Author Topic: Alfie's Story  (Read 3584 times)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Re: Alfie's Story
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 13:28:37 PM »
Somehow I missed out on all this amazing story, but I am so happy for Alfie now he has found a lovely comfy life, home, family and love that he so deserves.

My hats off to everyone who contributed in changing his life.  You guys have done a marvellous job!! ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 12:51:45 PM »
excellent news for Alfie!

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 01:51:54 AM »
oh what an absolute little darling!  :Luv:

poor poor little man for everything that happened to him previous, i'm so so pleased things are looking so bright in his future now  :Luv:  wonderful news  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 23:38:28 PM »
Aww, what a wonderful update, so pleased that there has been such a difference in this little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 19:56:34 PM »
Alfie has now been in Gail and Hannah's capable and loving hands for nearly two weeks. He was a very poorly boy when he arrived to them and was diagnosed with cat flu, which confirmed our suspicions. Along with his antibiotic treatment for his symptoms, he has been receiving what can only be described as intensive, tender loving care from Gail and Hannah. His eyes have been bathed daily, he has been groomed and his dirty back end and feet cleaned up. His appetite was poor when he first arrived with Gail and Hannah, but they tempted him with fish and chicken, which he loved. He has been wormed, treated for fleas and generally given a complete health MOT.

Two weeks later, Alfie is a changed little man, having responded brilliantly to all the love and care he has received. He is growing in confidence and this is reflected in the open affection he shows his foster Mums. His depression has lifted and he purrs and plays and interacts with his foster family. He is also eating well, with an ever increasing appetite. His coat is clean and he has started washing himself. He even has white feet again! Alfie's flu symptoms are much improved and have responded well to the antibiotics. His eyes are better than they were, but are still discharging a little, so he has some eye ointment for this. In another week, providing that he is continues to be well and the vet feels he is strong enough, he is going to be neutered, vaccinated and microchipped.

Heart felt thanks must go to Gail and Hannah who have given so much love and care to Alfie and who are responsible for turning a very poorly, depressed little Raggie, into a happy, affectionate, playful Raggie.Thank you, both of you, for everything.

When we first met Alfie and collected him to take him to his foster family, he looked like a Raggie who didn't care whether tomorrow came or not. He really looked like he had given up. The following photos show just how much he has changed since that day and what a little love and care can do. His recovery is testament to the work of the UKRCC, all its volunteers and all those who support us and enable to help Ragdolls like Alfie.

Well, Alfie goes from strength to strength. The flu is gone, with his chest and nose totally clear. He still has a small amount of clear discharge from his eyes, which we hope will cease, but it may always be a problem, due to the long term damage of the flu infection.

Alfie is eating very well and gaining weight, which is making him look even more handsome. He is playful and loving. Now he is healthy and strong, Alfie is to be neutered in the next few days and then he will continue his rehabilitation with the aim of getting him ready to go to an indoor home.

We have had an offer of a home for Alfie and a home assement is planned for later this week. If all is ok, then we shall be aiming ot have Alfie ready to go his forever home in the New Year. What a wonderful start to 2008 that will be for Alfie, the UKRCC and all involved in his rescue and care.

Thanks, as always to Gail and Hannah, who have done so much with Alfie.

Alfie has continued to progress and is a very happy, playful boy now, who is full of life. He has been neutered and is recovering well from his op.

The fantastic news is that we have found a fantastic home for Alfie and in the New Year he will be joining his new family. Thank you to Brenda and Brian for offering Alfie a chance of a proper home life, indoors, where he will be loved and cherished for the rest of his life. We all know how lucky he is to have found you and we are looking forward to the day when he can join you and become part of your family.

Alfie is recovering well from his neuter op. He was very anxious to make up for the meals he missed out on, while he wsa at the vets, so tucked into his tea when he got home. He is gaining weight and is much bulkier now.

Gail, his foster mum decided it was time to see how he coped indoors, so Alfie spent the evening with Gail in her living room. He was such a good boy. He was a little afraid of the TV to begin with, but after an explore he settled down and spent the evening snoozing on the sofa. Everyone involved in Alfie's rescue and rehabilitation are thrilled at bhis progress in Gail and Hannah's capable, caring hands and we are so pleased that he will soon be off to his new home.

He is a very popular little Ragdoll and his story has touched so many.
Heart felt thanks so all those who donated money towards Alfie's care x)and thank you to Teresa, who sent Alfie a gift of a blanket from the US. kiss

Alfie received a package from his new mum, Brenda, yesterday, containing balnkets and toys. Thank you Brenda. He may have been starved of love for the years he spent as a stud boy, but he is definitely making up for it now! lovecat

So as you can see Aflie is much much better and isn't it great that he has a new home lined up ;D

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 18:20:25 PM »
He is doing so so much better. If he gets even more better by next week he can even be done the vet says so thats brill news. I will keep you all updated also if you go to www.ukrcc.co.uk you can see his progress on there ;D

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:24:14 PM »
Cant get this fellow out of my head, hope he is well today  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 18:30:25 PM »
Registered doesnt necessarily mean reputable

Sadly not but it should as it gives people a false sense of security.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 17:33:21 PM »
A sad story shared by many stud toms, even those of registered breeders. Too smelly for the house  >:(

Alfie looks tons bettter in his 2nd pic  :Luv:

Registered doesnt necessarily mean reputable - reputable breeders don't keep their cats like that. Yes they normaly have stud quarters, but the ones I've seen have been like proper rooms, with all mod cons, heating, etc, with large outdoor enclosures. These cats are given time in the house too (and not all stud cats spray). No reputable breeder would keep their cat in the conditions that Alfie was in.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 15:55:13 PM »
A sad story shared by many stud toms, even those of registered breeders. Too smelly for the house  >:(

Alfie looks tons bettter in his 2nd pic  :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 15:17:19 PM »
Poor baby, reading his story made me so sad.

Thank heavens he's out of his previous 'home', and I truly hope he can now have the future he so deserves.

I'm so pleased he is in safe hands now  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 14:17:21 PM »
It breaks my heart to think that he'd spent all those years cooped up in a pen on cold concrete  :'(  So glad to hear he is going to get a better life now.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 08:00:23 AM »
What a sad story, I am so glad that he is safe and warm now, and has a home environment for life.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 00:24:56 AM »
It seems to be the way with cats that they are very forgiving. I think we have a lot to learn from them  :Luv:

How anyone could leave him on cold concrete for 10 years is beyond my imagination and shows that there are some truly cold, heartless people around. Even a £1 fleece could have made life more bearable  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 00:19:21 AM »
What a beautifull boy, :Luv: you think a breeder who made money out of him atleast will have the decency of providing some comfort and

care! >:(

Its really great that now he is with people who care and look after him :Luv:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 20:36:37 PM »
He is a hansome old man, thank goodness hes in safe loving hands now xx
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 20:26:23 PM »
Poor little boy  :'( Glad he's in good hands now and will live the rest of his life being treated the way he deserves.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 19:08:06 PM »
So lovely to hear Alfie is now being loved and cared for, as he deserves  :Luv:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 19:01:07 PM »
awwwwww, what a nice story :) and poor Alfie, at least He's in a Loving envoiroment now :Luv: :Luv2: :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Alfie's Story
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 18:52:31 PM »
Alfie is a 10 year old Raggie who for the past 10 years has lived his life as a stud cat, outside in a pen, on concrete. He did not belong to what we would consider a reputable breeder. He did not receive much love, if any and was used merely as a form of producing kitten after kitten to be sold cut price and unvaccinated. The breeder was retiring and selling on her breeding cats. Alfie being at the end of his 'stud career' was given away to another breeder, who hoped he would father some kittens for her too. This breeder had Alfie for just a few days and called us for our help, when she realised he was not really suitable as a stud boy and needed retiring. We agreed to help his new oner by finding along term foster home for Alfie, with a view to having him neutered, assessing him and rehabilitating him, with a hope of being able to home him as an indoor cat. We asked every question we would normally ask, about Alfie's health etc. and we were assured he was a healthy boy. We asked his new owner to arrange for him to be vet checked, for a thorough MOT and also to have him tested for FIV/FeLV and told them that the UKRCC would fund the full cost of this. In the mean time, with the help of Kelly, we arranged for a long term foster home for Alfie.

On Saturday, having been told that Alfie had tested negative for FIV/FeLV and that he had passed his health MOT with flying colours, Darren and I went to collect Alfie to take him to his foster family. Sadly, Darren and I are getting used to seeing neglected Raggies, but what we saw when we first set eyes on Alfie shocked us deeply. His eyes were producing a nasty discharge and his third eyelid was covering over 50% of both eyes. His nose was encrusted with what can only be described as 'snot' and he was extremely snuffly. His once white feet and legs were deeply stained with urine and he was covered in his own faeces. This was not just urine and faeces collected over the last few hours, this was a condition he had been in for many months, longer even. The overwhelming thing that struck both of us though was Alfie's whole demeanour. He looked the most depressed we had ever seen any cat, like a little man who had given up and did not care if he breathed another breathe or not. We put him into our carrier, onto cleaning bedding, with a heat pad underneath. He sank into the warmth of the vet bed like it was the warmest, most comfortable place he had ever sat.

He had a very long journey, three hours in total. He sat throughout padding his bedding, snuggled down and even then his spirit seemed to have lifted a little. He was snuffling and trying to purr and at times he cried at us. He had diarrhoea on the day we collected him, but he did not mess during the journey, bless his heart.

Alfie is now in Gail and Hannah's capable, loving hands. He has been receiving the long over due TLC he deserves. Gail has been using Olbas oil and Vick to help Alfie's snuffles and his nose is much clearer now. She has worked to gain his trust and he is becoming more brush friendly. His coat has been deodorised and his eyes and nose cleaned regularly. Gail tells me that his spirit continues to grow and that this morning he was full of beans and so excited to see her and Hannah. Already he is resonsding to the love and care being given to him. Alfie has a poor appetite, but is easily tempted to eat with chicken and fish. He is due to be vet checked and hopefully receive treatment for his current symptoms. Whatever treatmenthe needs to get well, the UKRCC will fund. Once he is strong enough, he will be neutered, microchipped and vaccinated and then he will begin the road to rehabilitation. He does tend to spraint in his bed and so he will need training to use a litter tray. Whether he will ever be ready to go inot an indoor home situation, only time will tell, but whatever Alfie's future holds, he will be loved and cared for. The UKRCC will support him in long term fostercare for as long as necessay...if that is for the rest of his life, then that is a commitment we shall make to this precious little man.

Thank you to Kelly for helping to find Alfie a safe foster home and thank you to Gail and Hannah, who did not hesitate to take on this little man, knowing it was for the long term and already have made such a difference to this little man.

Meet Alfie:

Here, having not long arrived at Gail's and before he had received any brushing etc.

And here, still with poorly eyes and nose, but with his coat already looking better.

www.ukrcc.co.uk

Link to CatChat