Author Topic: cat food question  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: cat food question
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 12:00:12 PM »
thanks ela

so taurine isnt in chciken then no ?

would she b ok living on chicken till the xray or should i try n include tiny bits of cat meat mashed down with the chicken?

Taurine is present in ALL RAW meats, but cooking reduces the levels of taurine as Milly's Mum pointed out, although there will still be some remaining - depends on how you cook the meat, baking results in smaller percentage loss of taurine, (up to 64%), than cooking in water (loss of up to 85%). This is why cat food manufacturers add taurine to cat food because it is destroyed by the processing. I'm sure it will be fine to feed the chicken for the time being if that's what she'll  keep down, better than her throwing up her usual food and therefore not getting any essential nutrients.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 15:48:26 PM »

It is in raw chicken but when its cooked most of it is destroyed  :)

Has your vet offered you any pouches of waltham sensitivity diet? Its a bland chicken/rice food but has the neccessary nutrients added. Might be worth trying if her problems carry on.

I hope her vet trip goes ok, i find the worst part is witholding breakfast!  :-:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 13:00:43 PM »
should i try n include tiny bits of cat meat mashed down with the chicken?

You could try but if it is going to make her sick it is not worth it. A few days more until you see the vet should be OK.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 12:59:04 PM »
cool thanks
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »
forever she will be fine until her xrays.

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »
thanks ela

would she b ok living on chicken till the xray or should i try n include tiny bits of cat meat mashed down with the chicken?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:39:55 PM »
i thought cats had to have cat food due to them needing the tourrine

Taurine is a colorless, crystalline compound which is found in the free form in invertebrates and in the bile of mammals. It promotes the intestinal absorption of lipids (fats) as cholesterol.
Taurine is an important part of the feline diet and is essential in preventing a disorder in cats called "dilated cardiomyopathy" (which is a failure of the heart muscle whereupon the heart tissue itself swells to try to meet the animal's circulatory needs), as well as being very significant in helping feline reproduction and prevention of a progressive retinal disease called feline central retinal degeneration(FCRD) which will cause blindness if left untreated.
In queens that have taurine-deficient diets, there are more still births, fewer live kittens born, and ultimately fewer kittens that survive to the weaning stage.
In the wild, rodents formed a large part of the feline diet, and the rodents had significant levels of taurine in their brains.
When we began to domesticate cats and feed them commercial cat foods instead of their wild diets, taurine deficiency started appearing.
Cats are different from other animals in that they cannot make enough taurine internally to meet their needs, and they must have enough taurine supplied to them in their food.
Since these studies came out, most major pet food companies revised their pet food formulas

Here endeth todays lesson

how much cat food should i try and make her have each day still ?

You cannot make her have any apart from syringing and that may make her sick. I would wait until the results of the X-ray next week then discuss the implications with the vet.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Super Cat
cat food question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 12:19:38 PM »
how come i heard someone say they feed there cat a raw natural diet only i thought cats had to have cat food due to them needing the tourrine (or how ever u spell it lol  but u know wat i mean )

also with Bridie at the moment im feeding her a lot more fresh chicken then cat meat due to her not keeping it down , her xray is nxt week ,but in the mean time i have to feed her mostly chicken (as its the only thing she will keep down 100 per cent of the time ) and she can have as much as she wants of that without me keep making her taking a break in fear of her being sick ,

how much cat food should i try and make her have each day still ?

Link to CatChat