Author Topic: Lynst24 - Advice needed please  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Lynst24 - Advice needed please
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 22:32:20 PM »
Both Picjford and Colonel Beau lost their voices at catchat towers about a month or so ago, I think they went to ther vet but it wasnt anything serious.

If you look in the CC diary and scroll backwards you should find it.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 22:30:41 PM »
Lisa, if you have any problems financially and can't get him to the vets, let me know and I'll take him to mine.......I get a good discount  and you can pay me when you've got it  :)  I think it's bank holiday on Monday so bear this in mind if you're leaving him a couple of days to monitor him.  I hope he's alright bless him.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 22:01:27 PM »
Let us know how things are tomorrow  :)

Offline LisaAndRufus

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 21:18:46 PM »
Oh Lyn, thank you so much.  I do feel better now.  I will monitor him for a couple of days and make sure he's ok.

I'm reassured more by him biting me, to be honest - that's his way of showing affection, and he gets very withdrawn if there's a problem.

Thank you so much Lyn, you're a star.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 21:15:51 PM »
yes i feel better too now he has eaten a big meal of dried food.

I think it sounds like he could have been stung you know if your flatmate said there werent any other cats, remember evening time bees get cold and are easier caught etc.

if you notice any lumps or swellings phone your vet for advice but hopefully since it is now over 24hrs since what ever it was happened he will be fine  ;)

Offline LisaAndRufus

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 21:10:14 PM »
It sounded like fighting yowling, but my housemate was in the garden and there were definitely no other cats around.  It was early evening, and we don't get a lot of bees in our garden - it's mainly dead!  He seems to be ok in himself, definitely, I just went up to check on him and he bit me on the nose (that's normal behaviour!).  He's also just eaten a big pile of biscuits!

I think I will keep an eye on him for a couple of days, as you suggested, and see if he seems any better.  But I have to say, I feel reassured by that fact he's eaten some biscuits - surely if his mouth was hurting, he wouldn't do that. 

Thanks Lyn, I feel a bit better now!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 21:03:41 PM »
Lisa

I'd say if he was mine i'd leave him atleast tomorrow and see how he is.  You havent identified anything specifically wrong.

You said you thought he was in a fight, so it was fight like meowing was it ??  You dont think he might have been stung or swallowed a bee do you ?

Cats who have meowed alot for what ever reason can loose their voice sometimes just like we can if we've been shouting, but normally its more or less back withing 24 - 48 hrs.

I'd play it by ear and see how he is in the morning but go over him with a fine tooth comb esp around the mouth, cheek and throat area looking for any puncure marks incase he had been fighting.  Keep an eye on swallowing etc so maybe give him some of his favorite food just to see him swallow and obviously make sure he seems comfortable and not gulping, gagging, or having any sort of breathing issues, if he was then of course he's need a vet tonight and not wait and see.

Hope he is meowing loudly by the morning  ;D

Offline LisaAndRufus

• Kitten
Lynst24 - Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 20:50:01 PM »
Not just from Lyn, anyone who can help.

Rufus has lost his meow.  He was ok about 6.30pm yesterday, because he was yowling his head off - I thought he was having a fight, rushed out and he was absolutely fine.  Then, when I came in after going to rehearsals, about 10.30pm - he had lost his meow.  He opens his mouth and a sort of squeaky "ma" comes out.  Also, he seems a bit quiet and hasn't eaten much - but he HAS eaten, and he doesn't eat very much when it's hot anyway.  I have noticed that when he yawns, instead of stretching his jaw wide like normal, he only seems able to open his mouth so far.  He doesn't mind me touching his face and throat, but I haven't been able to look into his mouth yet.  I'm really worried, mainly because I'm struggling financially at the moment, and would really have problems paying a vet's bill.  Should I leave it for a couple of days and see if he seems better, or should I take him straight to the vet, who will charge me £30 just for the appointment???

Link to CatChat