Author Topic: Advice when moving home  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Advice when moving home
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 10:26:23 AM »
It's a nice place here and to be honest if you had a different question every day, no one would mind and you would get an answer! that is the the nature of the forum. It's also a nice place to have a laugh too, so join in :)

Keep us posted how it goes!

I 100% concur with Si... Purrs has been an absolute God send to me! There's such a wealth of experience and knowledge on here, that no matter what you ask, there is always someone who will have an answer or at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck with the move. I shall look forward to seeing pics of your furbabies!  :hug:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 00:37:11 AM »
It's a nice place here and to be honest if you had a different question every day, no one would mind and you would get an answer! that is the the nature of the forum. It's also a nice place to have a laugh too, so join in :)

Keep us posted how it goes!

Offline mandy64

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Layla & Keira
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 19:31:23 PM »
thank you for all your replies, so kind

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 14:10:47 PM »
Welcome to Purrs Mandy and don't be frightened of asking us anything - we all share our ideas on a regular basis  :hug:

I've no experience of moving house with a cat but I would imagine they would be ok if you makke them as comfy as possible in your new home.  You may still have unpacked boxes BUT make sure everything for your cat is unpacked first and get a packet or 2 of Dreamies.

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 23:42:38 PM »
  :welcome:  Cats can be trained to come when you call (or a bell or whistle or shaken box) just like a dog can except cats learn faster! You just have to make it worth their while: Noah really enjoys clicker training - he gets prawns so is very attentive and purrs the entire session.  :rofl: There are plenty of 'how to' videos on YouTube but I have a book (cheap from Amazon) which explains the steps on recall very simply, and advises to train one cat at a time. By the way prawns do not work well for recall as they are too smelly interesting for Noah to risk getting even one foot away from.  :tired:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline mandy64

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 21:55:29 PM »
Gillian,
that is very helpful and makes me feel loads better

Offline mandy64

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 21:54:13 PM »
ah thank you so much

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 21:52:45 PM »
Mandy try not to stress yourself. try to look on the brighgtside. Even if they do go back to the old house it is not that far away and I am sure if you speak to the new owners nicely they will be helpful. Every new house owner worries their cat may not come home and it could be worse if you lived miles away. So try and look at it positively as worrying never did anyone any good :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 21:40:24 PM »
I cannot function properly anymore in the house but if it is not going to work for the cats I dont think I can move. I am so worried for them

I moved to a house in the same road with 6 cats, and I did have one who kept returning to the old house, but he hadnt been with me long (turned up as a stray) before I moved. He did eventually stop going back there. None of the others ever tried to return to the old house though.

Certainly I would keep them in for as long as possible to give them a chance to really feel comfortable in the new place. Plug in some Feliway diffusers and when the time comes to let them out, do it just before a normal food time, stay with them in the garden and like Si mentioned, call them back in for their food, and just gradually increase the time they stay out.  :hug:

Offline mandy64

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 21:38:16 PM »
oh will start trying that

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 21:35:27 PM »
Yes a great tip and I would practice starting now getting them to learn that the rattling tin means food  ;D

Offline mandy64

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 21:25:03 PM »
thats a good tip thank you,
the reason it is such a short distance is because I am in a house and I am moving to an adapted bungalow, I cannot function properly anymore in the house but if it is not going to work for the cats I dont think I can move. I am so worried for them

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 21:18:43 PM »
I would also only let them out when hungry and when you are with them. Try to only have them out for five minutes for the first week then have some noise biscuits to shake to get them back in.

Offline mandy64

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 20:45:32 PM »
thank you for your advice I will try 6 weeks

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 20:43:32 PM »
I think you are probably right and they will.....sigh

To be honest unless you have a cat proofed garden its not going to make any difference if you keep them in 6 weeks or 6 years, they will most likely go back to their old home.

I can only suggest that you stay in contact with the new owners and that they know what may happen and can contact you.

Please let us know what happens....when do you move?

I would optgto keep them in for 6 weeks however and hope!

Offline mandy64

• Kitten
Advice when moving home
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 20:33:28 PM »
Hi everyone, I am new here so I hope you dont mind me asking for advice so soon but I am worried.
I have moved home with my cats before and for 3 weeks kept them in and had no problems but this time is different, I am only moving 4 houses away and I am worried that as soon as I let them out again they will follow the original scent and go back to the old house.

any ideas

thank you

Link to CatChat