Author Topic: Poppy needing a loving home in Yorkshire. Advice needed!!  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Poppy needing a loving home in Yorkshire. Advice needed!!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 20:12:49 PM »
I wonder what happened with Poppy?

She is gorgeous - if only.........
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 20:49:12 PM »
Dan - our cat Cheese used to be a bt unpredictable like that - she used to launch on me and bite me or scratch me and/or our guests.

When we moved house we got her a companion, our tortoiseshell Gerti and she seemed to calm down alot. She also calmed down after being spayed but I am guessing Poppy already is.

I know its unlikely to be exactly the same but Cheese is a completely different cat now and is nothing like she used to be  ;D
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 20:16:30 PM »
Vicky Halls is Kent based (just found out she is local to me - in Canterbury!)

There is an association of behaviourists  - http://www.apbc.org.uk/regions.php - hopefully they will be able to guide you. I'm sure after a talk on the phone, a reputatable one wouldn't advise a visit unless they thought they could help.

Adding to Gill's post, most pet insurance will pay for a behaviourist if referred by a vet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 20:18:38 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 20:11:08 PM »
I dont know how near to sheffield you are But Wizz is in Sheffield

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/

Vets are supposed to refer you to behaviorists and someone on Purrs has had one visit fairly recently and was given very useful advice.

I would try a behaviourist especially if you have insurance and your vet is wrong they can be a lot of help.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 19:57:03 PM »
I have spoken now to both the local Huddersfield RSPCA and also the Cats Protection League in Dewsbury - their attitude is that aggressive / unpredictable cats are the hardest ones to rehome and she would end up at the bottom of a very long list of cats needing good homes
Sadly that is often the way but on the other hand it would be safer for her compared to being homed through an ad and possibly given away again.

Milly's Mum - is there anyone you could recommend?  We have discussed behaviouralists with our vet before and their attitude was that it was of very limited benefit with cats - they recommended feliway etc, which we have already tried.
Iv not had need to use one yet, theres the wellknown people such as Vicky Halls.
Normal way is to get your vet to refer you, they cant refuse after all! Its a negative opinion they hold but iv heard different!

Offline dkorosi

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 19:45:39 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys!  

I have spoken now to both the local Huddersfield RSPCA and also the Cats Protection League in Dewsbury - their attitude is that aggressive / unpredictable cats are the hardest ones to rehome and she would end up at the bottom of a very long list of cats needing good homes.   :scared:

Milly's Mum - is there anyone you could recommend?  We have discussed behaviouralists with our vet before and their attitude was that it was of very limited benefit with cats - they recommended feliway etc, which we have already tried.

I am sure that alot of people have strong views about rehoming cats as a knee jerk reaction to pregnancy, however I can assure you that as responsible pet owners we have not come to this decision lightly.  Unfortunately Poppy is an aggressive and unpredictable animal at times - she has inflicted totally unprovoked bites and scratches to adults, and who knows how she would react to a baby or toddler - we understandably do not want to test any theories out with our child.  Whereas a normal cat's reaction when feeling threatened is to run away, Poppy's is to attack, which doesn't help the situation.

Having said all this, she can and is affectionate to people that she knows and trusts, and has been a wonderful companion to me over the years.  

I hope this helps people to understand why we need to take this course of action.

If anyone can help, or knows someone that can give her a home I would be greatful.  I am also going to speak with our local vet (as advised by CPL) about anyone locally that might be able to take her on.

Thanks,

Dan

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 19:10:43 PM »
 :welcome:

If you really have to rehome then please please use a rescue for the reasons mark gave.

If it were me i would get a behaviourist in to help change things before baby arrives, they can come up with some amazing ideas to help everyone in the family get along   ;D

Please keep up updated!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 18:47:44 PM »
I honestly can't think of any other advice than you've given, Mark.

What a sad situation. Are you absolutely SURE that Poppy would be aggressive towards your baby, Dan?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 17:32:44 PM »
Can anyone add anything to this to help the gorgeous Poppy?  ;D

I know a lot of people have strong views on cats being rehomed due to pregnancy but we need to think of Poppy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 17:34:32 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:02:18 AM »
Your local branch of Cats Protection could try direct rehoming. As there is quite a bit of time, it would save her from having to go into a cattery. There are also other rescues you could try. There is a list on http://www.catchat.org I would avoid any "freead" websites as they can very very dodgy. rehoming through a rescue is the only way to go as they will homecheck any potential people. She is gorgeous.

Here's the link to Yorkshire rescues
http://www.catchat.org/topcats/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=79&MMN_position=74:74
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:09:03 AM by Mark »

Offline dkorosi

• Kitten
Poppy needing a loving home in Yorkshire. Advice needed!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:41:38 AM »
Hi Everybody,

My wife and I have a real dilemma on our hands and I would be really greatful for your advice.  Our cat (Poppy - pictured) is about 6.5 years old and has always been very unpredictable - she is fine and very loving / cuddly with me and my wife for about 95% of the time, but can be very agressive without warning.  She is also very fearful of other cats and new people (particularly babies / young children), and instead of running away, tends to confront / attack them!  Obviously, we have accepted Poppy in to our lives "warts and all" and love her very much.

The problem is that my wife is pregnant, and with the best will in the world we cannot risk having Poppy in the same house as a baby.  Poppy's only access to the back garden is through a cat flap in the living room french windows, so it is not practical to try and keep her away from the baby.  Equally, we have also tried using feliway to calm her down to no effect.  So, as much as it will break our hearts, we are now commited to re-homing Poppy as soon as possible - in any event by the end of March when our baby is due.

We really want Poppy to find a new home where she will continue to be happy, but she does need someone who is prepared to put the work in to gain her trust - she is a very affectionate cat once she trusts someone.  Obviously, we are also looking for someone who either doesn't have any other cats or has plenty of room for them, and does not have young children. 

Does such a person exists?!  Can you think of any other options we could consider for Poppy?

Thankyou

Dan and Rachel

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat