Author Topic: How to cope with feline senility  (Read 9551 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: How to cope with feline senility
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 19:42:09 PM »
I dont think it would be a good idea for her to sleep in your bed cos needing a litter tray urgently comes with the problem.

As Jack snows I have been there and to be honest there is no solution but keeping them , their bed , water, food all in a smaller room may help but dont think it will stop the wailing.

Kocka would wwail most of her none sleeping time unless i was with her, on the floor and next to her.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 13:01:47 PM »
She has access to everywhere in the house. Someone I chatted to on MSN thinks this might be part of the problem - the amount of space confuses her at night when there are no people wandering around; but she cries during the day too. Depends on how she feels, I guess.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 12:26:47 PM »
Moving this over to health/behaviour...

Jack - Ollie has a good howl every now and again too. He sleeps downstairs, with snuggly beds dotted about the place, a few of my old tshirts and the radio on low. If he's having a really wobbly day, I'll pop him in the downstairs loo with a litter tray and a bed, so that he'll definitely be able to find the tray if he wakes up for a wee in the night (past experience has shown this is a recurring issue for him  :doh: ).

If she will sleep in your bed then that may be your answer - it's something I've thought about doing with Ollie but the aforementioned wee problem makes me feel a bit iffy about trying it.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 11:55:07 AM »
Jack cant she sleep in the bed with you? Maybe thats why she's wailing or is it because she's confused? Awful for all of ya's all the same.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »
Not really. More a case of "this is wrong with your cat. There are no medical solutions." :(

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »
oh i see, wasnt sure if this was due to something specific or not.

does she wail through the night just now ??

theres loads of different advice for nighttime problems with cats non dementia specific mind.

To be honest if something like this becomes a great problem the only way i see as a solution is to shut them in a different room hopefully far enough out of ear shot...not sure how a confused oldie would be though.

has your vet suggested any positives ?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:24:11 AM »
The title says Lynn. She's developed senility, which isn't actually treatable. :( It's just a decline in her mental state, but she isn't in pain as far as we can tell from how she behaves.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 11:21:23 AM »
sorry what is it that is wrong with her again ?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
How to cope with feline senility
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »
I've been told by a LOT of people that my Old Mogs condition will have more of an impact on mine and my partners mental well being than hers - she's pretty oblivious by all accounts!

What I need to know is how people cope with the strain on their sanity? (Coping mechanisms etc.) I don't want to sound selfish, but I do need to know so I can keep calm when Old Mog is wailing at 3am...4am....(and so on!)

Link to CatChat