Author Topic: Should i change vet?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Should i change vet?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 08:37:52 AM »
I posted the other day after our vet quote for spaying tipsey as £85 (although they boasted this included anaesthetic!! - do they usually do it without!)

That is good of them, round here the most expensive id about £42 ish. although I have seen posted on here up to £65 ish.

My own vet charges £37.62. This includes a pre op MOT on the day of the op. A check 3 days later to ensure all is well and stitches out 12 days later. It used to be 10 days but very recently it was changed to 12 days.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 22:22:02 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Thats good to hear i'm not being overcharged on consultations.

I will look elsewhere to get her spayed though.

ps. from the cries she let out, the smear wasn't much fun!  :Crazy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 20:51:43 PM »
No idea what rectal spears are - and it sounds like they are testing for guardia, thought they just did a fecal smear to test for that though. Consults at my vet start around £19ish, then go down. That spay is incredibly expensive though
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 20:39:18 PM »
Yeah - a consultation is over £20 at my vets - I forget exactly how much as I've not been for consultation for a while.  No idea how much a rectal spear costs as I've no idea what it is!  Except that it sounds rather painful  :Crazy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 20:08:01 PM »
I had to take Franta to vets 3 weeks ago and consultaion £25!! and that is in Wales.  :sick:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 20:05:00 PM »
Hiya that does sound expensive for a spay but i have had only lads so i'm sure other wonderful peeps on here can give ya a better idea than moi.

The consultaion fee £18 isn't bad mine is £24 per cat that's down in Hampshire.

You can always get 2nd opinions from diff vets, i glad i did when my Rio was yound and had running bum for about 3 weeks at 9 weeks old. If i hadn't seen another vet after my old ones wern't helping him, he could of died. The new vet treated him and he was better in 2 days :)

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
Should i change vet?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 19:18:51 PM »
I posted the other day after our vet quote for spaying tipsey as £85 (although they boasted this included anaesthetic!! - do they usually do it without!)

I'm definately going to ring round other vets for cheaper quotes.

Tonight though, i had to take her to our vet because shes had persistant diarrhea.  They did a rectal spear (poor little thing wasn't happy) and that along with the price of the consultation came to.............£36!  Does that sound alot or is it just me being naive?

Unfortunately because we (stupidly) only bought pet insurance 10 days ago, we aren't covered for the cost of these tests (insurance policy says it excludes any treatment for first 14 days). 

If the test comes back negative (for jaudria - i must have spelt it completely wrong) then she has to have 2 more rectal smears to make sure its definately negative.  This will cost us well over £100.  And if its then still negative, they will then put her on antibiotics.  And then if that doesn't work, we will have to try special vet food.  Again the insurance won't cover all of this because this all began within the first 14 days of cover. 

Should i change vet?  Or does this sound normal pricing.  A consultation is £18.

We live in hertfordshire (i know prices vary by area)

They are a lovely vets but i don't know how we're afford all these tests and treatment if her smear comes back negative.

Link to CatChat