Author Topic: My Kitten has cowpox :( Any help or advice?!  (Read 12203 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: My Kitten has cowpox :( Any help or advice?!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 18:46:18 PM »
That is such good news! Thank you for the update  :briggin:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 18:24:01 PM »
So pleased he is coming home and I am sure he will improve even quicker at home  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 17:58:41 PM »

Got fingers, toes and all 8 paws well and truly crossed here, Noodle1.   :) :) :crossed:

Is he home now?   :wow:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 17:24:39 PM »
I said to the vet that as much as I want him home I want to know he is definitely well enough and she said 'we couldn't do anything for him here that you couldn't do...he needs his mum and dad' well I nearly cried! 

Certainly brought a lump to my throat  :hug: :hug: :hug:  Come on little man.  Onwards and upwards kid  :care: :care: :care:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 16:50:54 PM »
Woo hoo excellent news  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 15:17:28 PM »
Oh that's fantastic news. He'll come on so much better once he is in familiar surroundings as well.

I'm so pleased and hope that Marley continues to do well.

This is the book I use for ideas for mine - it is in no way a substitute for proper vet advice but there is information in there about helping build up their immune systems and  :shify: shhhhsssshhhh  :shify: but I'm trying to work out a way how I can do a Purrs discount or donation on some of the products mentioned inside.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aloe-Vera-Natures-Veterinary-Practice/dp/095365690X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403619238&sr=8-1&keywords=animals+and+aloe+vera

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 15:00:40 PM »

Well that's just brilliant news that he's going to be allowed to come home!   :wow: :wow:  Cuddles and snoozles from his Mum and Dad will be just the thing to boost his recovery.   ;D   It may be a bit of a haul ahead long term, but sounds to me like he's a brave little soldja, and he's done so well so far.   Bet you can't wait to have him back for a bit of well deserved pampering.   :)

Look forward to seeing lots of Marley piccies if you get some time to share some with us.   :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Marley Shiloh
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 14:56:56 PM »
Aww thank you so much SueP, really appreciate it and to everyone else thank you for your kind messages and love for our little Marley moo...I am over the moon to say that we are picking him up this afternoon!! The vet said he has made lots of progress, he is bright and active and well enough to come home. He is still on antibiotics and he'll need daily antibacterial baths till his sores are completely gone. He could get ill again as he is so young but he is well enough now to come home and all being well he will be fine. We have finished work early to pick him up...I said to the vet that as much as I want him home I want to know he is definitely well enough and she said 'we couldn't do anything for him here that you couldnt do...he needs his mum and dad' well I nearly cried!  Can't wait to see him. Please keep your fingers crossed that he continues to stay well and healthy.  He will have another check up next week... thank you again guys, you've all helped so much  :thanks: :thanks: :hug: ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 15:09:20 PM by Noodle1 »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 06:46:13 AM »

Just popping by to send some early morning snoozles for young Marley from me and the boys, and hoping that he continues to hold his own.   :catplay2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 23:17:54 PM »
We know here that Purrs peoples good vibes really help so shouting GET WELL SOON MARLEY  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 22:05:03 PM »
Sending lots of good vibes for Marley, come on little man :hug: :hug:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 21:55:47 PM »
I have never heard of cowpox either, sorry.

it does sound positive, and I am sure your vets are doing everything they can.

Keeping everything crossed for your little fella  :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 19:08:23 PM »
Thinking of Marley and sending lots of good vibes and love.  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 17:47:58 PM »
Stick with us, you'll find some of the nicest people on the net on here.

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 17:42:25 PM »
Nearly cried reading that last comment!  :thanks: really means alot. I am so glad to have found this forum as so many people sadly just do not understand the bond between human and animals or the pain illness and loas can bring. It's noce to apeak to like minded people and have well wishes. :hug:

Will definitely keep you all updated. We are trying to stay posirive, he's already come so far and thank goosness he has has such a caring and professional vet!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 17:35:52 PM »
That's very promising, and a good cause to be optimistic.   :) :hug: :hug:  We're all sending shedloads of positive thoughts and hope this improvement goes from strength to strength.  Come on, little Marley - we're all rooting for you.   :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 17:13:46 PM »
Keeping everything crossed  :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 15:49:23 PM »
That sounds cautiously optimistic, thanks for the update!

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 13:04:00 PM »
 :wooooo: :wooooo: :wooooo:
That's all sounding very very positive.
Please keep us posted

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
Just want to thank everyone for their kind messages and help especially louisej for taking the time to look for some info :) Spoke to vet today, Marley's temperature is back to normal and they said he is very bright and eating and weeing. He has had a bath in antibacterial wash for his skin. He is isolated as cowpox can be passed to humans and other animals. I am hoping all this is a good sign. They said not to worry too much at this stage as he in not in immediate danger but they are not sure how quick cowpox spreads/worsens. They are continuing to treat him with antibiotics and will keep him in.

fingers crossed :thanks:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »
I've looked through my books at home (I'm an independent distributor of aloe vera products) as I've got one all about treating animals with supplements and whilst I've found a reference for cow pox its only in relation to cows. It seems though as its a cross species disease as it would mutate to smallpox in humans.
The best I can find is information on how to treat the disease using aloe and bee propolis to build up the immune system with doseages for cows although I've got a table which suggests doses for other animals. The book is written by a vet which is why I trust the content.   

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »
Poor little guy, it does sound as if he's in the place between safety and danger, let's hope the IV fluids do the trick and rid his little body of the virus quickly.  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:17:22 AM »

Sending lots of positive thoughts for Marley, and hoping you may get better news today when you speak with the vet.   :hug: :hug:  You're bound to be feeling worried, and I think we all appreciate how much this little guy will have found his way into your hearts already. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 22:21:13 PM »
I have never heard of this on Purrs but stay positive he is in the best place and they at least knew what it was  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 22:15:44 PM »
Many Thanks we hope so too...we miss him lots.

We did ask the vets lots of questions, but they said that it is a very rare illness, they have only seen one other cat with it and it was an adult. She couldn't give us answers about whether Marley would pull through...she just said that he is kitten and they have weak immune systems...I just wondered if anyone had, had any similair experiences with a kitten with cow pox or had any more understanding of the disease.

I guess really I am just clutching at straws hoping for something postive that just says, 'yes he will pull through'. I obviously know that is not possible. I am just very worried.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 22:11:31 PM »
I do hope your little chap is soon well and back home with you  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 22:08:26 PM »
I hope he recovers.............you need to ask the vet this question  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
Re: My Kitten has cowpox :(
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 20:41:31 PM »
Many Thanks for your quick reply, I did find this earlier myself and though helpful defining cowpox very well it does not say anything about cowpox in kittens  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
My Kitten has cowpox :( Any help or advice?!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 20:25:12 PM »
 I wondered if anyone could off me any advice, help or support. We have recently rescued a little kitten who was found abonded on a farm, he was very underweight. We have looked after and loved him for the last two weeks and he appeared fit and healthy, we took him to vets for a check up and to be sprayed and de-wormed-all fine.

Then on friday we began noticing small spots on his skin, at first it was only one and we thought he had caught himself with his claw but then we starting finding more and more spots/legions. We took him to the vets again and were perscribe an antibiotic gel for a flea allgery (though no evidence of fleas/lice) No improvement and we were worrying as he was in obvious pain. Took him to emergency clinic this morining and he has bee disgnosed with cowpox!!!! He has been eating and playing normally...though his breathing has been rapid (vet said could be because of his high temperature)

We are exremely worried and concerned as we have been told that in an adult cat a full recovery is normal, however in a kitten it is a different story. I am so scared that he wont pull through. He is in hospital now on a drip and antibiotics. The vets rung before and said he ate most of his food so we're taking this as a good sign. But still worried/scared and upset. We love him so much and we hate thinking of him alone without us and in pain or fear.
If anyone has any knoweldge of cowpox (it's very rare and I can find hardly anything on internet about cowpox in kittens) or has been in a similar sitiation or has any positive advice/news for me I'd appreciate it.

Thank you in advance... :thanks:

A very concerned and anxious kitten mummy  :scared: :(

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 21:51:02 PM by Noodle1 »

Link to CatChat