their claws come off like nails if they get hurt? Should I take him to the vet or leave it to see if comes off by itself?

Thanks

Link to CatChat