Author Topic: Rufus is poorly  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Rufus is poorly
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 22:27:05 PM »
Glad to hear Rufus has perked up, he must finish the course of healing head kisses though  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 22:04:45 PM »
Wonderful  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 16:51:37 PM »
Excellent news  :yesss:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline LisaAndRufus

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 14:47:23 PM »
Well, we have just been to see Ms Vet today - Rufus proving himself to be a shameless lady's man.  :rolls eyes:

Ms Vet was very pleased, his temperature is down, which proves he is responding well to the antibiotics.  He was so well-behaved with Ms Vet, bless him, he stood still while she was taking his temperature, didn't hiss or struggle (like he did with Mr Vet yesterday!) and after she had taken it, he sprawled out on the table, purring his head off!  Ms Vet said "you really shouldn't be this chilled out after what I just did to you!" and wrote on his record "purred after thermometer"!!

So we are back home now, Rufus is in his new snoozy spot behind the TV unit, which I'm happy about, because it's nice and cool for him.  I am poaching some coley fish for his lordship's lunch and I can finally relax!

Thanks for all your support, I am pleased to say my gorgeous boy is nearly back to his normal self again!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 09:28:06 AM »
not sure if it would have been heatstroke, it would take a long time in very high temperatures to cause that and we arent really in full summer heatwave temps yet.

sounds to me like he could have had a wee bug or something and has responded very positively to the antibiotics.

Hope he continues to recover well.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 09:23:11 AM »
Aw, glad Rufus is a bit brighter today, and I hope his temparature has come down  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline LisaAndRufus

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 08:45:01 AM »
He is so much brighter this morning, bless him.  He had some boiled chicken last night, and I managed to get three syringes of fishy water into him, because I needed to keep his fluids up.  He is actively seeking cuddles this  morning, which is a good sign, and he is very vocal because he wants to go outside!  I have just given him his antibiotics tablet - I crushed it in some more fishy water and syringed it into him - he was not impressed!  But he seems a lot lot brighter, and I am confident that his temperature has come down.

The vet didn't say what he thought was causing the temperature, but I'm definitely leaning towards heatstroke.  He has a terrible habit of sitting in the sun for hours and I'm sure that couldn't have helped.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 07:49:05 AM »
Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 22:39:09 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow Lisa & Rufus. I'm sure it will be fine  :ahh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 22:24:55 PM »
Good luck tomorrow  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 21:21:32 PM »
awww, will do Lisa, lets hope he feels much better tomorrow
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline LisaAndRufus

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 20:52:59 PM »
The vet had a look at his eyes and said they are a bit sore, but no infection there - the temperature was more of a worrying thing.

He has eaten this evening, so thankfully has got some fluid in him from the chicken.  I have also boiled some coley fish for him, and when he emerges from his hiding place behind the TV unit, I will give him some of the fishy water.  He has snuggled himself into a nice cool spot and is snoozing, so I am worrying slightly less now.  Please keep your fingers crossed that his temperature has gone down when I take him back to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks for the thoughts and the purrs, Rufus and I are very grateful.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 20:49:18 PM »
Poor Rufus, the boys send a healing head kiss for him and a snuggly purr for you  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 20:21:08 PM »
poor Rufus Lisa,

didn't the vet say what was wrong with his eye?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline LisaAndRufus

• Kitten
Rufus is poorly
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 18:02:25 PM »
I noticed yesterday that Rufus had a gunky eye, but otherwise he seemed ok.  This morning, he was very quiet, very listless and wasn't interested in eating at all.  So I got off work early and took him to the vet.

Well, turns out he has a fever.  His temperature was 105.  He has been given two lots of antibiotic injections, and has antibiotic tablets as well.  I have to take him back to the vet tomorrow and if his temperature hasn't come down, then he will have to have some blood samples taken.

Since he has had the injections, he has brightened up a lot and has eaten some boiled chicken, which has made me feel a bit better, and means he's got some fluids into him.  I'm going to try to get him to drink some water, and keep an eye on him and take him back tomorrow.

I really really hope the antibiotics work and his temperature comes down.  I am so worried about him. 

Link to CatChat