Author Topic: Another Vet Rantlette  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Another Vet Rantlette
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 17:43:50 PM »
my normal vet, Angie, is a cat owner and she uses for all animals the rib test, obviously can vary breed to breed, but she says as long as you can just feel the ribs when your fingers are on their skin, they are about right, if you can feel them jutting or if you have to dig for them then there is something that needs looking at. I like the point about judging when the fingers are at the skin because that allows for longhaired kitties, you dig to the skin then check  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 17:02:43 PM »
Bloomimg stupid vets!!

If its the standard chart that they seem to have on their walls from one of the food companies I think.....well its useless for moggies cos they come in all weights and sizes.

Afriad big Misa and Sasa are overweight but in Misas case he is just a very big boy and would love for both of them to lose a bit but ^ kgs would be just about right for him despite silly charts that say he should be under 5kg!!

Even my little birman Franta was weighing in last week at 4,5 kg and he is a small cat but before he used the tray cos he was bursting he weighed 4.6 kg so 100 grams was just watered into a tray! He ceratinly is not overweight in the slightest.

Misa and Sasa weigh in about 6.5 and 6 kilos and half a kilo off each would be nice  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Laine

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 15:30:59 PM »
Im so glad that my vets have an ounce of sense when it comes to cats weights!  I have 2 boys and a girl from the same litter. The 2 boys are in excess of 6kg while their sister is a mere 3 kg.  She is also long haired and took after her mum while the boys are short haired and look like i assume dad!!!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 15:24:01 PM »
It is so annoying, at the end of the day it is just her opinion.  Ideally all cats would be allowed to come and go but in today's climate of cat thefts, cruelty incidents and heavy traffic many cats are confined or semi confined for their own safety.

I had the same with Charlie and his weight a while ago, two vets at the same practice, one said he was overweight and the other said his weight was perfect!  So  who do you believe?  I actually thought he was erring a bit on the side of too heavy!

It's interesting about the head shaking and nothing apparently wrong.  Charlie does this all the time.  He had ear mites when he first decided to move in with me and then 9 weeks of treatment for ear infections, then an ear wash in which three tiny pieces of a yellow gritty like substance were removed.  The vet pronounced his ears clear but he still shakes his head.  I don't know if I will ever get to the bottom of it.

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 14:44:55 PM »
Cos the build of the cat has nothing to do with it, does it???    :Crazy:   But all cats are the same aren't they?

When I called Magnus in last night, I opened the window to let him in.  George was sitting on the windowsill.  He sniffed when I opened it and jumped down.
On the one occasion Edward went out, he hid until I calmed him down enough to come to me, and then went and hid under the bed till for a day or so, it scared him so much.

Keeping cats in cruel....

cos again, all cats are the same, you know....

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 14:40:39 PM »
Some vets drive me mad.  A couple of years ago I took Summer for her annual MOT, booster etc and was told she was a very "sturdy" cat and asked how much I fed her.  She actually weighed the same as Sasha (her mother) who went a couple of weeks later and I was told she was a perfect weight!!  :doh:

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
Another Vet Rantlette
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 14:34:14 PM »
The boys have been shaking their heads a lot over the last week and pawing at ears, so even though I couldn't see anything decided to pop to vets for them to look...

Well I got a different vet to my usual one, Angie, and I don't like this one  :P

First off apparently nothing wrong with the boys ears so fair enough, whatever it was irritating them I don't need to worry about it... maybe just sweaty after play or something... but this woman treated me like an idiot, giving the impression that she thought I was imagining the shaking etc... I got a lecture on keeping indoor cats is cruel and then to top it off she said Indy is overweight for his age and needs to diet! if you stroke him you can just feel his ribs, spine a bit more obvious, a gentle squeeze you can feel his ribs easily.

Ok so I guess the average 10 month old cat is rarely 11lbs but he is a solid, fairly big boy, but hard and lean

>:( >:( all she did is point at the chart saying a 10 month old should be 8-9lb... if Indy was that weight he would be a skeleton!

rantlette over

Link to CatChat