Author Topic: How to get your cat outside  (Read 2646 times)

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
Re: How to get your cat outside
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 18:52:15 PM »
Both my cats are indoor only, I for one am happier this way after my last two cats just disappeared, both ginger toms.

My two spend most their time napping on the window ledges or sit watching the world go by, we have constructed a 'play area ' for them consisting of a cat tree & carpeted shelves, Tia especially loves these. Although the best fun they have had so far has been with empty cardboard boxes!!

I can monitor what they eat and I know that nobody else is feeding them god knows what!! I dont have the fear of them not coming home and I know they are not making a nuisance of themselves, I am quite aware not all people are cat lovers (heaven know why not!!!)

So dont feel guilty about keeping cats indoors, I certainly dont, they are shown to lead a less stressful life apparently and have a longer life span (I googled indoor only cats before I got mine & thats what I found)

This is their play area so far, Tia is demonstrating!!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 14:53:14 PM »
Agree with the others, if she doesnt want to go out that is fine.

I have 4 cats and the two eldest hardly ever go outside now by choice. The two youngest 8 and 10 yrs are in and out like yoyos but when the weather was really bad with thick snow they also choose to stay in most of the time.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 21:39:44 PM »
I think sticking her out would be more cruel, let her stay in and dont worry what other people say, they dont know her  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 18:18:05 PM »
I agree with the others, just let her do things in her own time, I bet, when the weather's better she'll be more inclined to go out  :) Just because she's not interested now, doesnt mean she won't be in the future. Mine can all go out whenever they want, but most of them have been choosing to stay indoors for the past few months. I know when the good weather comes they'll be out and about though   ;)

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 18:15:12 PM »
I'd go with the keeping her safe indoors, if she's not bothered about going out.

However you mention that when you do go out, you carry her about in your arms. Apparently that's not the best way to do it, and might make her feel insecure which is why she dashes back 'home' as soon as you put her down.

As others have said, it might be better to let her dictate the pace, by leaving the door open when you go out into the garden. She may chose to come out and join you, and then investigate the garden at her own pace. By leaving it up to her whether to come out or not, she can feel in control and nip back inside whenever she wants to.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 13:41:28 PM »
They do vary an awful lot. The Munchkin spends the majority of his time outside in the summer- getting him in of a night is a major challenge. On the other hand, I've had cats who rarely venture outside. I agree with the others- just follow her lead on it.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 13:19:25 PM »
My two cats Ollie and Tyler have been house cats and have never had the instinct to go outside. Originally they were going to go out side bt never went. I checked with my vet and he said it was fine as long as they were happy enough in there self and had plenty of toys and got played with there was no probs. After age of one i wen to use indoor cat food and 6 years on they both still happy

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
As an owner of a very happy, very content, loveable, very healthy, very outgoing housecat I would say  :P to those saying it's cruel or the worst thing ever. They don't know what they are on about ... some cats wouldn't be suited to staying indoors but for others it is absolutely not a problem.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
Not if it's through choice and she's got plenty of mental stimulation. Each cat has a different personality and even if one loves being outside, doesn't mean all cats do. :)

She'll show you what she wants, just follow her lead on it and don't let other people tell you what she's after. She knows better than they do! ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »
Ok thanks guys, so its really not that bad for her to stay inside? Other people were making out like it was the worst thing ever!
www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk

Owned by 7 rabbits and a 2 cats

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:40:05 AM »
Mine rarely go out until the summer. Kylie loves the outdoors but isn't very interested this time of year. From March/April onwards, she only comes in to eat. Alice & Clapton rarely go out at all unless it is really hot. I agree it is best to let them choose, via the catflap. I carry Alice outside sometimes when it is warm. Sometimes she stays for a while and other times, will come in straight away.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 19:30:38 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 09:34:33 AM »
If you're happy giving your girl access to outside but she's choosing not to then by no means force her. Some cats love going outdoors, others aren't fussed. I had a lovely lad called Toby who really only went out in summer; and even then he usually stayed in our garden and sunbathed....

I've always given my cats the choice and let them show me what they want...it's easier that way! ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
I certainly wouldn't force her, she's onbviously happy staying indoors and may well start to go a bit further when the warmer weather arrives but I personally would be relieved she didn't want to leave the comforts of home!

My two are now indoor cats after being outdoor cats previously as I now live in a flat on a main road and unfortunately that's not going to change anytime soon as I am moving to a 2nd floor flat next weekend. Neither of them are in the least bit bothered by this much to my relief. As long as they are stimulated and happy it doesn't matter what other people think.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »
Let her take it at her own pace, if she wants to go outside in the Spring/Summer, then leave the door open and see if she wants to wander out, it may well be she'll only go out if you're there too.

Don't worry if she doesn't venture out though, both my boys have been indoor only (due to being FIV+), Max used to make the occasional break for it to munch on grass, but Poot shows no interest at all, both strong, happy and healthy cats.

:hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 06:26:48 AM »
If she's happy inside I certainly wouldn't force her,  she'll be safer too.  My cats rarely go out only out with me in the summer really but if they want to stay in that's fine  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 23:14:38 PM »
I suspect  she'll go onto the patio when (if) warmer weather comes, but probably won't want to wander off on her own

for which I would be very grateful, as she will never get lost then

I would discourage any venturing out in the dark though, as that is the most dangerous time for cats on the road
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 22:58:45 PM »
I had a rescue cat who wouldn't go outdoors properly for many months, it wasn't until late Spring when the door was open and I was gardening all day that she started venturing further than the step. Eventually she began bringing home the spoils of her forays into the nearby fields, and ganging up with our other mogster to beat up the neighbours cats!  :-[ So I think it is worth persevering, but at your furball's own pace.

She may still end up like my current cat, Noah, who is indoor due to a paw condition and the fact that I live in a city centre flat. He doesn't even go as far as the front door just not interested in what is beyond, and was apparently the same in his foster home. I have said elsewhere that I think he likes to be a big fish in a small pond! Noah can highly recommend the Bergan Turbo Track from Purrs shop which gets some serious playtime day and night.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 22:59:16 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
How to get your cat outside
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 22:42:33 PM »
Hi guys back for more advice please :)

How do you get your cat to go outside? If she won't go out is it ok for her to be a 'house' cat? Everyone i speak to thinks its cruel to not let a cat out but she is choosing not to go out!! I am at my wits end with it.

How can i encourage her to go out and get used to it? We have been taking her outside and like carrying her aall round the garden and talking to all the buns and as soon as i put her down she runs back in, we always leave the back door wide open when we are outside but she never chooses to come on her own, she will sit on the step and as soon as you approach bolt right back inside.

It was a lovely day today so i took her outside with me to do the rounds this morning and i took some of her toys out and tried to play with her on the patio but all she did was cry the whole time until i let her in.

On the other hand when we have popped outside to take the rubbish out when it is dark she has followed a few times, its very strange behaviour, she has only done this a few times and every time it has been dark in the eves.

I really don't know what to do, is being a house cat enough?
www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk

Owned by 7 rabbits and a 2 cats

Link to CatChat