Author Topic: Lemongrass and cats  (Read 2648 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Lemongrass and cats
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »
A quick look at the list; don't seem to be herbs on it AFAIK. I checked for lavender, oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary etc which I grow in a pot.
If most if not all herbs are ok, kitties are probably ok with lemongrass. It tastes very strong so it's not likely they'd snack it anyhow.
Cook it up with some chicken mind you and they'd be in head first :-)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 03:23:02 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help. If anyone knows more about this, please post.
 :thanks:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 17:16:29 PM »
I did a search and  the (as usual conflicting) advice ranges from growing lemongrass as "cats love it" to a herbalist saying don't give it to cats as they are unable to metabolize essential oils.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 15:16:09 PM »
It doesn't appear to be on the list of Toxic plants so I think it's probably OK

I know what you are saying however, I think it best of a vet checks with the poisons unit. A few weeks ago we asked the vet of we could give Jessica ginger root for her 'bum like a cows backside problem', knowing that ginger can help humans in these situations. Ginger is not on the list of plants toxic to cats yet when the vet rang the poisons unit they said on no account must we give it to a cat.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 15:05:16 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 15:02:20 PM »
It doesn't appear to be on the list of Toxic plants so I think it's probably OK ..... you'll probably find the cats will like it and spend even more time in your mums garden!  :rofl:

http://www.cathelp-online.com/emergency/poisonplants.php
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 15:10:23 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Lemongrass and cats
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 14:03:19 PM »
My mother is a keen gardener and non too fond of cats. She was asking me for advice about keeping cats out of her garden. (Welcome them, thinks me!) I told her that cats dislike the smell of citrus, at which point she said that she had some lemongrass seeds she'd been meaning to plant. After the phone call, I wondered whether lemongrass is actually safe for felines.

Would be grateful for input from any peeps, and so would the cats who live around my mum!

Link to CatChat