Author Topic: Worried...  (Read 44181 times)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
Re: Worried...
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 14:39:57 PM »
Thanks Gill  :thanks:

Sue - 5am call again  :P

She's pretty much the same - i'm just shattered, but managed my shift at work. Vet yet to call for me to go and collect medication, but I have another question for her now....i'll ressurect my old thread as developments have arisen.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 06:44:59 AM »
Morning Miroslav, morning Minty.  How are you both this morning?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 22:47:23 PM »
Sending loads of these for both of you  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »

Cuddles - that's good.   :Luv: :Luv:

Sending some for you too - everyone needs a hug from time to time.   :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »
Thanks for the update, I am glad to hear that the news was, on the whole, good  :)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
I guess we worry about our little friends - even more so as they age.

I hope this will calm her down as i'm running on empty.

She already has forgiven me - given me a cuddle already  :wow:

Taken in the round, that all sounds pretty positive.  I can imagine it will have been a bit of a relief to know your concerns for her were justified, but that her health generally is not as bad as you initialy feared.

Glad she's had a bite to eat to make up for lost time.    And yes - of course she'll forgive you.   :hug: :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »

Taken in the round, that all sounds pretty positive.  I can imagine it will have been a bit of a relief to know your concerns for her were justified, but that her health generally is not as bad as you initialy feared.

Glad she's had a bite to eat to make up for lost time.    And yes - of course she'll forgive you.   :hug: :)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »
She was pretty good considering - now back home and chomping it down!

Well, her sugar levels were even lower on a starve than the other day, at 11.2.

Her thyroid is UNDER active which means she is unwell, but I guess that was easy to work out.

She's borderline diabetic maybe - everything else - livers, kidneys etc are fine and in fact in a better condition than a lot of younger cats.

So - she has been given Loxicam - just incase she has any arthritis which is possible and incase anything else is causing pain - she has drops starting tomorrow and has had an injection today.

Tomorrow she starts something I don't know exactly as I won't get it until tomorrow - Glycipan or something? Something to help her sugar levels being transported through her body?

Then, next week, she goes back to see how she is.

She's a very forgiving cat, she'll realise I was trying to help quick enough.

Fingers in your ears time!   :hug: :hug:  Poor Minty - never mind old girl - wont be too long now, and when you get back, you can have another nosh.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 06:55:21 AM »

Fingers in your ears time!   :hug: :hug:  Poor Minty - never mind old girl - wont be too long now, and when you get back, you can have another nosh. 

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 05:13:50 AM »
Yesterday wasn't so bad although she was mewwing a fair bit at times, but it was controlled with food.

Middle of her 'starve' and not going too well.

5 hours until vets and she's already up and not happy. Trying to keep her as settled as possible but by 10.10, she's going to be crawling the walls!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 06:47:58 AM »

Morning Miroslav.

Wishing you and Minty a good morning. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 19:59:14 PM »
Things are sounding good so could be just her age and eyes and hearing.................needs loads of support  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 17:46:29 PM »
 :crossed:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 17:04:52 PM »
Thanks

Ok...

Blood sugars are 15...normal is 4-8 but diabetes will be in the 20's, still a possibility though.

Thyroid tests not back in....will call me if it proves positive.

Appt for Thurs at 10.10 - with Minty having had no food for 10 hours - tomorrow night could be 'fun'.

Then we should know more....

Minty is a lot calmer today. Had my 5am alarm call and she ate a lot for breakfast. I went to work, checked on her at lunch and someone else was home today. She's been quiet and sleeping. On my lunch I fed her, she's not eaten it all - she's had some treats since I have returned at around 3pm, but no 'mewwing' - all calm, she came to see me and rubbing against me and purring.

Let's see what this evening brings...

Topping up the positive vibes.   :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 16:15:05 PM »

Topping up the positive vibes.   :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 15:55:38 PM »
I've had a telephone message when I was at work and i've called back and i'm now waiting for another telephone call  :P

Kidney and Liver = fine.

Sugar levels are quite high but not enough to be diabetes for sure, although it's tetering on the edge
 of it.

Need to speak to her 'live' to discuss.

Hope all went well, Miroslav.  Will wait to hear more later.   :)

So know what you mean about having your babies back together in your care again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 06:57:17 AM »
Hope all went well, Miroslav.  Will wait to hear more later.   :)

So know what you mean about having your babies back together in your care again. 

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 05:31:53 AM »
You don't have to cry all night for my attention  :rofl:

Seriously though,  sounds like you have your hands full.

I'm struggling with the 1, although would give anything to have my other 4 back to have the complete set of 5 again.

Pursley (18) and Beau (16) are both profoundly deaf and both are very vocal, Pursley especially likes to stay within her comfort zone and although she didn't sleep on the bed before now huddles up by my head on a pillow I've laid out for her in between me and OH. She feels protected there (we have a couple of younger cats in at the moment, one of whom, George, delights in chasing the residents off the bed!  :tired: ) and will be awake almost all night, purring so loudly I have taken to wearing earplugs!

Beau is HT - his mewling is not associated with it, except for in the mornings when he knows full well the meds are coming hi way coated in a liberal casing of tuna pate or chicken paste  :sneaky: but his demeanour is similar to Pursley - its not attention seeking, its more like "are you there Mum? Don't go away now, will you?" only when he's checked I'm in bed and asleep (I have to pretend) will he snuggle down on his bed on our Ottoman and sleep all night.

I suppose I'm saying the combination of deafness (and its inherent isolation) and the unusual sensations attached with old age are distressing, so comfort is sought by those both Human and non-Human alike. I think I'd cry all night for your attenton too if I knew a cuddle and a treat were available, but as we know our cats are safe here I choose to block out the cries with earplugs and the furparents eventually accept that I'm not playing any more.     
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:32:32 AM by Miroslav »

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 05:29:38 AM »
She was pretty good - more in another post shortly...

I emailed her before I went - I like to before I go in case ~I miss anything.

I'm up for work, so todays 5am alarm call was not as much of a problem as it's my earliest shift of the week on a Tuesday!

If the vet spoke to you for a time she sounds like she may be good, I like vets who listen and explain.

Write down your questions and thoughts/worries cos my mind goes blank and its the most important bstuff I forget!

I hope everything goes well at the vets  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am another insomniac with health issues  but retired so dont have to live to a time schedule.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 17:34:17 PM »
Pursley (18) and Beau (16) are both profoundly deaf and both are very vocal, Pursley especially likes to stay within her comfort zone and although she didn't sleep on the bed before now huddles up by my head on a pillow I've laid out for her in between me and OH. She feels protected there (we have a couple of younger cats in at the moment, one of whom, George, delights in chasing the residents off the bed!  :tired: ) and will be awake almost all night, purring so loudly I have taken to wearing earplugs!

Beau is HT - his mewling is not associated with it, except for in the mornings when he knows full well the meds are coming hi way coated in a liberal casing of tuna pate or chicken paste  :sneaky: but his demeanour is similar to Pursley - its not attention seeking, its more like "are you there Mum? Don't go away now, will you?" only when he's checked I'm in bed and asleep (I have to pretend) will he snuggle down on his bed on our Ottoman and sleep all night.

I suppose I'm saying the combination of deafness (and its inherent isolation) and the unusual sensations attached with old age are distressing, so comfort is sought by those both Human and non-Human alike. I think I'd cry all night for your attenton too if I knew a cuddle and a treat were available, but as we know our cats are safe here I choose to block out the cries with earplugs and the furparents eventually accept that I'm not playing any more.     

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 16:32:49 PM »
If the vet spoke to you for a time she sounds like she may be good, I like vets who listen and explain.

Write down your questions and thoughts/worries cos my mind goes blank and its the most important bstuff I forget!

I hope everything goes well at the vets  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am another insomniac with health issues  but retired so dont have to live to a time schedule.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 14:17:42 PM »
Thanks to you and yours.

Vets at 6.20 - spoke to a new vet on the phone who at least spoke to me for 5 minutes and discussed quite a bit and sounded knowledgable.

She says diabetes/thyroid issues sound most likely but she will take bloods etc and have a good examination.

Sending shedloads of positive vibes for you both.   :hug: :hug:   As a bit ofan insomniac myself I know how debilitating lack of sleep can be - fortunately for me, I dont have that exacerbated by other health issues, so can imagine just how tired you're feeling.   :tired:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 09:19:44 AM »

Oh yes - and Tinks and Moray both add their purriest purrs and good wishes for Minty too.   :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »

Sending shedloads of positive vibes for you both.   :hug: :hug:   As a bit ofan insomniac myself I know how debilitating lack of sleep can be - fortunately for me, I dont have that exacerbated by other health issues, so can imagine just how tired you're feeling.   :tired:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »
For sure. I prefer it when more than just myself goes though as it supports both of us. I hate the vet as much as Minty, I think. I always go though as she is my responsibility.

I may be back later today, it depends how much it takes out of me. If anyone here has the human version of Hyperthyroidism, topped with lack of sleep, they'll know how I feel right now.....let's just hope Minty is ok.

Will keep my fingers crossed that you get to see your preferred Vet, Miroslav.   :hug:  In a way, whilst it's tough on you, it might be better that you're the one to go with Minty, because she trusts you, and you're able to calm her with your presence and your touch.   I hope that you have lots of time left to you both yet, and that you can find a way to enjoy this new phase in her life - or at least if not "enjoy" it then to find an acceptable way of managing it. 

Enjoy your time off, and try and catch up on some rest when yu can.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »

Will keep my fingers crossed that you get to see your preferred Vet, Miroslav.   :hug:  In a way, whilst it's tough on you, it might be better that you're the one to go with Minty, because she trusts you, and you're able to calm her with your presence and your touch.   I hope that you have lots of time left to you both yet, and that you can find a way to enjoy this new phase in her life - or at least if not "enjoy" it then to find an acceptable way of managing it. 

Enjoy your time off, and try and catch up on some rest when yu can.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »
Well, it was calmish, until about 5am again - she must have an alarm clock!

They returned last night and were very tired going almost straight to bed. I did mention it, although it looks like I am on my own with the vets today. I know i'm the closest to Minty by a billion light years, but I hope their non attendance isn't their last opportunity.

It is frustrating, more so that I don't know the problem and Minty can't tell me and upsetting as I know time is limited, even if this can be fixed, as she is getting no younger.

It's tough right now, but i'm coping with my own issues and focusing hard on Minty, without losing sight of looking after myself. I have 3 of the next 4 days off and I need them.

I appreciate all of your responses, I really do. I just hope I don't lose my last baby  :(

she's eatign lots at the moment. I am worming her in the meantime and we'll see what the vet says but i'm not sure if we will see our very good vet or one of the others that are ok, but not wanting to do too much to an animal under another vets care.

It's strange as she cries for food and also cries for....I don't know. But when I go over and stroke her, the cries stop immediately and sometimes restart seconds after I stop stroking her.  :(

Hope you had a calmer night last night Miroslav.

Perhaps when the campers return (have returned?) it may be appropriate to have a word with them, and explain that whilst it might be irritating to hear Minty calling, it's no different to having a relative who is suffering from age related illness (such as dementia).  Minty has limited ways in which she can make her needs known, and there has to be a degree of tolerance for her position.  Compassion shown to her now will be a great life lesson for those around her.  We never know when we may end up helpless and confused in our old age, and it's worth pointing out that we would hope to encounter kindness in our treatment, rather than exasperation and irritation.

It must be very hard for you Miroslav - trying to keep the peace, worryuing about how Minty's feeling and dealing with your own health problems. 

We've always got an ear to spare on Purrs when you want someone to talk to.   :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 06:59:52 AM »

Hope you had a calmer night last night Miroslav.

Perhaps when the campers return (have returned?) it may be appropriate to have a word with them, and explain that whilst it might be irritating to hear Minty calling, it's no different to having a relative who is suffering from age related illness (such as dementia).  Minty has limited ways in which she can make her needs known, and there has to be a degree of tolerance for her position.  Compassion shown to her now will be a great life lesson for those around her.  We never know when we may end up helpless and confused in our old age, and it's worth pointing out that we would hope to encounter kindness in our treatment, rather than exasperation and irritation.

It must be very hard for you Miroslav - trying to keep the peace, worryuing about how Minty's feeling and dealing with your own health problems. 

We've always got an ear to spare on Purrs when you want someone to talk to.   :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
Strange night.

She was ok for much of it until about 5am and then ever since she's been mewwing, although she stops when you give her attention, but when you stop, she starts again, so little sleep last night and I must go to work today - only 10-4 though and I come home at lunch for 10 minutes to feed her, make sure she is ok.

I've given her a good feed this morning and she's eaten the lot, so nothing wrong with her appetite.

Worried about her whilst at work, obviously. People come home from camping this evening and one in particular has little time for her meowing - she's always meowed to get attention but nowhere near as bad as this, but she's going to have to learn not to get annoyed with her, as frustrating as it is.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 16:22:39 PM »
I just think she's old and the stairs are a long way up, for her anyway.

I just try and help her when possible. I also think when she had her first seizure, she fell a couple of steps and maybe she does recall that. She does climb up and down the stairs sometimes, she just sometimes looks at me as if to say "lift?" so I help her out as to save her legs.

She is a bulky cat - I don't recall her weight, but vet said last time that if she was any younger, he'd put her on a  diet! Minty on a diet, I may as well emigrate as it's no way that this would happen.

I got the impression that Minty doesn't like walking up and down the stairs or jumping on the bed which might point to arthritis esp if she is carrying some extra weight.  Stiffness of gait would be a pointer towards arthritis.  It's just very common in elderly cats.  Perhaps I misread your posts?   :shy:

Dingle stopped going upstairs for the last few years of her life but she was a dinkie little thing all her life so her arthritis wasn't exacerbated by her weight..

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 16:19:46 PM »
I'll need to look into these I think and see if she goes for it.

Minty does howl but is ok once i'm on the scene to stroke her. It's just the last few days she's started howling again minutes after I leave!

Millie also has self reflecting head pads in all her beds and she even takes them to the cattery when she goes this time will be with the orthopedic bed as sadly she is the only one of mine the cat sittet can't do she has a phobia of needles but Millie has a fab new cattery and gets an inside run and is allowed to wander in the corridors at the cattery for exercise as she comes back when her treat box is rattled

Mt 20yo Floddy has dementia and it is the howling part that drives me nuts but she gets a treat and it stops apart from her forgotten how to use a grit box she can still jump 8 feet to the top of the cupboards where she sleeps apart from that she is hale and hearty according to the vet

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 16:18:09 PM »
Her ears are fine at the moment it seems. She appears to be cool and she's on the bed, head buried, fast asleep - which probably means she won't be for too long and she'll keep me awake all  night.

Minty does get confused sometimes as to what route to take. We leave it the same so as not to confuse her more as she hates change.

I don't think she does have arthritis, I really think, and i'm not a vet, that it's likely to be dementia or something with her hearing - or maybe she's just under the weather.

Thanks

I think you look after Minty so well and agree with what everyone has said.

Hot ears indicate a temperature.

My late Kocka was 20 when she passed to the Bridge and had failing hearing and flapping retinas due to high blood pressure. She had a 1/4 of a mini pill for that and it could be crushed ib her food.

But she had dementia which causes howling and it seriously drives one mad and nothing can be done to help it. So with all the other health issues like thyroid, kidneys, sight, hearing, dementia is the one you cant do anything abouut but you love them so much......................

If Minty has arthritus she will be in pain and need metacam, it can be mixed in food and most cats love it cos its sweet. Sadly it can have an adverse effect on kidneys but at a grand age it is better for quality of life.

Kocka used a box to get up on the sofa until close to the end and at that point she stayed on the ground and slept and howled. I used to hand feed her cos often they dont want to eat and I used to try and get as much of a can of AD diet into her as possible and if she would eat anything else it was a bonus. She licked it off my finger or a spoon.

Sending loads of good vibes to Minty and to you cos this is a very hard time for both of you  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Love her as every day is precious now.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 15:31:50 PM »
What signs are there that she has arthritis? 

I got the impression that Minty doesn't like walking up and down the stairs or jumping on the bed which might point to arthritis esp if she is carrying some extra weight.  Stiffness of gait would be a pointer towards arthritis.  It's just very common in elderly cats.  Perhaps I misread your posts?   :shy:

Dingle stopped going upstairs for the last few years of her life but she was a dinkie little thing all her life so her arthritis wasn't exacerbated by her weight..   

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 15:19:50 PM »
Millie also has self reflecting head pads in all her beds and she even takes them to the cattery when she goes this time will be with the orthopedic bed as sadly she is the only one of mine the cat sittet can't do she has a phobia of needles but Millie has a fab new cattery and gets an inside run and is allowed to wander in the corridors at the cattery for exercise as she comes back when her treat box is rattled

Mt 20yo Floddy has dementia and it is the howling part that drives me nuts but she gets a treat and it stops apart from her forgotten how to use a grit box she can still jump 8 feet to the top of the cupboards where she sleeps apart from that she is hale and hearty according to the vet
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
I think you look after Minty so well and agree with what everyone has said.

Hot ears indicate a temperature.

My late Kocka was 20 when she passed to the Bridge and had failing hearing and flapping retinas due to high blood pressure. She had a 1/4 of a mini pill for that and it could be crushed ib her food.

But she had dementia which causes howling and it seriously drives one mad and nothing can be done to help it. So with all the other health issues like thyroid, kidneys, sight, hearing, dementia is the one you cant do anything abouut but you love them so much......................

If Minty has arthritus she will be in pain and need metacam, it can be mixed in food and most cats love it cos its sweet. Sadly it can have an adverse effect on kidneys but at a grand age it is better for quality of life.

Kocka used a box to get up on the sofa until close to the end and at that point she stayed on the ground and slept and howled. I used to hand feed her cos often they dont want to eat and I used to try and get as much of a can of AD diet into her as possible and if she would eat anything else it was a bonus. She licked it off my finger or a spoon.

Sending loads of good vibes to Minty and to you cos this is a very hard time for both of you  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Love her as every day is precious now.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »
I tend to make the noises from a far and not ones that will vibrate if you see what I mean, a loud voice - earlier she heard something outside and it was a dog barking, so she can hear a little, but not much. I do tend to make vibration to let her know i'm coming which i'm sure she appreciates.

Minty has no-one to chase or be chased by. I remember Dopey who went blind for the final couple months of her life used to be bopped on the head by Moses, her play mate - he didn't know but it confused her as to why he was still bopping her on the head.

I'll take a look at the mat - thanks. What signs are there that she has arthritis?

She is a very good size - quite a lump! The vets aren't open apart from emergencies until Monday, so will have to keep an eye on her over the weekend and if I get really concerned (I am worried, but she's coping - when I let he know i'm here, she's calm again) then i'll call emergency.

It's just strange she calms down when she knows i'm here - whether it is her ears and she needs to know I am here, or if I just reassure her.... I don't know.

Thanks.

Re her deafness.  She will still feel vibration.  Our lovely Tom and Dingle both lost their hearing towards the end of their lives and we used to knock the floor etc as we approached to avoid startling them.  Reduced hearing will also involve louder "talking".  Dingle in particular was extremely vocal as she lost her hearing almost completely.  Weirdly her deafness gave her a lot of freedom in her final years as Gandolf stopped chasing her  :)  She used to run if she knew he was about but stopped running when she couldn't hear him so he stopped chasing  :)

Arthritis too very likely at such a good age.  We still have the footstool by the side of the bed that our oldies used to use.  She may benefit from metacam as Liz says.  She may also benefit from a mat that reflects body heat? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-Self-Heating-Pet-Medium/dp/B002Q5AF84#productDetails

It's great that Minty is still such a good size and eating so well as she approaches 20.  She sounds like she is very much loved and well cared for  :Luv2:  Her buxom size doesn't seem to point to the usual kidney, thyroid, diabetes probs that elderly cats are prone to but I'm no vet.  If she is due a checkup though, I would recommend looking into some pain relief for arthritis to see how she responds but due to her age would also suggest usual geriatric blood test to hopefully rule other stuff out.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »
Re her deafness.  She will still feel vibration.  Our lovely Tom and Dingle both lost their hearing towards the end of their lives and we used to knock the floor etc as we approached to avoid startling them.  Reduced hearing will also involve louder "talking".  Dingle in particular was extremely vocal as she lost her hearing almost completely.  Weirdly her deafness gave her a lot of freedom in her final years as Gandolf stopped chasing her  :)  She used to run if she knew he was about but stopped running when she couldn't hear him so he stopped chasing  :)

Arthritis too very likely at such a good age.  We still have the footstool by the side of the bed that our oldies used to use.  She may benefit from metacam as Liz says.  She may also benefit from a mat that reflects body heat? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-Self-Heating-Pet-Medium/dp/B002Q5AF84#productDetails

It's great that Minty is still such a good size and eating so well as she approaches 20.  She sounds like she is very much loved and well cared for  :Luv2:  Her buxom size doesn't seem to point to the usual kidney, thyroid, diabetes probs that elderly cats are prone to but I'm no vet.  If she is due a checkup though, I would recommend looking into some pain relief for arthritis to see how she responds but due to her age would also suggest usual geriatric blood test to hopefully rule other stuff out.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »
Spunds like she has arthritus that stops them jumping my ground hugger Millie diabetic is 17 and on a very high doseage of Insulin and has bad arthritus as well, I give her a Metacam injection as and when required and she is certainly easier for a while once it kicks in, Metacam can also be given on wet food vet prescribed.  She also has an orthopedic bed now which she loves and I think thats helping to

My 2 Hyper T's are also feeling the heat at the moment and are seeking cooler spots I have fans on all day as find that helps to

Possibly. She can get around, I just think she's old and struggles up and down. Not really thought about arthritis.

The window where she sleeps on the sofa is slightly open and we have fans on.

You can tell how hot a cat is by the tips of their ears?

Thanks for your response.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »
I'll look at the step that Sue has linked me too - and the plug in she suggests - maybe a feliway may help?

She used to have cuddly toys, but stopped cuddling them - maybe I will try again.

A radio won't be much use I don't think. Her hearing is dodgy at best.

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe take her for a second opinion, a fresh pair of eyes may pick up on something your regular vet hasn't. Perhaps Minty is finding it more difficult to get up and down from the bed, is there any way you could make it easier for her by putting something she can use as a step? I would probably continue to carry her up and down stairs as this is probably too much for her. What about providing her with a cuddly toy to curl up to in her favourite napping spots and leaving a radio on low on a talk station when you are out?

Sending you and Minty a few  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
Hi Sue, Thanks for your lengthy reply.

Minty's hearing isn't great. I have been making noises that I know she reacts too - banging, whistling, weird noises - but I know that they need to be loud. She is hearing them though, but her hearing hasn't been great for a long while. She often doesn't know where the noise is coming from and looks in the opposite direction to where the noise is. Her eyes aren't the best, although she can see long distances, her vision is narrow. You need to be in front of her for her to see you as she seemingly has no peripheral vision.

Minty is a very affectionate cat. She doesn't come to you apart from at night, you have to go to her, but loves it when you do and will cuddle in with me. She may have had another seizure without us knowing. I guess I hadn't thought of it, as unlike the other two nobody has seen it and she hasn't been pacing around afterwards.

It's funny you mention Hyperthyroidism as I have the human variety. She's a yowler anyway, she likes to know someone is there, which isn't always possible, but I imagine she's never alone for more than 3-4 hours at a time. I think she was very slightly sick yesterday, but nothing else. She always has a big appetite, but usually clears a plate quickly. She hasn't lost any weight I would imagine - she's still a big lump! I'll try some dry food at night again, a mixture of wet and dry as she likes both, but prefers wet.

I don't mind carrying her at all - she can do it, I just do it to try and help her. I thought I would ask as I may have been taking away her freedom or similar. I'll look into those steps. Are they really easy for a cat. Would she realise what they were for?

She literally has two places she spends all of her time (aside food and litter) and that's her corner on the sofa (she won't go anywhere else on it) and my bed. She appears to feel safe there. If she makes it, she's 20 in October. Even though I know time is precious, she's a cat that just bounces back. I know one day she won't.

Everyone thinks she's spoilt because I buy her meat from the Deli etc. I agree she's just cared for and loved. It seems to have worked as she's nearly 20. Some people don't understand though.

I feared it may be the vet. She's sick on journeys and it's not my car. So stress for her, stress for me. I'll contact him and ask.

I know time is short now, but we've had great times together for the last near on 20 years. I guess I feel sad and teary thinking about it and i'm going to be completely lost when i've lost my final baby. I guess it annoys me that most people that I know just don't understand and that she's 'only a cat' or  work thinking it's not a good enough reason not to be available for overtime as they all have 'families' and should therefore get priority over holidays, days off and Christmas hours etc.

I've called in sick today as I feel rough myself and little sleep hasn't helped. I will have to go in tomorrow though. Only 6 hours and 1/2 hour lunch means I get to come home for 10 minutes as I don't work far away. I can check her and make sure she's ok and freshly fed. Partner and flat mate are both away assisting on  a summer camp until tomorrow night.

Thanks again for your response - I will respond to others now - and thanks for your link to the chair, below.

Miroslav, there are a few things which occur to me here about Minty, any of which could be the cause of her behavioural change, but let's just explore whether you think any of these may be an option.

When we had Paddy, who lived until he was just over twenty, he experienced a stroke at the age of 15.

As a result, he was left deaf, and it distressed him at first until he got used to the change.  He would seek us out much more, and cry.
He had never enjoyed being picked up, but as these changes occurred, he more and more wanted to be with us, to have us near, and to be cuddled.  It's possible Minty may have had another seizure you're not aware of, and it may have left her feeling confused and distressed.  Paddy used to pace restlessly - almost as if he couldnt quite settle.  If he wasn't pacing, he was sleeping.

Paddy also developed hyperthyroidism.  It's quite common in elderly cats, and can also lead to yowling in cats that haven't exhibited that behaviour before - especially at night, for some reason.  It may be worth asking your vet to specifically check for Hyperthyroidism.  It would normally affect their appetite too, and can lead to increased vomiting, weight loss - especially round the hindquarters, or eating little and often, so hence repeated requests for food.  The food often needs to be fresh to tempt their appetite, so food left out overnight wouldn't necessarily satisfy her (unless it's dried food, and she's accustomed to free feeding)

I wouldnt stop carrying her up and downstairs, if you dont mind doing it - it gives her much needed contact with you, and will help her access her old familiar places, which she might otherwise struggle to do on her own.  I suspect her not jumping on the bed may have more to do with age and agility (or lack of it).  You can get small cat steps from somewhere like the cat gallery (online) and these can be placed at one side of the bed to allow her to access the height more easily.

I dont think she's "whinging" as such, I think it's more likely to be physical changes which are affecting her.  19 years is an excellent age for a cat, but in human years she's almost a centenarian.  If she's feeling poorly she may purr.  It's long been thought that a cat's purr has a healing vibration which helps comfort a cat in discomfort, so can be used to help them feel better when in pain, just as much as being an expression of pleasure when they're happy.  If she's purring when she has her face tucked in to the sofa, this may also be an indication that she's in pain.  Cats hide it very well - as prey animals, they have to.

You clearly love Minty very much, and she loves you.  I wouldnt say she's spoilt - I'd say she's been beautifully cared for - there's a difference.   :hug:

The fact you're not feeling so good yourself won't be helping matters, as you'll need your rest and a good night's sleep.   It's probably worth a call to your vet, to talk through Minty's behavioural changes and asking if they think it's worth testing her for HyperT, or to see if there is anything else which may have changed since her last check up.   Often, your vet may be able to detect physical changes in the thyroid gland just by feeling it. Alternatively he may feel blood tests are sensible.

The  time that you and Minty have left with each other is very precious.  She won't be doing anything deliberately to "annoy" you.  She's only reacting to the age induced changes, which may be impacting her health in ways which aren't immediately obvious.  Elderly cats can be very demanding, but they're worth it.   Their health issues can keep us on our toes, and that's not always easy when you're not feeling great yourself, but I hope that you and Minty will continue to enjoy and benefit from each other's company for however long is left to Minty.

Link to CatChat