Author Topic: IS THIS REASON FOR NOT WANTING YOUR CAT?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: IS THIS REASON FOR NOT WANTING YOUR CAT?
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 14:35:49 PM »
Meant to add, but a good tiup the inspectors gave (as well as the vets now one) was that if you do manage to get the address of someone who seems to have kittens all the time, even though it may not be a welfare case for them a phone call to the local tax inspectors office sometimes has a good result ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 14:22:06 PM »
and the cat kept going out and getting pregnant. The cat was about 5 and had 5 litters or so. She

It was her cats fault it got pregnant I suppose. usually find that when we tell them about FIV quite a few then agree to have the little ones spayed.

said it was not usually a problem as she put an ad in the local shop and managed to sell them all (for a £5 - right!).

Another reason why it is necessary for pet shop not to sell animals. How many go to good homes I ask myself, I can tell muself the answer too.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 14:08:11 PM »
As you may (or not) know I have been helping out with a pet awareness week that the RSPCA have been holding in Willenhall, Coventry - one of their (and ours!) problem areas. They have been going door to door offering free micochipping and neutering vouchers. Judith and I were the friendlier non uniformed faces (well Coventry cat group T-shirts ) talking to people in the street.
First let me say, I know not everyone in Willenhall falls in that bracket, in fact 2 of mine are going to their new home there tonight with a lovely working couple in a nicer part (we did a reccy yesterday, home visit this evening)  and even some of those on the estate obviously care for their animals.

Anyway, yesterday Judith and I spent four hours there and one of the people we taked to was a teenage girl with three small children who approached us to say she had a cat and kittens she wanted to get rid of. The reason being she was busy with the kids, had a dog and the cat kept going out and getting pregnant. The cat was about 5 and had 5 litters or so. She said it was not usually a problem as she put an ad in the local shop and managed to sell them all (for a £5 - right!).
So she now wanted rid of mum cat - who she said was very fat and probaly heavily pregnant again and an 11 week old tortie kitten. She had another female kitten around 6 months who she wanted to keep - can't think why :censored:

Upshot is we gave her our phone number. She really wasn't interested in the free neutering at all.

Another lady who was diabled and walking with a stick said she had 2 border collies who she couldn't bring in to be chipped. We both felt quite sorry for her until she said she wasn't into the neutering as she was going to beed them both as they were pedigrees. We did give her details to the RSPCA who phoned to arrange to go round and chip so lets hope they can get her on something at the same time, I don't know much about BCs but I do believe they need a lot of exercise which she obviously can't give them.

Loads of staffys, all looking the same , people getting them chipped but neutering - oh no......

Left feeling really dispondant yesterday.

Anyway, the RSPCA are doing 7 of these things this year so it you fancy helping at one near you then do get in touch with them. I think it helps to have non RSPCA members there. Sadly, I had to ring up headquaters to get in touch with the local organiser. I think they are called pet awareness weeks. One of the chief inspectors was there on thursday so it was nice to have a talk to him.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 10:04:57 AM »
Why do a some think it's ok to throw them out and just abandon them

Unfortunately they are too easily available and some folks think them as a disposable commodity. Also I would say it is not just the moggies, so many pedigrees suffer the same fate.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 09:44:29 AM »
It's so so sad  :'( :'(

Why do a some think it's ok to throw them out and just abandon them  :'( My heart breaks for all these homeless babes.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »
Hope you have this babe now Ela.

I will when we have room, as I posted a few days ago we had calls to bring on just over 100 cats in 4 days and we already had a list oif cats waiting to come in. To be honest we have some on the list that are in my opinion far more urgent.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:28:29 AM »
Hope you have this babe now Ela.

He/she will have a ball with you and the new home you find for him/her.

can we have a pic please  :)

At least they called you, they didnt just thown him/her out.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:32:06 AM »
I hope the cat ends up in a better home this way round

It will as it is me who vets everyone.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:26:50 AM »
Of course it isn't true Mark, but sadly people dont want to put the effort in.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 08:25:28 AM »
I'm sure its not true anyway. It sounds like a young dog that could be trained if they put their mind to it. Talk about throwaway society - Poor cat  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »
So sad, I hate people who do that. I hope the cat ends up in a better home this way round.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
IS THIS REASON FOR NOT WANTING YOUR CAT?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:19:29 AM »
I  received a phone call last night about a cat needing to come in. I took down the details and then asked why can't you keep Porkier, we have a dog and it doesn't like the cat was the reply, I enquired how long have you had the dog and was informed 5 weeks, I then said that it was early days and perhaps things would improved and that I could give advise to help the situation. The cat has to go I was told. Now normally I don't say too much but in this case I could not contain myself, I said as sweetly as I could muster, if you have only had the dog 5 weeks and the cat 3 yrs, why does the cat have to go, the reply was I paid £1000 for the dog and it is going nowhere. To me, my moggies are worth more money than anyone can offer.

Link to CatChat