Author Topic: Something for a dull coat, maybe vitamins?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Something for a dull coat, maybe vitamins?
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 19:29:52 PM »
If you go for fish oils, buy body oils not liver oil  ;D

Head rubs to Bella

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 15:57:08 PM »
the other ofcourse is giving them weekly treats of tinned oily fish such as sardines or pilchards.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 15:42:51 PM »
I'd probably go for adding fish oils as its usually the omega oils in pet food that produce a nice, shiny coat but I also would check with your vet to see if s/he has any suggestions given that he knows Bella's condition and what medication she's on.

Yep, I'd go with fish oils, salmon oil is a good one. You can buy salmon oil capsules from Holland and Barratt. They are good to use because you only have to pierce a capsule at a time and squirt on food, rather than opening a bottle of liquid which would go rancid very quickly. Still need to keep oils in the fridge though. Fish oils are supposed to be good for the heart I've heard.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 12:00:42 PM »

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
Bilbo has the Beauty and Care food when he is moulting and he has a lovely shiny coat. I just buy evening primrose oil from the health food shops. I just buy the normal dose ones (not high dose ones) and break one per cat into the wet food for a few days if the coat looks a bit dull.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 10:15:52 AM »
I'd probably go for adding fish oils as its usually the omega oils in pet food that produce a nice, shiny coat but I also would check with your vet to see if s/he has any suggestions given that he knows Bella's condition and what medication she's on.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 08:11:41 AM »
You could give the CP vet a ring (freephone number) on Monday or send her e-mail, she usually gets back to me immediately.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 07:58:01 AM »
Good idea Ela! Will mention it to the vets for some advise. Has anyone used the Royal Canin Beauty coat stuff found it on Zooplus last night and it has rave reviews. I am sure that biscuits wouldnt do no harm.

Do you have to buy veterinary Evening Primrose Oil or can you just use the tablets from health food shops? Must be the same stuff but smaller dosage i suspect.

Thanks alot of your suggestions all, will research and find out over the weekend.

Ta
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:59:35 AM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:50:24 AM »
I think you have been given some good suggestions, however, as the little one has a heart condition perhaps it would be best to check with the vet that whatever you decide to try is OK.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 22:45:18 PM »
Breaking an evening primrose oil capsule into the food each day will help or Royal Canin do a food called Beauty and Care (outdoor cats) or Beauty and Fit (lower calorie for indoor/less active/neutered cats) which is designed to help the coat.

I'd have said pretty well much the same as well, Lottie. I've also heard that wheatgerm oil is very good for coat conditioning. Other thought is to try some proprietary conditioning tablets e.g. Kittyzyme.

Also, grooming keeps the coat in good nick and distribute the natural oils in the hairs. So maybe a good grooming session might be of help too.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 20:37:42 PM »
Breaking an evening primrose oil capsule into the food each day will help or Royal Canin do a food called Beauty and Care (outdoor cats) or Beauty and Fit (lower calorie for indoor/less active/neutered cats) which is designed to help the coat.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 19:56:24 PM »
Roger Baker gave me some Abidec drops for Clapton as a tonic - apparently you can buy them in any chemist. They are meant for children but he keeps them at the surgery. I haven't managed to give them yet as he won't eat the food if the drop are on it. Another good thing would be brewers yeast tablets as most cats like them and they have a lot of B vitamins in. Also Fish oil capsules will help.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Something for a dull coat, maybe vitamins?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 19:29:45 PM »
Hello all
My Bella is 12 yrs old Siamese, she has a heart condition and has been on tablets for the last year and 5 months, doing very well. Her coast  has lost abit of sparkle lately, i suspect it is to do with the tablets she is on. Can anyone recommend any supplements to help. She takes her tablets in chewing treats once a day so something that i can give her at the same time would be good. She is allowed outside so something in water is no good, as she rather likes the water out the fishpond. Her Peter Pan brother Leo has a lovely coat, but it would be nice to treat him a well, so he thinks he isnt missing out.
Advise appreciated.
ta
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 19:30:04 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat