Author Topic: How old is a sensible age to go out ?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How old is a sensible age to go out ?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 10:41:25 AM »
Catjane - both were strays, which could have had something to do with it, but Finn had roughish fur near his tail, and Patches had very greasy fur - whole toms get something called stud tail, which I assumed was like these too had.
Please spay your cat

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »
I have read anything up to 6 weeks, the two entire males we have had neutered this year have stopped smelling 2 weeks later (Both around the age of 3), but still had the yucky fur for a few weeks more.

Yucky fur?

I don't have much experience with toms, but come to think of it, Sabu's fur was not smooth before he was neutered, kinda grew in all directions, but is a lot smoother now - is that what you mean?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 10:33:31 AM »
I have read anything up to 6 weeks, the two entire males we have had neutered this year have stopped smelling 2 weeks later (Both around the age of 3), but still had the yucky fur for a few weeks more.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 10:35:34 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 07:50:27 AM »
I thought it was only a week after they've been neutered that they are still possibly fertile

Susanne is correct, it does take at least 3 weeks and in many cases more before a male cat is not fertile and his hormone level has reduced.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 07:52:28 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 00:25:53 AM »
I thought it was only a week after they've been neutered that they are still possibly fertile?

I let my Sabu out a week after he'd had his bits off - coincidentally it was about that time that he suddenly started becoming SO much more friendly!  He was 5.5 months at the time, but had his mum and aunt to mind him :)  He loved it - gambolling like a little lamb in the back garden!  Still loves it - he's nine months old now, and can go out at night if he wants now that he's older and it's warmer.  I think it's all a matter of what you feel your kitty can cope with - but please don't confuse that with what you're afraid of!!!  Bit 'o common sense and a bit 'o letting go is what's required :)

Funny enough, I'm keeping mine in tonight as a local (domesticated) cat has taken to coming in through the catflap and stealing my babies' food!  Have to make him realise that it's all futile before I can let them out at night again!

Offline Lyn-Su

• Senior Cat
  • Fearne
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 11:54:08 AM »
b) the local feral child population.

ahhh dear old Manchester  :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 23:20:36 PM »
I'd try to keep him in for a few weeks as males can still be fertile for 4-6 weeks following neutering.  So if your boy is sexually mature he can still go out and make kitty babies for a few more weeks which would not be a good thing  :no:

After a few more weeks I'd say it's ok to start letting him out if he's wanting to go, although it wouldn't hurt to keep him inside for a bit longer.  At least the evenings now are light so he won't have to contend with dusk/darkness and lots of traffic (assuming you keep him in at night).  I always think spring/summer is the best time to start letting a cat have a taste of the outdoors, although I can't speak from experience as my cats are indoor cats. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 23:22:56 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Billie. 10/05/90 - 05/12/06
    • The Tearoom, a forum for all Mystery Shoppers.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 23:08:01 PM »
I live in the countryside, but still on a housing estate, fields to the back of me and 30mph roads to the front, but try telling the 16/17/18/19 yr olds around here there is a speed limit for a reason !.

I suppose I will always worry, Billie (who died in December) was always out and never had an injury, but she was old and wise, which Mr Mischief isn't !!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 23:09:49 PM by pippivixen »

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 22:36:40 PM »
6 months? Definitely still young and silly!

It depends a bit where you live and if you've got an older cat (it sounds like you have?) that he can 'learn the ropes' from...

Round here it's very urban, all houses and gardens and roads, I reckon my girls (10 months) are only really JUST old enough to be safe out on their own now... but they're going to wait till I've got the garden all fenced 'cos I don't want any run-ins with a) the local feral cat population or b) the local feral child population.

Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Billie. 10/05/90 - 05/12/06
    • The Tearoom, a forum for all Mystery Shoppers.
How old is a sensible age to go out ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 22:18:33 PM »
Mr Misty went off to the vet's today for the snip  :tired: he is 6 months old (plus 2 weeks), I got him at 7 weeks old from a rescue centre and kept him in ever since because he was a young kitten, I bought him home with strict instructuions from the Vet, not to let him out for 24 hours until the aenesthetic had worn off, as he doesn't go out anyway, that didn't worry me. Until, I couldn't find him tonight, I quizzed both kids and asked if Misty had snuck out, no he hadn't, it wasn't until I called our other cat in, he sauntered up the driveway  :innocent:

He is now in for the night !!, but realistically, is a cat of his age ok to go out occasionally ?, I still think him as young and silly, but do they have any sense at that age?

He loves being out, but as he is such a sweetie, I would hate any harm coming to him.

Link to CatChat