Author Topic: The Swiss are to ban the cat fur trade  (Read 2936 times)

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
Re: The Swiss are to ban the cat fur trade
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 16:12:18 PM »
I would like a bomb dropped on any country involved in cat & dog fur or meat  >:(

To drop the cat among the pigeons so to speak  :shy: How is dog & cat fur or meat any worse than pig, cow, reindeer, seal - you name it!

I don't support the farming of any animal for fur or meat, regardless of whether it's a dog or cat or cow or horse. I find the idea of eating cat or horse meat no more horrible than the idea of eating pig or cow  :sick: To an extent I don't object to the hunting of wild animals for meat or pelt as long as the animal is then used efficiently (like in Saami tribes in Scandinavia) and is not endangered, and the hunting of that animal is not sufficient to have an adverse impact on the population or ecosystem.

Anyway, it's just an opinion and I do understand why people would disagree with me, after all 3 cats are members of my family and the idea of them being eaten or ending up as someones coat is horrific  :(

This is a cat lovers forum, and while obviously none of us here want any animal treated without respect, this here is a cat forum so is bound to be biased toward cruel treatment of cats.

Blackcat - human protein - you what ???
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 15:54:56 PM »
inky we are agreeing with each other - why are you taking everything I post to mean the opposite to what it says ? :Crazy: :Crazy: I know how the Saami treat animals, I have a friend who is Saami ...  :Crazy:

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 15:37:39 PM »
but the pet fur trade is horrific, without a shadow of a doubt, and nothing further removed from the principles of the Saami can be imagined. Not having a go at you at all. I agree with a lot of what you have said, just not that bit

Teeheehee - I think we have crossed wires :) What I meant was, the Saami and other indigenous people actually use their animals very efficiently, I cannot find any fault in what they do. I did not mean to say they brutally slaughter animals for fur, far from it. I was using them as an example of the kind of hunting for meat and pelt I do not object to.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 15:38:42 PM by Inky »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 15:27:01 PM »
yes I do think it unfortunate that - with presumably the best of intentions, a lot of lobbiests do represent things in the worst possible way - in much the same was as media journalists make a mountain out of a molehill, but i am one of lifes sceptics and, having grown up on a farm, am in no way squeamish or gullible in how I respond to evidence. I am inclined to examine it closely the more horrific it seems to be - as so often perfectly normal, appropriate behaviours are misrepresented by people who want to make a point or who either do not understand or do not want to understand the full range of issues - but the pet fur trade is horrific, without a shadow of a doubt, and nothing further removed from the principles of the Saami can be imagined. Not having a go at you at all. I agree with a lot of what you have said, just not that bit - hey, I am a carnivore and wear leather, so am in no position to moralise at all - as you say, if the animal lives with respect, and dies with respect and all its usable bits are used - then it has lived a good life - pity they don't do the same with all that human protein we routinely waste ...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 15:23:06 PM »
horrific, barbaric and cruel treatment of ANY animal, regardless of species, intended use (fur or meat) is just sick and wrong. End of.

Agreed!
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 15:18:25 PM »
I know it is disgusting and I do not support it AT ALL, I just want to make that clear.

I have also seen footage of this happening to raccoons, minks etc.  :sick: and footage of horrific practices in the UK meat industry - admittedly biased - footage (from Veg societies) but so is a lot of anti-fur footage. The fact that they are biased does not in my opinion make them any less valid but there are some who feel it makes the footage worth less.  :shocked:

The way dogs and cats are horrifically treated to be used for fur or meat is the same way hundreds of other species are treated for fur or meat - is it just that they are common pet animals in the UK that we are more awake to how disgusting these practices are?

My point is (I do think you got it first time round but just want to make it clear to anyone who didn't) that horrific, barbaric and cruel treatment of ANY animal, regardless of species, intended use (fur or meat) is just sick and wrong. End of.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 14:38:13 PM »
I have seen (and heard  :( ) the footage as well. It is as far from humane as you can imagine. I have seen footage of animals skinned alive, cats having belts put on their necks and hung, dogs beaten to death etc  :( To compare that to humane slaughter just doesn't make any sense. In certain far east countries, cats and dogs are beaten while they are alive to tenderise the meat  :(

I admit I do question my meat eating often but I do buy organic/freerange.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 14:40:59 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 14:27:30 PM »
in principle i agree with you Inky, but the pet animal fur trade does not result in the animal being eaten, they are taken from the streets and fequently skinned alive - there has been some fairly graphic footage posted elsewhere here that does not leave it open to any debate as to what it is you are witnessing. It is that aspect of the trade that causes such a strong reaction I think, although there are members here who feel killing any animal for human benefit it wrong ...

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 14:08:40 PM »
I would like a bomb dropped on any country involved in cat & dog fur or meat  >:(

To drop the cat among the pigeons so to speak  :shy: How is dog & cat fur or meat any worse than pig, cow, reindeer, seal - you name it!

I don't support the farming of any animal for fur or meat, regardless of whether it's a dog or cat or cow or horse. I find the idea of eating cat or horse meat no more horrible than the idea of eating pig or cow  :sick: To an extent I don't object to the hunting of wild animals for meat or pelt as long as the animal is then used efficiently (like in Saami tribes in Scandinavia) and is not endangered, and the hunting of that animal is not sufficient to have an adverse impact on the population or ecosystem.

Anyway, it's just an opinion and I do understand why people would disagree with me, after all 3 cats are members of my family and the idea of them being eaten or ending up as someones coat is horrific  :(

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
We lived in Germany for 13 years and i never saw any evidence, from what we did see they treat their animals very well and I would call them "animal lovers"
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:04:17 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was reading up on the whole cat fur trade I read that in Germany you can find cat coats quite easily

That has been said for many years.

apparently the Swiss believe that by wearing a cat pelt that will cure their rheumatism!

That also has been said for more years than I can remember but I have never heard Switzerland mentioned before only other countries in Europe. What actually used to be said was that it was bangles of cat pelt like we in this country wear the copper bangles.

I have never been to Germany ( and obviously don't plan doing so in order to save my mind from being broken

I go to Switzerland and Germany at least once every year for up to 3 weeks and have never seen any evidence whatsoever.

That's really good to hear.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:35:45 AM »
I read that cat & dog coats were available in Germany. The EC has banned imports of fur from the far east but for some stupid red-tape reason, it doesn't come into force until 2009. I have seen films & images and think if I looked at any more it will drive me insane. I would like a bomb dropped on any country involved in cat & dog fur or meat  >:(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:35:07 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was reading up on the whole cat fur trade I read that in Germany you can find cat coats quite easily

That has been said for many years.

apparently the Swiss believe that by wearing a cat pelt that will cure their rheumatism!

That also has been said for more years than I can remember but I have never heard Switzerland mentioned before only other countries in Europe. What actually used to be said was that it was bangles of cat pelt like we in this country wear the copper bangles.

I have never been to Germany ( and obviously don't plan doing so in order to save my mind from being broken

I go to Switzerland and Germany at least once every year for up to 3 weeks and have never seen any evidence whatsoever.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
When I was reading up on the whole cat fur trade I read that in Germany you can find cat coats quite easily. Is this true ? I have never been to Germany ( and obviously don't plan doing so in order to save my mind from being broken ).

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
The Swiss are to ban the cat fur trade
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:23:56 AM »
According to the the Telegraph online today, the Swiss are to ban the cat fur trade after France has complained over the missing of hundreds of domestic cats. Well I never new this was happening in a European civilised country so close to home. Apparently the Swiss believe that by wearing a cat pelt that will cure their rheumatism! To me the wearing of any animal coat in this day and age is sick.

Link to CatChat