Author Topic: different foods by the same manufacturer  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: different foods by the same manufacturer
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 09:27:29 AM »
Kylie is like that with Hill's - she easily changed to Hills senior active longevity and then to the light version, although she isn't quite so keen on that. She even likes the renal version and the joint version. None of mine have ever taken to any RC food although willow did eat one of them for a while. I gave up with JWB & Burns as it always went to waste.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 02:32:38 AM »
I think the sensible is popular with fussy cats - Glyn who looked after mine when i went to London - i gave him a couple of small bags for him to try on his persian who is another beautiful but fussy little madam and she loved it . ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 00:38:41 AM »
Will have to try the RC stuff for the birmans...they have 4 different types of biscuits to choose from at present and one is about to go cos they are not touching it I believe.its the big cats biscuits anyway.....sigh

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 20:45:30 PM »
Mine have liked all the samples of RC that I have had from the vets, and Zi really enjoys the RC Renal, although am convinced the big bag has smaller kibbles than the samples. AT nearly £19 though, am glad she does like it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 19:54:06 PM »
The Clan cats eat 14 different RC Types and about 6 Hills sorts and love them all - we also chuck in James Wellbeloved Purina, Proplan and the dread Iams as the outside cats like it - we feed our inside and outside mob the the same as they leave the cheap biscuits we have tried and teh Clan inside thought we were trying to kill them even serving it up with Supermeat couldn't convince them to eat them!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 19:25:53 PM »
Im yet to find a variety of RC that my lot dont like, milly loved the stuff and their range inbetween normal and prescription "vet care" was all she liked when poorly.
Maybe its why they are hush about their ingredients as theres a secret something to make it tasty  :shify:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 16:10:52 PM »
Purinas Pro plan is now all effectively a renal food it seems

It is much lower than other senior dry food but still about double the phosphorus of renal food. I hav found science plan k/d is the most liked here. They also do another one for early renal fialure which is lower than senior but higher than the regular k/d renal - it seems to be more palatable.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 16:08:00 PM »
as Purina doesn't, AFAIK, do a renal food,

They do and it goes down quite well. Alice likes it even though she doesn't have CRF. VetUK sell a 1.5kg bag for about £8
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_304_310&products_id=1595&zenid=aipilnrvjbjectgjcuu391b3h6
It sems to have gone up by about £2 a bag since November  :tired: (that is over 20%  >:( )

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:54:09 AM by Mark »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 16:02:21 PM »
Gill, my lot love the inhouse Purina Pro plan....They were'nt keen on the others!!!  ;)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 15:56:35 PM »
Mine like Royal Canin the best too -they had the persian for a long while -but have been on sensible for a couple of years now and always enjoy it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 14:26:41 PM »
Purinas Pro plan is now all effectively a renal food it seems but I would think Hills are the biggest maker although much of it you have to get online from say Vets UK or similiar or from a vet.

RC do a lot that you can get at PAH.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 14:22:15 PM »
you might be reinforcing my theory there Gill, as Purina doesn't, AFAIK, do a renal food, so you are stuck with their regular range

am I right in thinking Hills and RC have the widest range of dietary foods?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 13:38:43 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question Trigger but I can confirm that RC was the only renal food that Korky would eat and he seemed to really enjoy it rather than just tolerate it so there must have been something tasty in there.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »
This is interesting cos am trying to ween the birmans off Purina One onto Purina Pro-Plan cos it has some renal protection in it...........its not really working, although someone is nibbling!

Franta liked the Hills renal dry food until the vet ran out and he would not touch the big bag I bought.

Maybe I will try the RC one although dont hold out much hope ......sigh

I am sure that Tiff was insulted LOL

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
I think Royal Canin foods are considered quite tasty so it may just be your babies like the brand's flavour. I know RC was the only prescription food I could get Monty to eat and my friend who's a vet nurse told me that can often be the case, especially with renal foods which tend to lack much flavour, that the RC is often the most liked.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
different foods by the same manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
I notice my three will eat almost every different variety of Royal Canin dry, though some are preferred to others (though Tiffany won't eat the Light, on the grounds of being insulted :evillaugh:)

they are much less likely to eat any other manufacturer's dry food though

is this probably because Royal Canin uses some flavouring which they look for?

I think this could be important, as it might mean it is better to start off with a company which makes prescription diets, as they are more likely to be accepted if necessary further down the line
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat