Author Topic: Fostering - Information please  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Re: Fostering - Information please
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »
Hi Caledonia. I agree with the others, fostering is a wonderful thing to do. Just be sure to tell the rescue your full situation (i.e. potential move, indoors, working). It won't be a problem but it helps them to match the right cat with you.

Make sure you get a clear outline on terms and conditions. I know it sounds really paranoid but you need to check that vet arrangements and things like special diets are sorted before having to face the situation.

I'm sure that there are many rescues locally that'll appreciate your help and, if they haven't got a CatChat page, you could offer to do one for them. It's really easy and doesn't take long at all. The page I do has had phenomenal success, far more than I could've imagined.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:14:14 AM »
I know how she feels. they are just so loving and so trusting. My 2 Raggles and Herbie follow me around like lost puppies and my red called raggles has to sleep round my head on my pillow.So adorable. My birman Teddy well he is so clever opens doors,draws,cupboards and even the fridge so everything has to be locked or have child locks on lol. He also steals socks and underwear and throws them in the air a few times and always when he has finished playing with them he will dump them in his water bowl. Astra my ginger and white tabby moggie is trying to copy everything he does at the moment so I better watch out.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 21:40:56 PM »
Oh she got Muffy - big gorgeous boy that he is. He has grey colourings - not sure if that is a grey point or lilac point. He is lovely - was about 7 when she got him and he joined Bono her seal point ragdoll she had from a kitten. They didn't hit it off straight away but now are the best of buddies - she is daft on them!!  :Luv:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 22:13:54 PM »
Oh what was the ragdolls name that your friend got? ;D

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 18:47:57 PM »
Thanks for the information everyone. Will have a look at my local ones - although I don't know if it is because of success or busyness but the Edinburgh shelters don't have a lot of web information or information on Cat Chat other than their basics. There is a West lothian shelter but they seem to stipulate you live there! Will get in touch anyway.

Thanks for the information on Rag dolls Kelly - my friend actually got her second rag doll through UKRCC and uses the forums on their a lot - she is Ragdoll daft !! lol!! Will have a wee look at that too - seems a shame to have all this space and cat adoration going to waste!

Will keep you posted

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
Aww bless you. I foster for the UKRCC and all our cats are indoor cats so someone like you would be perfect for us.If you are interested go onto our website www.ukrcc.co.uk .As we take in raggies from all over the uk and home them all over the uk we are always looking for other volunteers like myself to foster,do home checks,transport from homes and to their new homes etc. ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 09:15:46 AM »
Aww, bless you for thinking of fostering due to your circumstances, do get in touch with local rescues, as not all rely on foster homes. Having only indoor access isn't an issue, it is nicer for them to be indoors than an outdoor pen, and most fosters have to be kept indoors till a home is found. Working isn't an issue either, I work full time, and know quite a few rescue people who work either full or part time, as long as you can find the time for them, it isn't an issue (I rarely do things in the evening to give them time). The main thing is being able to give them the love and attention they deserve, while being able to let them go when a home is found.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:22:30 AM »
Caledonia

I'm sorry about your loss.  :hug:

Well done for having this thought about fostering. They are like gold dust!  :wow:

Rescues round here will tell you that people prepared and able to keep foster cats inside are the rarest and most sought after. Often, cats that come in to rescue are much better off with the comfort of the indoors and it would be tought of them being in an outside pen. And don't worry about working. Many fosterers work and are very successful with the cats. After all, when they are rehomed into a normal family, many pusses do have to get used to being left for at least part or all of the working week.

Good luck and do let us know how you go.  ;)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 22:35:13 PM »
Hi Caledonia

Visit Catchat www.catchat.org to see which rescues are located in your area and then contact them and see what happens.

Well done you for thinking far enough ahead about this. I am sure a good number of fosters will be throroughly loved whilst in your care.  :hug:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Fostering - Information please
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 22:33:18 PM »
Hello all,

I was just wondering if someone could give me some information on Fostering Rescue cats waiting for forever homes. I lost my wee kitty just before Christmas and had been toying with the idea of getting a new cat. However there are numerous personal circumstances that mean there is going to be big changes in my life which could result in re-locating overseas next year. So for once I am thinking with my head and not my heart and putting off taking on a permanent fluff ball until I know for sure where i am going to be. However I realise next year is a long way off and have heard a bit about fostering and it may be something I could do in the meantime - especially given I have no other cats that would get stressed out.

It may be I am not suitable but any information would be greatly appreciated - I work Mon- Thus so may not be suitable. I also don't have outdoor access ( my wee man was an indoor Balinese) however I do have a lot of love for cats and all the equipment from my wee man - so thought I would find out a wee bit more.

Thank you everyone :thanks:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat