Author Topic: New cat not using litter tray  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: New cat not using litter tray
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 07:51:33 AM »
Congrats on the new cat - I would ask the previous owners what he was using previously, that can make a big difference.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:34:23 AM »
A tip I heard is when you change the litter, put a small piece of poo back in the clean litter so they know that's where they are supposed go.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 23:14:41 PM »
You will also neeed to make sure you have got rid of all the smell from the places he went before.

Either get some Simple solution 9Pets at Home sell it) and that should do the trick or use biological washing powder to wash the areas and then rub down with surgical spirit.

congrats on the nes cat and welcome to Purrs  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 22:36:55 PM »
I use Catsan, its £4.18 for 10 litres from Asda......its really good for keeping the smell at bay.....glad he's used the tray ;)

As he gains more confidence around yourselves and the house you will be able to move the litter tray to where you want it x

Just remember as its a new kitty "we need piccies" ;)

Offline aitch

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Loki, Tabitha, Frank, Nell and Percy
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 22:04:43 PM »
Ruth you are a star!
 :thanks: so much for that advice.
Moved tray onto the landing,he had a look and sniff,got in and performed!(Both!)
Gave him lots of praise and was rewarded with lots of purrs and leg rubbing!

He was a private rehoming,the litter is basic fullers earth as that's all i could get at local shop.....what do you recommend?

Thanks again,
Helen.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 21:43:02 PM »
Hi, was this cat from a rescue? what litter are you using? put litter tray near where cat peed earlier for now so gets used to using the tray ;)

Offline aitch

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Loki, Tabitha, Frank, Nell and Percy
New cat not using litter tray
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 21:38:42 PM »
Yesterday afternoon I adopted a 3 year old male cat. He is beautiful and so affectionate and friendly.
He seems very settled and is eating well.
The problem is he has yet to use his litter tray ......I was told he has used one in the past.
He went all night without using it then this morning after his breakfast he went on the stairs which appears to be one of his favoured places to sit or sleep if he's not with us. About 15 mins later when i went to talk to him i found he had wet on the landing,i made no fuss just took up the rug and cleaned over the floor.
I keep showing him the tray,he has even stepped in it and i've made digging movements in it when he's there! I did have just cat litter in it but earlier on added some garden soil.
I'm sure he must be bursting for another "no 1" and a "no 2" by now (he's had 4 sachets of food so far!)
Any suggestions greatly accepted......never come across this before!
Thank you.

Link to CatChat