Author Topic: Scratches & grazes on cats head  (Read 2826 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Scratches & grazes on cats head
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 19:41:58 PM »
ceporex 50mg antibtiotics...quite good for skin probs  ;D

Hope he clears up soon and stays away from the nasty stuff

Offline Harry

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 17:03:11 PM »
That would make sense, cement has allsorts of nasty stuff in it, glad hes ok tho  :)

Is the pink tablet Synulox? They are meant to be palatable so if you crush it up next time he may eat it. (note may lol)
Or you could try squishing cheese around them
or slotting it in a piece of meat
the tablet is called Cepore (50mg) (maybe something similar as the handwritting on the bottle isn't very clear)

i still can't figure out what the fascination of the cement bag was, but it's in the shed now so no chance of him getting to it in there. 

i read that other post about hiding it in some cheese, i think i'll have to give it a go.

he's been asleep almost entirely since we got back from the vet - glad i went to the vet and it should hopefully clear up pretty quickly. DIY should be finished by this weekend so that should mean the end of the mess/dust.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 16:48:38 PM »
is it, i wasnt sure which ingredient.

Lime is or was used often by farmers ontop of dead bodies to speed up the process. (its illegal to bury livestock now but bet it still goes on)

also lime is used on land .. not sure why exactly but its for goodness or something  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 16:39:01 PM »
Its the Lime in it, murderers use it to dissolve bodies but according to CSI it apparently preserves things too.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 16:24:10 PM »
oh yes cement burns apparently !!! (so hubby told me a while ago)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 15:55:50 PM »
That would make sense, cement has allsorts of nasty stuff in it, glad hes ok tho  :)

Is the pink tablet Synulox? They are meant to be palatable so if you crush it up next time he may eat it. (note may lol)
Or you could try squishing cheese around them
or slotting it in a piece of meat

Offline Harry

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 12:21:52 PM »
well i took Geoffrey to the vet this morning and the vet said that it's not war wounds but in fact an allergic reaction of some sort. first he thought it may be flea bites, he combed for them but couldn't find any.  he's only just had his frontline last week so i didn't think it would be fleas.

i'm pretty sure i know what is causing it though - i'm currently redecorating our bathroom and obviously it's kicking up alot of dust, especially when i was plastering.  and for some reason Geoffrey had some weird attraction to this particular bag of cement that he would sit on, i had to physically cover it to stop him from laying on it.  so i think the dust and any nasties in the cement powder has flared up a skin irritation.

the vet gave him a jab which he said would relieve the itchiness and prescribed a week of antibiotics - no doubt it'll be war when i try to give him them.  tried hiding it in his food when we got back from the vet, how he managed to lick the bowl clean and yet leave this tink tablet untouched i'll never know.  :rofl:

hopefully it'll clear quickly now we've got some treatment for him.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:41:14 AM »
good luck at the vets.

i just cant get G..G..G..Geoffery out of my head when i see his name LOL (watched too much rainbow as a child me thinks  :evillaugh:)

Offline Harry

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 21:37:30 PM »
Is he neutered? because unneutered toms do get into alot of fights esp around mating time?
Has he been treated regualary for fleas?

Hi Tan - yes he is neutered, we've had him for around a year and a half now and this didn't happen this time last year, so maybe there is a new cat on the block. And yes, we use Frontline on Geoffrey for fleas.

ps the ones who get bitten of their faces are often the ones who stand and fight, the ones who get cat bite abcesses round the tail / rear end often are the ones who are trying to run away.

hello lynn - well at least i know he stands up for himself - good lad!  :evillaugh:

that's for the advice, i had already called the vet earlier this evening to try and get an appointment for tomorrow. at the very least they'll clean the wounds up and at the same time i'll get them to give him his worming tablet as he is due.

thanks again

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 20:04:56 PM »
the one on the side of the face looks like a cat bite to me and the side of face/jaw is a common place for cats to bite other cats.  I'd also advise trip to vets as they may very well prescribe antibiotics.

ps the ones who get bitten of their faces are often the ones who stand and fight, the ones who get cat bite abcesses round the tail / rear end often are the ones who are trying to run away.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 19:54:53 PM »
Hiya Harry warm  :welcome: to you and Geoffrey  :)

Hmm I personally would def go down to the vet as soon as poss to have all of this checked out, if one of the scratches gets infected, he will feel very poorly indeed. 
Is he neutered? because unneutered toms do get into alot of fights esp around mating time?
Has he been treated regualary for fleas?
Ticks when they drop off do leave broken skin but to be honest it does look more like fight wounds.

Best get him to the vets 1st asap, they will be able to tell you what they are.

Tan

Offline Harry

• Kitten
Scratches & grazes on cats head
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 19:30:23 PM »
Hi everyone, can i have some opinions on whether these cuts and grazes that have recently appeared on my cats head are anything to worry about.  I hope he is just having a few disagreements with a local cat and that it'll soon stop, but some of the graze appear quite and deep and although blood is not trickling out of the wound it does look quite deep. 

It seems that every time he goes out he comes back with another, however i can't be sure.  Could he be scratching at these areas due to some sort of irritation?? Has anyone seen or recognises wounds like this?

Also, should i be cleaning the wounds or just leave them be, i'm sure he'll squirm all over the place before i wash the wounds out properly.

Here are some pics:
As well as the cut above his eye you can also see his got a bit of a gash on his nose very close to his eye. I'm worried that if he is fighting then it'll only be a matter of time before he comes back with a pretty serious wound.

This cut is deeper than the other side, it looks like a chunk has been ripped out as opposed to a sratch or anything like.

Should i keep Geoffrey in until the wounds have healed, or is he okay to roam around still.

I've never had any trouble like this beofre so any advice or help will be much appreciated.

From a worried cat owner.

Link to CatChat