Author Topic: waxy ears  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
Re: waxy ears
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 23:08:32 PM »
You might want to get some pet ear wipes and just give her ears a clean every now and again anyway to shift any dirt and wax.

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 22:36:03 PM »
sorry - she does actually get treated with Stronghold every 4 weeks, we last did her on Sunday.  As she's not scratching her ears or shaking her head and some wax has actually worked its way out onto the (beige!) carpet, which I first thought it was a small lump of poo! :sick: I'm inclined to see how it goes over the next couple of days with a view to taking her to the vet if it doesn't improve.

I think it probably means we'll just have to be rigorous in making sure she's done every 4 weeks and the vet did say they can take quite a while to get rid of - the puddie equivalent of athlete's foot I think!

:thanks: for the advice and good luck to Lisa with her crew's ears  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 17:12:38 PM »
Mites need to be all gone or the life cycle will start up again  :sick:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 08:26:31 AM »
But have recently noticed her right ear has visible wax in it.  She has been treated for ear mites in the past but the vet said they were almost gone when she was seen in January

If they were only almost gone, I would be inclined to take the little one back to the vet. In fact I would even had they all gone.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 21:20:06 PM »
two of my cats have some visable wax

theyve just finished a course of ear drops from the vet .
I think its normal to have a tiny bit of visable wax but if the cat is scratching the ears or if the cat is shaking his/her head then id recommend a vet visit
ears is a very sore subject in my house at the moment
all 7 0f my cat have been scratching there ears thats why all of them have had ear drops for 5 days
im stlll not overly happy about the amount they r still scratching but im waiting to see if this changes in a few days when all traces of ear drops would of gone from there ears
ive also used stronghold on all of mine as it is meant to prevent and kill ear mites where as frontline doesnt ,
if u are worried then book her/him in for a quick check up
do let me know how it goes .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
waxy ears
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 20:56:18 PM »
Jessie (my wee girl cat) has always been inclined to be a bit gungy - sleep in the corner of her eye; snotty nose etc, etc.  But have recently noticed her right ear has visible wax in it.  She has been treated for ear mites in the past but the vet said they were almost gone when she was seen in January (when she was spayed). 

She is frontlined every four weeks and isn't shaking her head or scratching her ear and the wax is brown and doesn't smell - I think ear mites make it smelly, black and crumbly?

Just wondered whether anyone had any advice before I go into panic mode and cart her off down the vets only to be told "it's all normal" and charged for the pleasure  :-[!

:thanks:   

Link to CatChat