Author Topic: how many cat owners have cat runs or keep indoor cats?  (Read 5920 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: how many cat owners have cat runs or keep indoor cats?
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 14:18:24 PM »
Aw, Gillian they've got their own little paradise there  :Luv2:

Mary
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 20:44:25 PM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 13:37:25 PM »
I've been thinking about how to put up an enclosure for them

The back I'd have to have something laid down to hold an enclosure and our garden isn't big.

Sabrina, when I had a cat run I didnt have to have a base laid down on the bit that projected out into the garden, all I did was lay a thick layer of pea gravel and the structure sat on that, it was fine like that. I had random paving slabs in the actual run area and there was an existing Sambuca shrub incorporated plus I planted other shrubs and climbers etc directly in the soil, with pea gravel around them. This is what it looked like:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 13:24:20 PM »
Mine are indoor with access to a cat run.

I choose to keep them this way cos they're FIV, but even if they weren't I don't think I could deal with the worry of them being out and about. They have all adapted to it very well and don't try to escape from the run when me and the dogs go in and out of it.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »
I think this is is different for everyone and their circumstances.

All my four go outside 24/7 cos Sasa will not tollerate any shut off areas. The Birmans dont leave the garden but Misa and Sasa go into the field behind.

I would prefer that they were in at night but the two big cats are out nearly every night in summer hunting.....sigh.

Ditto this post. :) My lot (apart from the Small Fry who's too young and unspayed - but still scarily interested in the cat flap) are all allowed 24/7 access to the great outdoors. Reason being we did try locking the cat flap at night only to find that Jack (AKA Big Lad) got so annoyed with that arrangement he headbutted the flap until he got the magnetic strip to come off so he could come and go as he pleased!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »
Our lot are indoors only.

I've been thinking about how to put up an enclosure for them but I can't at the front even with the already concrete drive due to the kids playing ball there (they broke off part of the roof) and would aim for anything that wasn't steel reinforced. The back I'd have to have something laid down to hold an enclosure and our garden isn't big.

Maybe the next house I'll make sure has a conservatory and I'll take out the glass/plastic and replace it with chain link. It'd be a talking piece ;)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »
Thanks, that's interesting. I have still to see a London garden with cat proofing though! Our neighbours cats are all outdoor cats. It's not an issue for me at the mo' because my boys are both elderly, but when Swamp was young (burmese) we had to build him a roofed enclosure. Burmese cats think 2m walls are just "exercise" and can get over that 45 degree angle fencing thing!  I can see it being a big issue for us in years to come, with younger members of the family. My husband gets so fed up that we have to make property decisions based on "cat criteria" but as my friend pointed out to him, it's not like he didn't KNOW he was marrying a mad cat woman.....at least window screening seems to have got less intrusive looking. In Cape Town no-one minded or else they thought the mesh over the windows was yet another anti-crime measure  :Crazy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 02:10:25 AM »
Mine are indoor/outdoor in a catproofed yard! The flap is kept locked overnight... ;)

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 01:05:21 AM »
My two are indoor cats as I live in a 1st floor flat near busy roads in central London... no garden. I got them both as kittens so they have known no different and seem perfectly content. I try to make the environment stimulating for them with high perches, cat trees, toys and lots of play. And they show inclination to leave my flat when I leave the door open to take the rubbish down, they are sitting waiting by my door when I come back up  :briggin:

But, still I feel guilty to deny them the outdoors. If circumstances were different and I had a garden I could cat proof or create a run in I wouldn't hesitate.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 00:12:29 AM »
My two were indoor, mainly because of second floor flat (did leave the Balcony door open in the summer for them) and they would spend hours
basking in the sun, dont know if I was to change the area where I live, i.e house in the country, but then again in saying that, the folks whom I
got Misty from, had Misty's Brother (Chico) He was the spitting image of Misty cept he was a cho- healthy food brown colour, they had also kept
Chico indoors untill they moved to a quiet cottage in the country (only a single track road going past the house) but it was five years later on that
road, He was killed in an rta :(

Cats also live longer being indoor's cause they arent exposed to all the stress and strains of outdoor cat's (I've read that so many times now)

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 23:24:44 PM »
I think this is is different for everyone and their circumstances.

All my four go outside 24/7 cos Sasa will not tollerate any shut off areas. The Birmans dont leave the garden but Misa and Sasa go into the field behind.

I would prefer that they were in at night but the two big cats are out nearly every night in summer hunting.....sigh.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 20:56:31 PM »
Tibby, my 1st cat was 26 and she was always an outdoor cat.  Then I got Smudge and he went missing when he was 13 and I was seriously depressed and had to have 5 months off work and I was on prozak.  When I got 10 yrs old Bonnie in December I wanted to keep her indoors as I could not go through the pain I went through with Smudge.  I would have let her out if she had been screaming the house down or anything but luckily she hasn't and she is so happy indoors and fit and healthy.  A friend of mine once had 4 persians and they were all indoor cats. 

Mary and Bonnie
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 20:44:58 PM »
Mine don't currently have a cat run as we have only recently moved house but hopefully the small run should be built towards the end of next month and then the main run will be built next year so that they can come in and out of the house as they choose.

We had a cat run at the old house and they absolutely loved it. Bilbo pretty much lives outside in the winter (of his own choosing btw) but spends more time inside in the summer sleeping in front of the aircon unit to keep cool  :evillaugh:
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 20:10:33 PM »
mine are both indoor at the mo- hopefully getting the catproofing up next few weeks though.
if i had a pound for everytime someone had told me i was mad, cruel, overprotective neurotic etc etc i could have brought a much bigger house by now!!!  :rofl: i keep trying to explain my feelings on it and lucifer and spare cats(kali) temperments and get told " oo youd be surprised how well cats cope once you let them out"
hmm these are the same people who call me crazy cat lady and yet they think i havent researched this and put alot of thought into it!!
on the upside i have converted a few, my mother told me i was cruel at first but as soon as she met them (she lives t'other end of uk) she said shed never seen such happy relaxed cats  :)

Spare cat would like to go outside but she seems more perplexed by my apparent inability to understand door opening instructions than actually going out! but shes very territorial and not very bright
Lucifer loves going out on his harness- he actually purrs and does the rolling cheek rubbing thing if you show it to him- but he doesnt go more than a few feet from the house on his own and seems very concerned/worried/scared (hes managed a few escapes). He is also a complete wet blanket and a small cat. he assumes all people/dogs/cats want to be his friend and goes straight to them to rub against. i can see this being a very dangerous combination

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 19:30:55 PM »
Beavis has outdoor playtime in the day and is locked in after dusk.......................the kittens will be the same when they are bigger!

We are lucky in that we have a huge garden , and nothing but fields for miles ehind us. We only have one neighbour who loves cats! :Luv2:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 19:29:15 PM »
Indoor only no cat run as first floor flat, but this may change in the future
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 18:51:18 PM »
Our garden is now catproofed so Charlie has the run of the house and garden although given the chance he would run free across the busy road and into the big and interesting field

MBll

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 18:44:24 PM »
Mine are indoor & feel very guilty at this as they get bored, I am & have been looking  for a long time for an exchange as Im in council property & wanting a house with me  own doors & garden so they can get out ....cat proofed of course. But cant see this happening ever

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 18:28:52 PM »
Both of mine are indoors only as I live near a busy road (and in a flat, albeit ground floor).

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 18:02:50 PM »
All of my cats were indoor cats for years and had the run of the house and very happy and healthy until we erected a cat run for them last summer.  Now they can go out there and play! :)   Its 3m square and 3m high and will, hopefully soon (when hubby gets time to finish it) have a series of climbing frames, etc to turn it into an adventure playground of sorts for cats! lol

I just wouldn't trust my lot outside... or trust the wonderful 'humans' of today not to harm one of them and I know I'd never ever forgive myself if anything happened to any of them.  Were it practical where we live we would cat proof the whole garden as its huge but sadly its not but regardless they have a huge space to play in on a nice day like today and most of all I know they are safe!

This is a pic of the run taken when it was erected  and yes the decking was built specifically for the run to sit on!!!   mad or what!   :Crazy:

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 17:57:03 PM »
My two are both indoors because I have a very busy bypass at the end of my street (literally a minute's wak from my house) and also a back lane with cars going up and down at all times (and none too carefully either  >:( ). As I'm in a council house I'm restricted in what I can do and both my gardens only have low walls. They do have the run of the house so aren't really bothered to be honest, unless they see a cat outside then they want to go and play  :rofl:

I do plan to move eventually when the mortgage market settles down and I would then like to find somewher I could cat proof the garden. I'm too much of a wimp to let them out to run freely :rofl: A couple of friends have indoor only cats too, I think whatever works for you is fine.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 16:45:08 PM »
I first (reluctantly) had cat runs about 10 yrs ago for several years, after losing to RTA, but now, for the past few years,  the cats can more or less come and go as they please - although they actually all stay in the garden (apart from Harry - and sometimes Jasper, who takes himself off for a wobbly walk along neighbour's fence LOL!)

At night time I have an area of patio and garden that I can close off from the rest of the garden, so it means they can still go in and out the catflap but not get out of the garden. I'm here a lot of the time and feel comfortable that the area is as safe as it can be and the cats are safe, and I'm lucky that I've got a largeish garden with plenty to keep them amused.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 15:18:41 PM »
I used to have a cat run in each of my houses in Oz (after I lost one too many cats to cars). But here they are out on the ran-tan all on their own. I have the (small) consolation that they go out into the back garden which is behind the terrace house, but as there are footpaths every five or six terraces, and they have found where these are, they do turn up in the front garden at times, and once I ran into Esther (who I think had gotten herself lost) down the road on my way home from work after dark ... She followed me home  :Luv:

Mind you, there are so many black cats in my neighbourhood, it is quite possible it was not Esther at all as I had only had her a few months at that stage .............  :scared:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 15:18:33 PM »
Memphis is indoors only. I can't bring myself to let him out to go where he pleases, I could never ever live with myself if something happened to him. I've read about too many horror stories  :(

I also don't want him to be bullied/be a bully, destroy peoples gardens, harass wildlife or get fed by other people.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 15:17:04 PM »
My boy Max is indoor, but that's as he is FIV+

Saying that though, even if he wasn't, I think I'd have serious reservations about letting him out, and would probably cat-proof the garden instead, best of both worlds then I reckon.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 15:13:43 PM »
We let our cats go outside as well as inside. If it's a rainy day, their kept indoors but any other day, their allowed out to play in the garden.

I think whichever you chose, it's totally acceptable. All 4 of our cats have been spayed and neutered so there's no risk of them either getting pregnant or getting another cat pregnant. Besides, we let them have free run of the house because at the end of the day, their the boss of me and my partner lol.

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
how many cat owners have cat runs or keep indoor cats?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 15:00:00 PM »
Despite it seems becoming more and more common, I'm still regarded as utterly eccentric for not letting my cats out - or for deliberately choosing to live where they are safely kept indoors. This is both here and when I was in France, where I wouldn't move to a lovely little rented terraced house as the rules of the body corporate wouldn't allow me to put up a cat run on the terraced area. When I walk around London, I just don't see any cat runs anywhere near us either, although there are loads of small houses. Just how common is it?

My french friend btw has taken a grot flat where her cat is safe rather than fight over screening windows and a balcony in a great flat in a nicer area and there she is regarded as completely bonkers. Although the french are very pet mad, with dogs allowed in restaurants and shops & everyone in a flat is allowed to keep pets by law etc, there is just no concept of 'cat runs' or garden screening (unless you live in a cheaper area for individual houses, in the area we were in you live in the sort of terraced house or house in an estate which has rules like a flat so you aren't allowed something like that).

Link to CatChat