Author Topic: Please give me some advice!  (Read 10192 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Please give me some advice!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 17:58:23 PM »
Hope that all will be OK  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 17:38:33 PM »
Hope it all goes ok at the vets  :hug:
I have read several articles on hyper t cats crying at night. Hopefully they'l start her on meds and you will get a good nights kip again

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 14:20:05 PM »
I'll be thinking of you Hun ..and do try and get some sleep xx
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 13:51:49 PM »
Jack can't offer any advice but just wanted to send you a great big  :cuddle: and hope everything goes well at the vet next week :wish:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 11:48:46 AM »
Apart from wind.

Plain yogurt seems to help my Jessica
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 11:36:39 AM »
The rescues vet does it all the time, it is incredibly irritating!!
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 11:34:47 AM »
quite right desley.  A receptionist even if she is a vn was in no postion to say such a thing on the phone, i mean its a pretty hefty diagnosis to make considering the cat wasnt even in front of them !

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 11:32:01 AM »
I think she is a VN.

I can't take her in today, and to be honest she doesn't seem to be suffering. (Apart from wind. She's currently sat on my lap, which is the only way I can keep her quiet.)

I will however, try and organise it for either Monday or Tuesday of next week. I'm reliant on a friend for transport, so it's really whether he's available.

CC, I asked if they'd let me cancel Parsleys cover about a week after I lost her; they said no. I asked because I have other pets and I felt that the assistance I was being offered was now not being put to good use. It feels strange to use Parsleys cover - I'm not sure why.

Thanks for the hugs. I'll let you know how we get on next week.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 11:28:55 AM »
CC, no, that isn't always the case - but even if they are a VN, they should still watch their words when mentioning illnesses - Pebbles had the vet convinced of kidney probs twice off her condition and feeling that area, yet both bloods came back negative, so how they can say something with certainty without seeing them baffles me.

Good luck JS, I do hope something can be sorted for her, and hope that this vet will give meds for the hyper-t, it might make a massive difference - never heard of hardened arteries for increased vocalisation, but it does go in line with hyper-t.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 11:28:28 AM »
The receptionist in my vets is the vn too, I just presume this is the same in most vets?

Not at our vets they have at least 2 receptionists on at a time and loads of VN's

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »
The receptionist in my vets is the vn too, I just presume this is the same in most vets?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 11:19:53 AM »
The receptionist said her increased vocalness could be due to hardening arteries making it harder for oxygen to get to her brain. She made it sound as though she didn't have long left, especially after I told her she was 16.

PLEASE DEMAND TO BE TOLD WHAT QUALIFIES A RECEPTIONIST TO MAKE THAT PRESUMPTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (what a load of bloody clap trap if you ask me)

It is more than reasonable to expect her "mild hyperthyroidism" will now be much worse as it does get worse and worse if not treated which then also leads onto heart and kidney problems.  Of course at that age she could also have primary renal problems anyway.

Bottom line is she needs full bloods done i'd say or atelast ones to check liver/kidney & thyroid levels.

ps meant to say i hope they can sort her out for you  :hug:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:21:11 AM by lynn »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 11:18:40 AM »
No advice, just a  :hug: - it's good that the vet will see her like that, are you going today?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:15:35 AM »
I dont know what to say because I dont know what this condition is, but very sad when you think you might be loosing a little one.  :hug:

Jack are you using the pdsa through a private vet?

If so did you get a registration form? It says on there they will only unregister a pet if it has died while in their care, which I think you mentioned about Parsley, sorry to bring it up again.  :shy:

But then again I go to a pdsa hospital so it could all be different.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:35:11 AM »
I know, also I'm thinking a bit jammy. By diagnosing MILD hyperthyroidism but not giving any medication for it last time, this time I'll have a struggle getting financial help from the PDSA if that is the problem.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 10:21:39 AM »
I've just phoned the vet who has agreed to see her on Parsleys cover

Lucky you and understanding vet

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Please give me some advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:14:26 AM »
My old girl has got so vocal that I'm getting seriously sleep deprived. Currently I'm on the verge of tears and after giving her a herbal remedy that has, from time to time, worked she's still going.

My partners sleeping pattern is different to mine, so I have to try and keep her quiet until he gets up too. (He hasn't demanded this, but knowing how unpleasant it is to be woken up by her shrieking I feel it's only fair.) This means I can't go anywhere to get anything until he's conscious too!

She was diagnosed with a mild hyperthyroid disorder, (before you all jump on me, I've since been informed that a mild version of this doesn't exist!)but the vet didn't feel she really needed medication. It did mean, though, that I expected a bit of noise.

I've just phoned the vet who has agreed to see her on Parsleys cover.(I'm not allowed to cancel it, even though she's no longer here. :() The receptionist said her increased vocalness could be due to hardening arteries making it harder for oxygen to get to her brain. She made it sound as though she didn't have long left, especially after I told her she was 16.

Now I feel guilty for wanting a decent nights sleep and terrified I'm going to lose her. I don't know what to do. Help!

Link to CatChat