Author Topic: Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue Update  (Read 82653 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue Update
« Reply #491 on: October 12, 2011, 01:19:30 AM »
Poor soul, glad he is with you.
Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #490 on: October 10, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
mmm does sound a bit odd, still like you say safe now

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #489 on: October 10, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »
Surprisingly he is in very good condition, which made me very suspicious to start with, but it appears that two neighbours have been looking after him although neither could take him into their houses due to other animals.

The property he originates from backs on to the houses where he has been spending his time in the gardens, but they have (or purport to have) no knowledge of the registered owner on the microchip.  His coat is in amazing condition for being outside so I assume one of the neighbours has been grooming him.  Hie teeth are a bit bad so he has some T/D to try and help that and he is a good weight and very strong, as we found out when trying to get the blood.

I am still a bit wary of the story I have been given but the main priority is that he is now in the warm and dry.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #488 on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:19 AM »
poor persian, living like that for two years, must be in a right state

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #487 on: October 10, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
I am pleased to report that Mimi has decided to feed and look after her kittens again, just seemed to need a couple of day break (wouldn't we all like that :rofl: ).  Kittens are pleased but also see me as their second mummy so come running every time I enter the room.

Persian is now with me.  He is a stunner.  Is microchipped but all contact numbers and address deny knowledge of the owner of the cat and seeing as he has been living outside for the last two years it seems likely he was left behind.  His original name was "Puffy" :shocked:  but I have decided to call him "Bear".  He has been to the vet this morning for FELV/FIV test to be on the safe side.  He is a cuddlebum but put up a fight for blood test and vet had trouble finding his neck through all the fur :rofl: , will try and post photos later.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #486 on: October 08, 2011, 21:14:46 PM »
Hope the bottle feeding is going OK  :hug: Love the name Aleksandr, I bet he is a cutie  :Luv2:

Great news for Squeak & Fluffy  ;D  Has the woman been feeding the hedge Persian? Poor thing, two years  :( I wonder if any of the breed specific rescues might be able to squeeze her in?

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #485 on: October 08, 2011, 14:02:43 PM »
Yet again,RSPCA proving that they just  don't care!

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #484 on: October 08, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
Great news about Squeak and Fluffy.
So pleased for you that rehoming has improved in some aspects.

I've emailed you a couple of photos, check out the hissing Wordy.

Nicky

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #483 on: October 08, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
Some great news in those last few posts. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #482 on: October 08, 2011, 08:51:05 AM »
Unfortunately, new mum got very stressed being contained in a pen with her babies and just sat in her litter tray ignoring her kittens.  I decided to move them down to the lounge to see if that calmed her down but no good, so let her out of the pen to see if that helped and she is now acting like she has lived here all her life and never had kittens - just completely ignores them, even when they were crying in distress :'( .

So I have taken over bottle feeding duties, and babies are now feeding quite well.  One, Aleksandr, (yes it is spelt right - Meerkats :rofl: ) is already taking interest in solid food so hopefully it won't be for too long.

Going to visit someone tomorrow who reckons she has a persian that has been living in her hedge for two years!!  RSPCA not interested as they told the woman that cats have a right to roam and therefore they do not pick up strays!!!!

Good news is that Squeak and Fluffy were reserved last night and will be going to their new home together in a couple of weeks. :wooooo:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #481 on: October 07, 2011, 14:44:45 PM »
Gosh Lesley, you have been busy! Was just coming on here to send you a pm and spotted the update!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #480 on: October 05, 2011, 15:33:43 PM »
I saw the latest RSPCA advert a couple of nights ago and reckon its breaking the trade descriptions Act cos its implying that the money is going to rescues and most seeing it will believe that means the various shelters and of course that is not true.

They give such a loving caring image of themselves which is only partly true.

Pleased the blind cats owners have him back  :hug:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #479 on: October 05, 2011, 13:33:16 PM »
It makes you despair,why don't people nowadays get their cats neutered/spayed? As to the reference about the RSPCA,i see they're still advertising.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #478 on: October 05, 2011, 13:03:48 PM »
allergic to 10 kittens more like - what a state to get into I know accidents happen but honestly

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #477 on: October 05, 2011, 12:22:48 PM »
Just had a call about two mums and 10 kittens.  Chap needs to find homes for them as soon as possible, baby is allergic and he has new job.  Kittens are only four weeks old!!!

No room here for that many unfortunately.  He has a list of numbers to get through but is finding everywhere full.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #476 on: October 05, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
Good news.  Just phoned to arrange the pick up of elderly tom and his owners have been to collect him. ;D   Apparently he is blind so don't know how he escaped his home but I am so pleased he has been found - I was beginning to panic as to where I was going to put him. :shocked:

New mum has finally eaten, turns out she likes the dry food and not the wet, so will go out later and get her some proper dry kitten food to keep her energy up.  She seems to have settled more now and babies are content and playing.  One has beautiful face with a white line all around his top jaw, giving him a really smiley face. :Luv2:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #475 on: October 05, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
Thanks, mum and kittens are well, lady whose garden they were in took them to her vet yesterday to check mum for a chip (none found obviously) and all were given a clean bill of health.  Mum is very friendly but stressed at being confined.  Did not eat last night but hopefully that will change this morning.  she is very friendly and loves a fuss which always makes things easier, definitely better than Water Melon.

Babies are approximately 3-4 weeks old, didn't really have time to look at them probably last night but definitely one tortie (I'm not saying girl until I have looked - Phoenix caught me out on that one) and two black and whites and one black.  Mum is a lovely tortie.

The boy I am picking up later is an older neutered Ginger Tom - don't know the extent of his vision problems - just got to find somewhere for him to go now!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #474 on: October 05, 2011, 08:22:54 AM »
Just sending a few  :hug: :hug: :hug: Lesley.  Well done for taking mom and kittens in and hope they are OK.  Very much hope you get some interest from prospective slaves soon.

So pleased that Jester made it back home and that Wordsworth has a fabulous new one  :wow:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:10 AM »
God Lesley, 1 out 6 in. Good luck with my friend on friday.

Rehoming vibes coming you way.

Nicky x

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #472 on: October 05, 2011, 08:05:50 AM »
Another mum and four kittens picked up last night, woman had tried for four days to get through to the RSPCA about them, when she finally did they said to phone Cats Protection!!

Another oldie to pick up today, has vision problems but RSPCA won't take him and refuse to pay for any treatment for him.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #471 on: October 04, 2011, 12:28:12 PM »
Sorry to hear about the ones that didn't make it Lesley  :hug: Great news for Jester though, and of course the fabulous Wordsworth  :Luv:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #470 on: October 04, 2011, 08:37:50 AM »
Sorry it has been so long since I gave an up-date here.  Been very busy at work covering holidays etc and busy here with cats.

Water Melon's babies are now seven weeks old and are gorgeous babies, the cleanest kittens I think I have ever had.  Senna is a brown bundle of fluff and completely different to his two shorthaired black brothers Hamilton and Herbert.  One of them is already reserved.  Water Melon herself is beginning to enjoy fuss and as soon as she is dry I will be getting her neutered.

Has been a busy time on the cat front but most of them are sad stories.

Had a call from one of the new girls at work in desperation.  Her and a friend had bought a siamese male for Breeding (don't go there!!!) but decided he was too nice and had re-homed him.  The person they re-homed him to had also moved him on and, to cut a long story short, he had been hit by a car.  His microchip was registered to the first owner and they were contacted to say he was injured.  After getting in contact with the next two owners, no one would take responsibility for payment of any care for him and I agreed to take him on.  He was brought to the Hospital where I work and xrays taken.  Unfortunately, his hips were completely smashed to bits and, although surgery through referral was an option, it was felt that he would be in constant pain with arthritis.  Being only 3 years old, I felt it was not fair for him to live the rest of his life in pain and he was put to sleep in my arms.  RIP Ripley, sorry I couldn't help any more.  :'(

The following day a stray cat was brought in found in somebody's garden - a definite siamese cross with beautiful blue eyes and long nose - he looked a very old boy who was starving.  Again, I agreed that if no owner came forward I would pay for his care.  Unfortunately, it turned out he was a  young cat suffering from FELV.  another one gone to the bridge too soon. :(

The latest one was an old boy, 18 years old in fact.  She was taken to a local vets who phoned me saying they had tried everywhere for a space for her and no one would take her and they would have to put her to sleep so off I go to pick her up.

Took her straight to my vet who confirmed my suspicion that she was in fact a neutered "he" (remind me not to use that vet if they can't sex a cat!!!).  Did FELV/FIV test and all clear
so came home to isolation and back to work the following Monday for blood tests etc.  Fortunately, owner phoned me on Monday to say he was hers and "Jester" was returned home that day.  As I said, he was 18 and a bit doddery but at least he has made it home. :Luv2:

Finally, I am sure someone will report shortly but one of my babies left yesterday for his new home.  Quite a few tears from me but he has gone to a wonderful home and will be spoilt rotten. ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #469 on: August 23, 2011, 21:55:48 PM »
Water Melon has to be the best name for a Mum cat... ever!  :naughty:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #468 on: August 23, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »
Hectic week for you then, I worked all week, had shed loads of washing to do, luckily Pete is fairly well housetrained now and does things without me asking him, taken 4 years to get him that far.lol

Had some lovely cuddles with Poppy this morning, highlight of my days off, spending fuss time with the cats.

Hoping to go and give bood today, but not sure if I can, because I take thyroxine. Will find out later.

Glad all cats are ok, cheeky Wordsworth, Charlie used to get under the coffee table so we couldn't get him.

What a shock for the little girl, thinking she needed the loo and having 3 babes instead!!!  :)

Nicky x

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #467 on: August 23, 2011, 09:17:47 AM »
Been really busy here with work, was in every day last week so spent the weekend tidying up after my messy crew.

Water melon has given birth to three black beauties.  Was a bit shocked by the whole experience.  Had them in her litter tray so she and babies were covered and she didn't seem to know what they were or where they had come from :-: .  I had to clean them all up, cut them from the afterbirths, cos mum didn't do anything -  think she thought she was going for a poo and these three "things" came out instead :evillaugh: .  But after the initial shock she has been a very good mum, all babies have done is eat and sleep for a week.  Two of them now have their eyes open and are spitting at me. :rofl:   Mum has calmed down and although she hisses at me initially she now enjoys a fuss and starts purring.  Will try and get some photos of them but I think it will probably be a blur of black. :rofl:   Think they are three boys.

Nero and Wordsworth are fine.  Wordsworth likes to escape into the front room and hide in the tunnel so I can't get him out. :rofl:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #466 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:44 AM »
Hi Lesley, whats new with your crew? Has the watermelon had her babes yet? How are Wordsworth and Nero?

Nicky x

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #465 on: July 31, 2011, 23:22:22 PM »
 :rofl: i can imagine about 6 of your babes Les hun on it at the same time! 

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #464 on: July 31, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »
Ha ha ha can totally see why its called Chewbacca lol!
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #463 on: July 30, 2011, 19:21:33 PM »
The site does look great! :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #462 on: July 30, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »
I love this thread. :) The site looks wonderful, Lesley.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #461 on: July 30, 2011, 09:24:24 AM »
This is Charlie, when he was brave enough to get close to Chewbacca, sitting on the old favoured and now destroyed post.  :)

Nicky

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #460 on: July 29, 2011, 23:18:03 PM »
Mad cats, which rascal is responsible? or was it a joint effort? At least its getting used. Think pics required though, so people understand why I called it chewbacca, and that not all the cats toys have names, except that and the da fur thing, otherwise known as 'licky tongue tongues.'  :rofl:
Nicky

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #459 on: July 29, 2011, 21:27:26 PM »
Nicky, I regret to inform you that Chewbacca (sp) has suffered a major injury :Crazy:

Don't worry folks, all cats are okay but Nicky brought round a lovely giant scratching post, which she called chewbacca, that Charlie and Poppy had basically ignored for a year.

Less than 48 hours and it is now more of a leaning tower of sisal :rofl: .  Mike will be carrying out first aid tomorrow. :innocent:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #458 on: July 29, 2011, 19:09:45 PM »
Lucky for the draw, will have to have more draw tickets, can't leave anyone out.  :rofl:

Nicky

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #457 on: July 29, 2011, 17:48:13 PM »
Oooh, lucky you Nickynoo! (yes, I know it rhymes  :naughty:)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 17:52:29 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #456 on: July 29, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »
You read my mind. You know I have a soft spot for b&w. :Luv:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #455 on: July 29, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
If you want a cuddlebum Nicky, then I think Wordsworth is your man.  And maybe Nero to add a little colour :rofl:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #454 on: July 29, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »
One or two, not sure yet. Depends who wants to live with us.  :Luv: just got to get new kitchen sorted, then we can have a new spoilt babe.
Won't be long now.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #453 on: July 29, 2011, 08:33:35 AM »
he is so cute!  so are you having a new addition nickynoo??

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #452 on: July 28, 2011, 16:52:45 PM »
I was lucky enough to meet this little hooligan yesterday!!! My god he has some energy he is a lovely little fella, he was giving the older kittens a run for their money.
I could quite easily have come home with some new additions yesterday, choosing will be hard work when the time comes, Nero, Wordsworth and Squirrel are all equally gorgeous. Lesley you will have to choose for me, or maybe I should let Pete choose this time???  :rofl:

Nicky x

FINALLY ..........................................

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 16:54:19 PM by nickynoo93 »

Link to CatChat