Author Topic: ECG's and ultrasounds??  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: ECG's and ultrasounds??
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »
From what I've read in cat books and seen on big cat documentaries, felines have a very limited aerobic ability, which means that they get puffed out very quickly (something to do with their heart/lung capacity). They're designed for short sprints, so if their prey keeps running, the cat loses it by being outrun.

Cats can only exercise for short periods, then need to take a break before continuing.

This may be what's happening with your cat, Helen; but it's probably best to have him checked out to be certain.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 13:11:45 PM »
no probably not helen as they had to be held properly in a recumbant position so not to interfere with the readings. They might arrange it for you to wait in reception while they do it but i'd have thought unlikely...if he's going in for whole day maybe put both of them to share kennel.

I meant to say to you...cody sometimes panted after excersise when he was a kitten and that worried me, he recovered quite quickly and doesnt seem to do it as an adult.

the video will be very useful for the vet !

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 13:08:00 PM »
Thanks Lynn

Do you think your vet would have entertained the owner holding the patient? The thought of leaving him on is own when I could be there for him is awful  :(  He's done the panting thing again this morning after 10 minutes of manic chasing, I've videod it on my phone so I can show the vet if need be.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 13:03:52 PM »
as far as i can remember its preferable to have an ecg done on the concious patient as any type of sedative is obviously a depressant which can mask/alter whats happening normally.

yes ultrasounds non painful but you do need to lie quite still or you lose the image (ive had 40 odd ultrasounds so think i speak on good authority of them  ;D )

never seen an ultrasound in an animal but have held dogs for the ecg (cant remember if we did any cats but non spring to mind..doesnt mean we didnt though) 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 21:24:56 PM »
yesterday he was skitting around with his mouse, not going mental but darting around for about 10 mins and he did it then. 

That's what I'd keep a close eye on.  It may just have been a combination of playing and the warm weather (it's very humid and stuffy here) but try to make a note of exactly what he's been doing before he starts panting.  Cats in their natural environment dont' take much energetic exercise.  They just stalk their prey and then pounce - they don't do much running - so they're not really suited to the manic play that some kittens indulge in! 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 21:11:00 PM »
Ummmm you should have been Scatty and believe me I am an expert on these. It does depend on the level of sedation but I would have to be out cos even then I fight and bite...........I am so terrified  :'( :'( :'(

I am sure Riley is fine Helen but would do as vet instructs  ;)

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 20:58:36 PM »
I wonder if sedation is the norm then Scattycat, she said he would be awake but maybe she meant that he wouldn't need a GA?

That's kinda the case - done know if you've been 'lucky' enough to be sedated whilst having any teeth out, but it is a bit like you've drank half a bottle of whisky  :wow:, and you're drifing in and out of conciousness, so yes, you're not completely out of it like in a general.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 20:17:13 PM »
I have had both done and its nothing to worry about at all.

I had an ultrasound done 2 years ago after my dad died of an aortic aneurism. They just put some KY jelly on a pad and run it over the area.

The ECG had several pads but again nothing intrusive
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 20:07:35 PM »
Hi Helen,

Imogen had a cardiac ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and though the vet said they may have to sedate her, it turned out they didn't need to so I guess it depends whether or not Riley's in a cooperative frame of mind at the time  :evillaugh:.

Milly's mum is right, it is just like the ultrasound that pregnant women have so it won't hurt Riley at all  :)

I couldn't stay with Imogen while she had hers done...your vet may have a different policy though.

Don't worry [easier said than done, I know], Riley will sail through it I'm sure.

I hope everthing comes back fine for you both  :luck:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 19:45:57 PM »
He's definitely more energetic in play than Lucas and it's normally after heavy exertion but yesterday he was skitting around with his mouse, not going mental but darting around for about 10 mins and he did it then.  He doesn't pant at any other time, not even in the car - he's too busy meowing!

Yep, they're both insured (M&S) so finances will not be a factor in my decision.  It wasn't like she was saying that he had to have the tests she just said that if it continued it would need looking into as she said the human ear /stethoscope cannot detect everything.  Luckily I'm off for the next three days so will be able to watch him like a hawk to see how often it happens and make a decision from there.

She was very taken with Riley and commented on what a big boy he was for his age, after the examination he launched himself into my arms and snuggled up against me while nuzzling my face for the whole time I was talking to her - she said 'Oooh he loves him Mum doesn't he' I was beaming with pride  :Luv:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 19:46:32 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 19:36:57 PM »
I first noticed Jaffa panting when I bought him a cat dancer toy.  He went mad for it and would race up and down the room until he was panting.  Magpie never panted but he was never quite so energetic.  He'd run around but not quite as manically as Jaffa.  I was very alarmed the first time but he was due at the vets for something routine (neutering I think) so I asked about it and the vet (and the vet nurse who was also present) said that so long as it was only following exertion, it was normal.  Exactly the same happened with Mosi.  He'll race up and down the room, leaping in the air and doing somersaults until he pants.  He'd happily continue but I make him rest for a few minutes.  Neither of them have ever panted at any other time, although Jaffa will pant in the car due to stress.  A few people on another cat forum I use have mentioned their cat panting after play.  It's certainly not unusual.

Is Riley the more active of the 2?

I think if Riley is only panting after he's been running then I wouldn't worry about it.  If he's panting after mild exertion or at any other time I'd definitely get it checked out.  I assume you've got insurance for them?  I remember you trying to get it sorted out before you got the boys.  In which case it wouldnt hurt to get the ultrasound and rule out any heart problems.  I certainly wouldn't advise you to go against your vet if she's recommending the tests, but she may just be erring on the side of caution, or may just not be aware that cats can pant! 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 19:38:57 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 19:18:26 PM »
Thanks everyone  ;D

I wonder if sedation is the norm then Scattycat, she said he would be awake but maybe she meant that he wouldn't need a GA?

Susanne - Yes, he only pants after medium/heavy play sessions.  After she had listened to his heart (couldn't hear anything untoward) I asked her if she would be worried if it was her cat.  She just said it's not normal and that if he continues to do it then advised the ECG/ultrasound.  I think what has made it worse is the contrast between Riley after play and Lucas after play.   He has done it for a few weeks now and I wasn't worried about it as it's only after he's gone mad playing but after what happened to Sarah's poor little Tom I thought I should get it checked out as panting can indicate heart issues.

She said that if he doesn't pant over the next few days then it could have been a low level infection but he is certainly not showing any signs of that now, temperature normal and he is bright and alert, eating/drinking and causing havoc. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 19:02:51 PM »
Riley might have to have an ECG and ultrasound in a few days as he is panting after medium/heavy play...

Is it only after play that he's panting, Helen?  That's quite common in cats and so long as he's not panting at other times (when he's not been running around) I wouldn't worry.  Did the vet seem to think there might be something other than simple exertion causing the panting?  If your vet recommends the tests I wouldn't deter you and it might help to be sure there's nothing wrong, but both Jaffa and Mosi pant after exercise (Jaffa doesnt now but did when he was younger).   I asked my vet about it when Jaffa was a kitten and was reassured it was normal.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 18:54:56 PM »
Our cat Suki had an ultrasound last Friday - they wanted to check her generally but near to her liver / pancreas - turns out she's got an 'odd' looking spleen - but we're holding off the surgery for the time being (trying other things first).

Anyway, I think normally they can do the ultrasounds under sedation, however they had to put Suki under a general anths' as she was putting up a fight apparently!  ;D

I didnt realise just how much they actually shaved to do the ultrasounds - it probably just looks worse as she's a semi-long hair cat!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 18:43:40 PM »
Taz had an ultrasound scan for his bladder, i imagine its just like a pregnant woman. I wouldnt think it takes long to do.
Not sure about ECG. I dont reckon they would have you outback with them, he would be put in a kennel and then treated as the rota permits  :-:
If my wimpy Taz can do it Riley will be fine  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 17:59:24 PM »
Dont know much apart from it wont be a painfull procedure for him  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
ECG's and ultrasounds??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 17:49:05 PM »
Riley might have to have an ECG and ultrasound in a few days as he is panting after medium/heavy play... I was wondering what they entail, she said he would be awake for both procedures but has anyone had either done to their cats?  Will I get to stay with him while it's done?  How long does it take?

Link to CatChat