Author Topic: Charlie's dragging his bum on the ground...  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
Re: Charlie's dragging his bum on the ground...
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 20:26:08 PM »
Hey Milly's Mum,

No they didn't find anything too sinister in his sample, just identified he had a UTI. He's on antibiotics now and special UTI food. He seems just fine although he had the squitters today which I'm putting down to the change in diet and antibiotics.
Grrr! I already bought a water fountain from Pets at Home which was the only one available and £35. It's a bit rubbish I think - I was expecting something spectacular but it's a mere trickle....
Wish I'd known about your website!! I'll know for next time...
THanks.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 19:17:04 PM »
Poor poppit, Taz had his sample taken that way aswell as x rays. Did they find anything in Charlies sample? I hope he doesnt have crystals.
Taz has just learnt how to use his water fountain so im pleased the £30 hasnt gone to waste  :)

If you buy a cat it fountain the cheapest i found is from http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Accessories.html they also sell yummy food!  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 09:42:42 AM »
Do you mean 10 past 10 Ela

I might do. You should know I am fluffybanana eyed when I look at the clock. ;D 10 past 2 may be a little painful, especially if you have thick fingers.

fluffybanana

Oh! no not that problem again, I hope the newbies understand  that is not what I typed. I typed c o c k as one word and then it comes out as fluffybanana
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:30:58 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 09:39:12 AM »
However...Charlie has again been darting in and out of his tray. I inspected after he peed this morning and found blood in his urine.

Another good reason why everyone should provide a litter tray (even for indoor /outdoor cats) Had you no tray you may well have not picked up the problem so quickly and prevented suffering. We just do not know what the put in that hole in the garden, do we?

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 17:12:19 PM »
Hey Milly's Mum...

Charlie's bladder wasn't full so they needed to sedate him to extract his wee. Vet brought it out in a syringe - highly concentrated and bloody. Poor Charlie!
I've always given Charlie wet food - a half sachet at night. The vet suggested getting a water fountain too. There's always water out for Charlie but he's endlessly fascinated by running taps and jumps in and laps up water after I've been in the shower.
Tbh the vet didn't seem to be touting Hills. He said if it worked for him before without problems, I may as well go back to it.
But first I've bought some UTI food from the vet which I'll give him with his drops for the next couple of weeks.

He's feeling better- still a little whoozy but can't resist attending to the fax machine and printer which is always a good sign. What would I do without my little office assistant?....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 16:31:45 PM »
I hope Charlie is feeling better soon.
Out of interest why did he need sedating?

Dont feel bad about changing his diet, although that may have altered his ph they can get a uti for other reasons. Did they/are they going to check a sample for ph, bacteria or crystals?

If you feed a 100% dry diet i would suggest introducing some wet food, water turnover is very important in cats prone to uti's. This is something your vet wont have suggested because most of them swear by dry hills  >:(

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 14:40:35 PM »
Thanks Clare and Max...
Much appreciated.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 14:14:30 PM »
Aw, give Charlie a gentle head rub from me  :hug:

He's probably feeling a little sluggish right now, he'll perk up again later and you'll be wondering why you were so worried  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 13:04:35 PM »
the vet would be able to empty them for you.

Have you done it Lynn?  Nice isn't it, what is it 20 t0 4 or 10 past 2? (finger positions) splat  ;D

Do you mean 10 past 10 Ela?  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 12:58:01 PM »
Aw poor Charlie.......dont worry as he's still full of sedative and all cats react differently to it......

Get well soon Charlie  :hug:

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 12:18:05 PM »
Back from the vets (£70 later....)
It was indeed a urinary tract infection. Charlie needed sedated and vet gave him antibiotics and I've got stuff I need to give him for the next three weeks. Vet puts it down to my changing his diet from Hills to Pets at Home in the last month and has given me some special urinary dry food for him for the next little while. Then I'm back to Hills - it may be pricier but he never experienced any problems with it before so devil you know and all that...

Charlie can barely raise his head now. He's on the bed looking really sorry for himself and just looking into space. I hate seeing him like this. I thought I was going to cry twice at the vet's when they brought him through from sedation. I hate to think he's in discomfort and can't tell me.

Anyway thanks again for all your advice and support. I love this forum!
x

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »
Aw, good luck again today, I'm sure Charlie will be fine  :)

Probably just needs some antibiotics or something if there is bit of an infection. 

Keep us posted.

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »
The vet had a good check of Charlie's glands but found nothing sinister. He also gave his tummy a good feel to see if something was hanging around and having difficulty getting passed. He suspected Charlie had maybe eaten a bit of string or something and was having trouble passing it.

However...Charlie has again been darting in and out of his tray. I inspected after he peed this morning and found blood in his urine. I was so alarmed and rang the vet who suspects a urinary tract infection so am heading back there at 11am. Am so, so worried about little Charlie. He seems fine - he's eating, playing, being mischievous as usual but clearly something is very wrong.

I'll let you all know what happens from here.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 08:12:15 AM »
the vet would be able to empty them for you.

Have you done it Lynn?  Nice isn't it, what is it 20 t0 4 or 10 past 2? (finger positions) splat  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 08:08:41 AM »
impacted anal glands.

That was my first thought. ;D and so easily remedied.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 17:15:22 PM »
Well done, let us know how you get on

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 16:58:20 PM »
Just rang the vet. We're off in ten minutes! She suspects anal glands too.
Thanks so much, all of you.
S

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 16:48:59 PM »
highly likely he could have worms them.  cats can get tapeworm and have roundworm, with roundworm the larvae stages lie dormant within the body ie muscle and organs and will "become active" at any time, they then migrate and grow into adult worms. 

Firstly go to the vet asap and get a good dual wormer ie drontal, make sure he gets it properly by giving it over his throat and that should kill worms within 24 - 48 hours.  You should really do him every 3-6 mnths although many are now advising actual monthly worming.  If he goes outside he should definatley be wormed monthly.

If you suspect it could be his anal glands then i'd not wait until monday before seeking vet attention as they can turn nasty but if seen early enough the vet would be able to empty them for you.

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 16:38:27 PM »
Ouch! Impacted anal glands sound painful...
The brand I have was given by the vet the last time I saw him six months ago. There doesn't seem physical evidence of worms which is why I dismissed that at first. I got Charlie from a rescue and turns out he hadn't swallowed down the tablets they'd given him so in the first few days with me I noticed white rice shaped thingies. I took him back to the rescue and this time we made sure the tablet went down. So if there is no physical evidence of worms ie white grubs, he could still have them?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 16:33:51 PM »
its either worms or impacted anal glands.

ensure he is wormed adequeatly with vet brand wormer and if he seems abit upset about it or you feel he shouldnt have worms i'd suggest taking him to the vet as impacted anal glands can lead to nasty anal gland abcesses.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 16:15:46 PM »
I think worming tables are supposed to be every 3 months, even for indoor cats, but if I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will post accordingly!

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 16:05:03 PM »
Thanks for your reply.
1) No, Charlie's not been wormed recently. He's due another worming tablet in the next few weeks though - that'll be six months since the last one.
2) I wondered about constipation, espec. considering he's been back and forward to the litter tray so much for nothing apparently. I've just flushed away his last poo though and it was long and mighty as per usual.
3) His brand's not changed in the last few weeks no. I've gone from Hills to Pets at Home's own brand about a month ago now but introduced the latter brand whilst he was still on Hills to determine whether he liked it or not. There's been no trouble with it.
I also feed him a half Tesco sachet at night and did notice the last one looked a bit funny. They're usually saturated in gravy but this one was very dry and all the bits were clung together. Charlie seemed happy to eat it so I didn't think it was off. I'm wondering now if it was!!!!?

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 15:55:20 PM »
Hi Shay,

Not sure really, the obvious things I can think of are:-

1.  Has Charlie been wormed recently
2.  Could he be a bit constipated if he's doing little poos?  I know humans can suffer with strange tummies when the weather is a bit warmer, maybe cats can as well?
3.  Has the brand of food he eats been changed at all recently?

Hopefully someone with direct experience of this will be on shortly!

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
Charlie's dragging his bum on the ground...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 15:41:03 PM »
Hi Everyone.
Sorry for the graphic descriptions here. Hope you're not eating...

I've been a little concerned by Charlie, my indoor 1yr old cat's behaviour over the past few days. He's been in and out of his litter tray frequently. There's been no evidence of diahorrhea (sp?) but several small, lumpy poos along with the usual big ones he usually lays.
When I came back today there were two poos in front of his tray which has a flap which he's never done before. They had litter on them so they've obviously been kicked out.

I spied on him during his last visit to the tray a few minutes ago. He leapt out and began dragging his bum on the ground. There were no marks left on the floor but I notice he's licking his bum alot more than usual and just spotted some poo matted fur there.

He's also been miaowing at the front door and pacing. He's never done this before.

He seems fine apart from that - not lethargic, eating no problem. Can anyone help? Should I take him to the vet;s?
Thanks for reading!
S

Link to CatChat