Author Topic: Peeing Everwhere.. Again!  (Read 7886 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Peeing Everwhere.. Again!
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 09:55:46 AM »
My experience is the same as Ela's. Max peed everywhere. He was on busparone and seeing a useless behaviorist. We moved house to a flat overseas and.....no more peeing. Not even once (to the behaviourist's amazement). Stress in their environment unless there's an underlying physical cause.  Not much help if I say move to France though is it?! But in retrospect it was the smell of that house when we moved in I think - the couple before us had 2 dogs and it smelt doggy. I cleaned the carpets etc myself instead of having it professionally done to remove all 'scary' smells. Max started in the bath, we didn't take it too seriously, then he got more and more used to peeing to relieve stress and went everywhere - even all over my CD collection and once aaaaaaaaaaaah on the PC.  Once they start, unless you change the environment, it seems very hard to stop.
Don't punish for spraying as nervousness just makes it worse.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 09:46:50 AM »
meowneko if you are using bleach this will probably prolong the problems as it contains ammonia which attracts cats to pee anyway.

try washing the areas with water/washing powder and allow to dry.  If you were here i'd recommend the simple solution products and also spraying the areas once dried with "feliway spray"  or you could try spraying with surgical spirit  or alcohol.

Offline meowneko

• Kitten
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
i've been having the same problem with my squeaker.  he's 6 now and only started peeing everywhere a year ago.  did all the vet checks and feliway spraying and nature's miracle cleaning and nothing works!  i'm at my wits end getting pee'd on while i'm fast asleep in my own bed!  he's my "momma's boy" of my brood of 5 and will ALWAYS sleep with me.  i finally relented and put him in diapers, but he will not pee anywhere when the diapers are on, but as soon as you take them off, he will go straight to the cat box, pee and then start spraying all over the house!  i should have shares in clorox bleach!  after the second time of diaper wearing, he figured out how to get the dang diapers off himself by opening the closet door just enough to fit his but through, then shimmy himself between the door and the frame and i'd find a perfectly cat bum shaped diaper sitting in the open closet doorway and squeaker no where to be found!  my house smells so bad especially when it's been a hot day (and i live in HAWAII mind you!).   oh, by the way, he's been neutered since he was a kitten... :-[

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 12:46:25 PM »
I don't think thats the problem Ela, he's not spraying either, just peeing,

The 3rd para talks of Teddy who just peeed. Over the years we have taken in many cats who have acted like this, once re-homed the problem has not occurred.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 09:19:02 AM »
Just a thought, i wander if it will settle abit after tilly has been spayed ??

I'd still go down the feliway route, both spray and diffuser and altho cody is long way off being trusted i am wondering if he is slightly better with age.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 09:02:58 AM »
I have carpet and my 2 do scratch it but it doesn't seem to show effects of the scratching so I don't mind too much as they leave the furniture alone.  I would prefer laminate or wood flooring and when/if I move I'll definitely look into that.  Easier to keep clean if you have asthma/allergy issues and cleaning cat sick off carpet is really difficult - always leaves a stain and I end up scrubbing and scrubbing with capret shampoo until I replace the stain with a bleached patch! 

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 08:57:23 AM »
I don't think thats the problem Ela, he's not spraying either, just peeing, he's not done it for days now as I have kept the doors closed, I think it is a territory thing as it's only ever the same two duvets he does it on! I've ordered a covered litter box too and new litter so I'll just keep trying different things.

I couldn't rehome him anyways, he's my baby, he's def happy here with Tilly, he was a very nervous cat to start with but he's came out of his shell brilliantly <333

xxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »
Tom, my 8 month old cat

Do you have other cats?  Oops just read the answer to my question.
Sadly very occasionally nothing you do will solve the problem except find another home where he will be the only cat.

So many times I have had this problem yet when the cat has been re homed problem solves. Although I appreciate for me that was an easy option as the cats were foster cats and need another home anyway. I always remember I cat I had he sprayed absolutely everywhere I tried everything, yet I knew once re homed all would be well,. He went to his new home sprayed once and then newer again.

Before my daughter got  married she had 3 cats here and one of the long term foster cats Teddy used to wee everywhere, mattresses were going out of the door almost quicker than you could say mattress. As soon as Julies cats went to their new home the problem with Teddy stopped.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:47:21 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 08:30:35 AM »
When you think about it, it may be comfortable but certainly not hygienic. In some countries people take their shoes off when they come in but not here. You don't know what people have walked in before walking into the house. I have a particular grievance as so many people that come into my B&B don't even wipe their feet! . I have a coconut mat otside, a turtle mat just inside the front door followed by a long wool runner but I still have to shampoo the stair carpet every 2 months at least. >:(

I recently cleaned the carpet on a Thursday and on the Friday, a woman marched in wearing walking boots and said "I hope I don't get nud on your lovely cream carpet" I said "So do I  :tired: "

We decided that the rug in the downstairs can easily be shampooed (I have a karcher machine) and replaced as & when - a lot cheaper than replacing fitted carpets  ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:32:20 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 08:30:09 AM »
Lyn it would get easily damaged in my house and i think the main reason mark has dented once in 3 months is because theres only really adults there, the kids would have that marked and dented in no time (altho possibley i'd be worse than them...2 days after getting my new expensive vinyl in the kitchen i dropped a sharp knife which landed tip in the vinyl, handle sticking up in air millimetres from my toe  :Crazy:)

Im the same as sarah, i think washable flooring in  kitchen/bathroom area and carpet else where, altho i have thought about laminate for my -bedroom as my cream carpet down my side is totally covered in makeup -- i use those pearly blush balls thingys and im forever dropping them and they go everywhere  >:(

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 08:24:02 AM »
If carpet was that unhygenic I'm sure people wouldn't still be buying it.
Personally I have no problem with it, Tilly has been sick on it a few times and with a bit of carpet cleaner and it comes off fab.

Mark - And so you have proved, the cats love it! "One thing (of the many) that pees me off is clapton has his bowl on a food mat on the wood floor but he drags chicken etc out of the bowl, 2ft away to the rug to eat it! "

I have wooden floor in my kitchen and tiles in my bathrooms, I like them like that, but I don't like the WHOLE house with hard flooring, carpets are more homely in my opinion.

Sarah x

P.S - Hahaaha, this thread should be moved to General now hahhahaha

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 19:26:36 PM »
Mark : i agree its pointless people having carpet in the bathrooms lol it will get soaked n ruined

my Bridie use to wee behind our tv when we had carpet here

carpet is very very unhygenice .

and when one of them is sick on carpet its a nightmare too
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 19:22:32 PM »
awwww wear socks n slippers
i do lol  :rofl:

You can get those "toasties" made by Totes. They have rubber bobbles on the bottom so you don't slip. I also got my aged mother  (in her 60's  :evillaugh: )  some slippers they make made out of stretchy cotton with bobbles underneath
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 19:23:10 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 19:18:37 PM »
We have "engineered oak" flooring in the lower ground floor. We had carpet put in less than 2 years ago at great expense but it was ruined. What with willow constantly peeing behing the TV and dirty foot & pawrints from the garden. We ended up having it ripped out and the new floor put it. it cost over £4000 but will last forever - I did dent it today though for the 1st time in 3 months since it was put in - I unscrewed a cupboard handle to paint and dropped it from 6ft! . I agree with hygiene etc - it can get really messy but comes up like new. I have carpet all over the rest of the house and clean the carpets every 3 months or so and the water is FILTHY - they are so ungygienic. I can never understand people who have carpet in their bathroom  :sick: - it's OK having washable mats but carpet  :sick: :sick:

One thing (of the many) that pees me off is clapton has his bowl on a food mat on the wood floor but he drags chicken etc out of the bowl, 2ft away to the rug to eat it!  >:(

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 19:01:58 PM »
i cant believe peeing turned into laminate  :rofl:

Seldom i'll stick with you (and gill) carpets much nicer for lots of reasons altho i see the pro's for laminate or in my preference proper wooden flooring.

i was just thinking did you see the posts about the ssssssscat thingy gadget ela mentioned before ??

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 18:26:26 PM »
awwww wear socks n slippers
i do lol  :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 18:10:51 PM »
I have one room with laminate and its soooooo cold to stand on, my carpets are covered in fur and the stairs get used like a scratching post but I want warm feet  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 17:39:51 PM »
each to there own init 8)

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 17:27:58 PM »
Yes I suppose they could if they wanted, then it would end up scratched.

As I have said, I don't like laminate, so I'll stick to my carpets.

Sarah x

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 17:25:23 PM »
Exactly !
they cant scratch laminate can they  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 17:21:22 PM »
My home does look modern up to date and classy with nice neutral coloured carpets Imo.
Luckily my cats don't urinate on the carpets, so I don't have to worry about cleaning it up.

The point of the post was urinating on bedding and scratching on carpets.

Sarah x

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 17:18:02 PM »
Laminate is really modern
it makes a home look modern up to date and classy  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

if a cat wees on carpet then its a nightmare it stinks and stinks amd its a nightmare to get rid of
with laminate u can wash it clean it and wipe it over and dry it in seconds !

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 16:57:32 PM »
Not if you clean your carpets properly and frequently Imo.

I also feel like laiminate makes a room look really bare and cold. It's just not for me really.

I know what Lynn means about the noise too hahaha, my two run around all day, it would give me a sore head with hard flooring haha.

Sarah x
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 16:58:06 PM by seldom_use »

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 16:47:17 PM »
laminate flooring is also very hygenic it can be washed everyday !
unlike carpets
has anyone seen the filth and dustmites that get stuck in carpets ewwwwwwwwwwwww

it can be a bit noisey when the dog walks or runs across it but the bennifets defo out weigh a little bit of noise .

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 16:20:12 PM »
i hate laminate flooring .. think its crap imo sorry guys who have it.

when i was at my friend the other day her cats were padding around fairly sedately so they were ok but there was my 2 1/2 year old, her 2 year old and my 6 year old and my holy god the noise every footstep (with no shoes on) made and every toy clanked on the floor ...nooooo that would have me in the nut house within half a day i reckon all that noise.  My cody would make a hell of a din on it i think aswell.

we have just replaced the kitchen flooring with vinyl, expensive as we got high quality stuff so the greyhounds nails dont tear it but its fab and not nearly as cold as we thought it would be (obviously i wouldnt have that in living areas etc)

We'll be sticking to carpets i reckon but i have been on proper wooden  floors as in oak / hardwood flooring not laminated compressed stuff and it doesnt seem quite so echoey as the laminate ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 16:22:02 PM by lynn »

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 16:18:09 PM »
I'm not a fan of laminate, too used to my carpets, hate stepping on even the bathroom tiles in the morning haaha.

I'll just need to persist with laying a throw over the bits they scratch.

Sarah x

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 16:14:26 PM »
yep laminate flooring rules !
its a real must for anyone with pets or kids imo

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 15:06:44 PM »
The carpets? Yep, sorry. Part of cat ownership. RIP carpets. My lot've got a houseful of scratchposts and sofas to attack but they seem partial to a bit of carpet too.  :'( I think its just one of those Cat Things. I hear laminate flooring's very popular these days...  :rofl:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 14:50:46 PM »
Had a look Lynn, they look fantastic.

They'll need to be a future investment haha

Sarah x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 14:35:47 PM »
seldom see a link left by mark under a thread i started in the general non cats thread..its bout magic duvets that all fit in a machine then bounce back..looks really good !

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 14:31:02 PM »
Yeh I'll try Millys Mum, do you think it might be worth getting a covered tray too, he throws his litter everwhere as it is haha, he does use the normal trays though, both of them.

Sarah x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 14:24:37 PM »
Maybe you could try an extra tray of fine sand like litter, something my behaviour book suggests regularly. Tesco sell a tub called sophisticat choice for £4.99.

Good luck  :)

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 14:14:43 PM »
Millys Mum - He is neutered, I have 2 boxes, they're not covered ones, I use BioCatolet litter, him and Tilly are brother and sister, they get on brilliantly and they're indoor cats.
A plastic sheet might have to be an option..

Rebecca - I couldn't leave Tom by himself hahaha, then he would cry for me and Tilly all night hahaha.
I have catnip spray, think I might also get feliway and see if it helps.

As for the carpets.. Think thats something I'll just have to get used to haha  :rofl:

Thanks everyone

Sarah x

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 12:36:43 PM »
Maybe Tom could sleep in the kitchen on his own once in a while so that Tilly can join you upstairs?

Ollie went through a phase of spraying absolutely everywhere after Benji from next door had been in to say hello, I found that a squirt of catnip spray in the area seemed to distract him from feeling the need to spray it. He's stopped now... thank gawd!
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »
Is Tom neutered?
How many trays do you have?
What type of litter?
Does he get on with your other cats?
I remember reading some time back, something about insecure cats peeing on duvets because they smell strongly of their favourite person, just incase an intruder comes along.
Do you have a catflap? Is it possible another cat is comming in

I know what you mean about carpets, my lot dig at any door im behind! Maybe you could chuck a plastic sheet over the bed with a couple of towels for Tilly, easy to wash if he gets them.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:27:13 AM »
i mainly spray the feliway on the areas he pee'd on, after it was cleaned etc..i also spray the dogs beds after they have been washed as its then he seems to want to pee on them...after they smell of cody and the dogs hes ok.

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »
Think I might invest in more feliway then, what do you use the spray on?
I only have one diffuser..
I might clip their nail abit more often too, although they'll still do it likely haha, thanks for all your help Lynn

Sarah x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »
codys not too bad as he uses his proper posts for that but he does do the door posts, luckily i have so many layers of stain and varnish i cant see any scratches yet LOL , hes not too bad for carpets altho he did originally start off peeing at the front door on the carpet but not scratching them.  I learned tho they also have scent glands on their front paws and scratching is a way of not only marking but also scenting their territory also.

sounds like you really need to use feliway everywhere if you havent already done so and remember they say to use feliway diffusers for atleast 3 months !!! if i were you i'd get a couple atleast plus the spray.  I noticed a difference with cody when using the spray altho i didnt have the diffusers, (i like my perfume ones too much LOL)

the bigger cats have destroyed the carpets around their food bowls tho by scratching as that is normal they try to "bury" their food.

you can clip their nails every few days if need be !

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »
Thanks Lynn, I just hate keeping them out of other rooms, plus Tilly loves snuggling on my bed, so it means she doesn't get to anymore because of Tom and his peeing haha, poor Tilly.

Tom's done the same as Cody, he'll be really good for a week, and I think, oh thats him over that phase, then he'll go pee all over the place..

Luckily he's never peed in the livingroom, just hope that he'll never start doing that.

Have you had any experience with scratching the carpets up Lynn? They've already ripped up the livingroom one, now they're starting on the bedrooms because the doors are closed, I've tried they pads that you can place over the spots they scratch at, but they just started scratching around it hahaha.

Thanks so much

Sarah x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:26:23 AM »
he sounds just like my cody hun, sorry but you will have to just ban him permanently from any room that has duvets or the likes, its the only thing you can do if you have followed all the previous advice i am sure you were given.   I didnt have tests etc done on cody as i knew perfectely well there was no medical cause for it.
On a brighter note cody has been going into ) connors room more and more albeit not for very long periods of time and he hasnt pee'd on the duvet for ages (touching wood!)
He has attempted to pee on the dogs rugs though and i knew he was going to so was standing by waiting for him to squat (after lots of wild scratching first) and i whipped the dishtowel in the air to scare him off..so far the dogs have had dry bed for weeks aswell but im a long way off trusting him !!

Link to CatChat