Author Topic: What's wrong with Wilma? Any ideas?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: What's wrong with Wilma? Any ideas?
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 07:46:37 AM »
I know how you feel Sue, we have had the same probs when my neighbour has gone away, dont know how, but they are very good at managing it!! Good luck, and fingers crossed it is something simple.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:31:15 AM »
It may be a good idea to give Wilma a can of tuna IN OIL about every two weeks, just in case she's prone to furball. The other main causes of a bloated stomach are: worms, liver problems (especially if the bloating is high up), over-eating (all that food goes somewhere). She may have thyroid problems, but coupled with the massive appetite this doesn't seem to fit the bill. Over active thyroids cause big appetites but weight loss. Underactive thyroids cause weight gain and poor appetite.

Personally I'd go for the easy options first: furball or worms. If treating these fails, a trip to the vet would be wise, just in case she has a tumour.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Taz, Marvin, Monty, Merlin & DS RIP Tasha & Baldrick
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 00:57:29 AM »
Hello all, just to let you know that Wilma is well, her stomach is still a bit rounded but this seems to be normal for her according to my parents.  You know i'm beginning to think i'm cursed when looking after animals for the last 4 years when looking after my parents pets, I take great care of them but just as they get back the morning after something has keeled over or needs a dreaded trip to the vet 1 way.  I'm not kidding so far i've had cats, mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits & now Marigold the guinea pig.  Beginning to feel like the Angel of you know what, poor Marigold, I put her in her run to clean her cage, she has nice clean water & fresh food & the day after she's no more, mind you she was nearly 7.  All the other animals i've looked after too were at the top end of their age limit (ie Ben the rabbit - 8, cats 17&19).  They all just seem to wait till my parents get back, honest it makes me want to cry.  So anyway sorry to moan am just a bit down,  :thanks:

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 15:49:46 PM »
Hiya Dawn, I hope you are well.  Wilma's certainly not bothered by it at all.  But it might be worth a mention that she was treated for a flea allergy a little while ago, so maybe that has something to do with it?  Poor mite, she's actually about 5 years old so I dread to think the amount of litters she must have had before she came to stay with my parents   :scared:  Hopefully any problems she may have had with that would have been sorted out when she was spayed.  Will keep you updated & I have finally got a pic of Robbie, will post when I get it back from my sister  ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 15:28:05 PM »
Hi Sue, sorry to hear about poor Wilma.  As Des has already mentioned, a vet visit would be a good idea just in case especially as she seems to have suddenly bloated up.  Keep us posted on what the vet says, xxx

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »
Hello Desley, not entirely sure which wormer was used, but my parents are back today after being away for the week-end, so no doubt they'll check up on her, will tell them to go back to the vets', thanks

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
I would advise another vet check, what worm treatment did they use?
Please spay your cat

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
What's wrong with Wilma? Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:55:58 AM »
Hello all, just need a bit of quick advice.  Wilma, who is my parents cat & has been with them for some months now, has blown up ike a little balloon.  She looks like she's pregnant, but I know better as she was spayed when she came to stay.  My parent have taken her to the vets last week & had her treated for worms, but her stomach doesn't seem to have gone down.  Now she's eating fine, in fact she eats 24/7 & in no sign of pain.  In fact she seems quite happy, is it possible perhaps as she used to be a stray maybe she's just got a pot-belly?  For a little cat she eats by the truck load, probably 'cos she thinks it's gonna run out soon.  Hopefully she'l realise there'll always be food for her & slow down a bit  :rofl:  Thanks all

Link to CatChat