Author Topic: Cat fencing-new ideas  (Read 6794 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Cat fencing-new ideas
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 16:00:16 PM »
when my new run gets done we'll be having slabs as the flooring (previously didnt have anything and so from experience an easy to clean surface will be much better  :evillaugh:)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 14:40:51 PM »
If you are in a fox neighbourhood, remember that they dig and put wire under the cat run too. When I had a garden, used quite thick galvanised wire which is so much better and safer than chicken wire. It also doesn't look as tatty as chicken wire. However the roof less runs are hopeless if you have a burmese or anything with a burmese type mentality!

To hijack a bit, not sure if should start such a related thread, I need to screen my sash windows (top flat) so that they can sit on the windowsill with the bottom sash window wide open and I don't have to worry about them plummeting. Any frame would have to be a clip-in, removable one as this is a conversion in a conservation area and the neighbours/Council/area conservation mafia would be upset by any permanent fittings; as would my OH.....  AFAIK Cataire only do permanent ones? My windows are all the same size but think would have to custom make screens? I don't have the ability to buy wood and wire and do it myself.
Any suggestions - the removable bit is what would make most handymen go DUH?!

I'm in London if anyone can recommend anyone around here or North Kent or South Essex.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 14:03:25 PM »
yep i agree.  Also for the smaller sized garden wouldnt be so bad really even to enclose the whole thing but for large gardens you could run into the multiple thousands, i know i would.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 13:52:19 PM »
You're teaching me well  :rofl: 

Is an absolute pain at times that some cats can jump so well lol as makes cat proofing a garden almost impossible.

You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 13:42:23 PM »
yep thats what i do lottie, clever manipulation  :rofl: :rofl: your learning girl !!

i am thinking, seb used to jump from ground up to very top of run mesh so that would be...about 7 1/2 - 8ft aswell i guess..now i am pretty damned sure there is absolutely no nfc in him what so ever  :rofl: so that must make him...just a determined black  booger  :evillaugh:

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 13:37:54 PM »
Yep exactly. Bilbo can jump over 7 1/2ft from standing with no probs at all, damn NFCs and their specially designed muscly longer back legs lol. At least now Dave is agreeing to the Fort Knox garden lol (after the insurance quote today I'm not sure I will take it out, nearly died!). Have been clever in making Dave think that some of the suggestions have been his idea lol  :rofl: 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 13:30:29 PM »
you'd think the heavier cats would find it more difficult wouldnt you lottie but they are obviously far stronger and able to carry their weight very well.  I'd not have believed what seb is capable of had i not seen it myself,

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »
nah..chop the feet off its the only way !!

LOL Lynn!  :rofl: In the end we've decided we're just going to have to put a roof on the garden so we know the team will be safe and can't get out.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 12:31:39 PM »
i wouldnt trust it, i truly believe where theres a will theres a way with some cats (one of my cats  >:() and i wouldnt trust him in anything but a secure run....even with that he found ways LOL

nah..chop the feet off its the only way !!

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 11:22:33 AM »
Doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I thought it would! If yuor cats can't jump stupid heights (7-8ft)then it probably would work.

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 10:38:38 AM »
The metal sheet fencing is explained on the link I put above...here's another link that shows how it looks.

http://www.colourfence.co.uk/

According to the link..it doesn't have an angle on it. The reason it works is because of the material it's made of....apparently cats can't climb up it..they just slide down. I guess it's because they can't grip onto it!!

It sounds like it would look horrible..but the pictures in the link actually look quite good...and it saves on treating/varnishing the wood every year or so!!!!! Wouls need to see it in real life though to get a better idea of how it looks.

Do you think it would work??

Looks very pricey though!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:40:57 AM by suzi »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 13:36:17 PM »
I have posted some links on the other thread which may be of interest:

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=3705.0
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 19:46:45 PM »
I haven't heard about the metal sheet fencing one. How does it work? Is it angled at the top like the other cat proofing things?

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 18:32:37 PM »
Think i will give the rolling pole one a miss then! What about the metal sheet fencing one? Anyone heard of that?

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 18:24:59 PM »
We have 6 ft fences hun and have the cat troy from catplaystaions right up to the fence so they can see over the fence.  I have even made walk platforms or them at 5ft all round the garden on the fences and they can't get out cause the poles are arched and come out 1 foot. The top of the arch is about 7ft. Here's a pic of the garden aith the cat troy up when we were doing it. I really must take some more up to date pics  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 16:42:39 PM »
I'm planning to cat proof the garden once we move house but I am so paranoid that my mob will escape by jumping from the top of the cat playstations they will have and then over the angle things on the fence (cat play stations are 5ft tall and fence will be 6ft tall). Think I'll have to have a chat with Roz nearer the time and see if she can reassure me about it lol as OH has said I am not putting mesh all over the whole of the garden to make a roof.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 16:32:04 PM »
Hi Suzi

I have the Purrfect fence system in my small garden and its great but the porice has gone up alot since 2004 when i got my system.

Roz who does the securacat system is fantastic and as Lottie says many of on here have her system and it's a good price too.

When i was looking at systems on the net, i found distressing stories of cats having caught their paws with the Katzeacure system using rotating poles so i wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. Excuse the pun. :rofl:
Also Roz has a customer who changed to her netting system after they had the pole system put in and her pedagree cats got out and all were hurt on the road when that system wqas put in.  :'(

I have Roz's new phone number, if you would like to ask her about her system.

Or any questions you have about the purrfect fence one, please ask.
This is a pic of my system.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 15:49:31 PM »
I have seen the rolling wood poles one at shows before and personally I don't think it looks safe (certianly not for any cast with big jumps). Purrfect fencing looks fab but very expensive. There's one called Secur-a-Cat that is supposed to be good as well and quite a few people on here have it.

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
Cat fencing-new ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 15:46:39 PM »
I found this information sheet offering some new and innovative ways of cat proofing your garden. As we would love to let our Bailey out within the safety of the garden.

Has anyone heard of any of these options before?
I only know about the purfect fence but feel that my garden is too small to carry if off.

I like the idea of some of these options...particulary the Katzecure one. With the rolling wooden poles along the top of the fencing.

Just wanted to see if anyone has tried these of heard of them before???

Whoops...here's the link!!

http://www.fabcats.org/fencing2.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 15:51:42 PM by suzi »

Link to CatChat