Author Topic: scared puss  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: scared puss
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 16:17:25 PM »
Ah right!  that's a proper harness then :)  You shouldn't be in danger of choking her if you have one, as the 'pull' is on the bit that goes round her tummy, not the bit round her neck :)

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 13:44:37 PM »
catjane, i have her on a proper cat lead bought from a proper pet shop. Harness that goes round her neck and round her belly aswell. Not only that, i also bought a dog lead, that lengthens and retracts as she runs, so she can have some freedom.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 07:17:45 AM »
This is going to sound REALLY SILLY Catjane, but here are a few of the ways I trained them.

Firstly, I kept them in for 2 months when I first got them from the rescue. Polly was a feral, and Sam a semi-feral, so they needed to strongly bond to me and the house. During this time P was untouchable, but I spoke to them lots. One of the things I said was (pointing to some commotion outside, like a noisy car) "nasty!" (in a horrid voice, and pulling a disgusted, about to be sick, face.)

Secondly, if one of them follows me out the front when I'm putting out the rubbish etc, I coax them into the house by shaking munchies, THEN GIVE THEM HELL! I shout BAD CAT! (Clapping my hands and hitting the air with a newspaper, ) and several other expletives in a voice that would raise the dead: raise the volume but lower the pitch, it's really effective, I call it my 'Sergeant Major' voice.  Then I'll point to the cat flap which leads to the garden and tell them, in a soft voice, that if they want to go out, that's the way.

I often repeat the NASTY! thing when a lorry goes past, or students are rowdy. This has made them terrified of what goes on out there. The only thing they really know about is that when I take them out there it's in a horrid cage on the way to the vet!

This is much easier in a victorian terrace, such as mine, as there is a definite divide between front and back. Also, the woman who lives next to the passage leading to the front has cats and has put meshing on the bottom of the security gate to prevent them going underneath.

Oh, the problem with the dash outside. Do you have a hallway that you walk into from the front door which has a door into two rooms: your front room, and your lounge? Or do you have a through lounge? Mine is the former, as the front room was a bedroom in my landlady days. If you have the same layout, KEEP THE DOOR LEADING INTO THIS HALLWAY CLOSED!
One evening I went out with a boyfriend and left that door open. I came home to find a frightened cat and poop. She'd shut herself in. When I'd left, she'd gone into the hallway and tried to get out again by pushing the door, which closed it. She was shut in there for about three hours. Poor puss.
It's also best to try to keep your cat/s in the back part of the house.

I hope this makes sense and helps.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 18:45:36 PM »
If you can't move to somewhere with a secure garden, it's best to keep her as an indoor cat. If you were moving to a house, I'd consider her fear of the front-outside to be healthy and something which would ensure her survival. Mine have been trained to be scared of the front of the house.

One question lurks in my mind: why are you choosing to move somewhere which is unsuitable for your cat? It's the first thing I consider!

Don't try to force your cat to like the front; she'll get killed in an rta. Accept that she's a back garden cat. Maybe you could look round for more suitable property while keeping her as an indoor cat?
Hippykitty - how did you train your brood to be scared of the front of the house?

Mine aren't allowed out the front as it's a busy main road, but I live in a terraced house so it's not easy for them to get round the front, and *touch wood* they've never been round there to my knowledge.  But whilst I'm at work I have to keep the sitting room doors closed so that they don't get into the hallway in case they shoot out the front door when I get home!  I'd love for them to have the run of the house at all times, so any advice on training them to be scared of 'the front' would be very welcome!

Christina ... I'm a bit concerned ... you said you had to follow your kitty quickly when she ran to avoid choking her ... are you using a collar and lead?  Tis not very safe for puddies to have just a collar as they can slip out of it so easily.  A full harness is much safer, and also means that you won't choke her if you have to pull her (or she pulls you!).

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 17:35:26 PM »
though the neighbours will probably find it quite funny to see me walking my cat!

Been there, done that and got the silly looks!  :rofl:

Best of luck though, hope you find the right balance of outdoor experience for your little girl.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 16:20:05 PM »
thanks for that. I know im replying like a week later, but ive been on holiday so only just read the posts!
I think once we move i will keep taking her out on the lead (though the neighbours will probably find it quite funny to see me walking my cat!) and see how it goes. If she seams to like it more i may let her off, bit i doubt i will! Thanks again.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 16:56:51 PM »
You will find when you're out at work she will probably sleep most of the day away in the sun
My 6 have outdoor acess allday and are in at night, where do i find them mid morning on a warm sunny day? Curled up on a bed!
Cats are more than happy to be in when your at work  :)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 13:45:24 PM »
I think you've done just fine Christina. Like you and HK when finding a property Lexy comes first in my mind but personal circumstances affect us all. Some are fortunate enough to be able to make those choices and decisions, others have to compromise.

Lexy stays indoors, I do have a garden, but she is terrified of the outdoors for some reason so I don't force it on her. She likes to observe the outdoors from the upstairs window and maybe that's what you can do for your pud so that she gets to see outdoors but have lots of toys for her during the day to keep her entertained. You will find when you're out at work she will probably sleep most of the day away in the sun.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 13:37:56 PM »
At least you can afford to start planning Christina, I think I'm going to be in renting 'hell' for an eternity  :rofl:

Seriously though, if puss seems scared of the great outdoors, then as others have said, it may be better to keep her as an indoor cat, and maybe take her out on a harness if she seems to miss the outside. Indoor cats can thrive as long as they have enough to keep them occupied.

I don't have a choice as to whether my boy goes out as he is FIV+, but in this day and age with so many idiots about, I'm not sure I would let Max out even it he didnt have the virus.  Maybe if I lived in the countryside, but anywhere near roads I'd be so nervous  :doh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 13:13:46 PM »
it is the first thing i considered actually. In this day, it isnt easy to buy a place. I cant afford a proper house, and searched for quite a while to find a flat that was suitable i.e not near a main road, in a quiet area, on the ground floor with doors so the cat can get in and out easy.  i  did think that this was quite suitable.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:52:43 AM »
If you can't move to somewhere with a secure garden, it's best to keep her as an indoor cat. If you were moving to a house, I'd consider her fear of the front-outside to be healthy and something which would ensure her survival. Mine have been trained to be scared of the front of the house.

One question lurks in my mind: why are you choosing to move somewhere which is unsuitable for your cat? It's the first thing I consider!

Don't try to force your cat to like the front; she'll get killed in an rta. Accept that she's a back garden cat. Maybe you could look round for more suitable property while keeping her as an indoor cat?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 13:31:55 PM »
ok, i had a feeling that that is what people would say. Given her nature it probably is best that she stays in, i will still take her out for fresh air though! She is a wee thing aswell, much smaller then an average cat, so this doesnt help either. Thanks for your help.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 19:39:18 PM »
Sounds like she will be the type who needs a door open whenever she is out, i have 4 of those!
Probably be best as Lottie says to return her to being an indoor cat and keep you fingers crossed that the trips shes had now wont make her demand more when you move.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 17:44:49 PM »
In that case it might be best to keep her as an indoor cat and just take her for little walks on her harness and lead.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 17:38:55 PM »
It is at the moment, but when i move in to my own place in a few months there will be no garden!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 17:25:53 PM »
Is it possible for you to have a cat run in the garden? Then she can go outside but she'll feel secure and you will know she's safe.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
scared puss
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 17:22:53 PM »
hey there,
                some of you may remember i posted afew times a while ago about letting my kitten out, and about what to do with her when i move house. I take her out on a lead at the moment in the back garden. At first she was a bit scared and timid, and any noise outside seamed to scare her. The more i took her out tho the more she seamed to relax and get used to it. She seams to quite enjoy it now, and has a good old run around, chasing all the flies and bees. Shes a right little acrobat, jumping into the air to catch them!
The problem is that today i tried to take her round the front of the house and she was really scared again, and looked really frightened. She eventually ran back round into the back garden (with me running after her with the lead so it wouldnt strangle her as she ran so quickly!).
She seams to want to go out when inside, she meows and tries to get out.so why does she want to go out, and then when out she seams to get scared?
i do eventually want to let her off the lead, but im just worried that shell run off ina fright and get lost. The problem will be even worse when i move as im moving into a ground floor flat where there wont even be the comfort of a secure back garden to start with when i let her off the lead. Once shes out, shell be out in the big wide world. She does seam to be a timid cat in general. lots of things frighten her. 
I gues im just wondering if there is a certain type of cat that shouldnt be let out? IE if they are a scared kind of cat. i do want to let her out as i do think cats should be able to go outdoors, but i dont want to loose her. Any thoughts?
Thanks for any advice.

Link to CatChat