Author Topic: who maunfactures kittening pens now shaws don't?  (Read 4143 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: who maunfactures kittening pens now shaws don't?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 19:30:41 PM »
In some instances we have to use the regular dog pens but we use cable ties to secure cardboard around the bottom of the pen where young kittens may pop their heads through and or get stuck.  We also put extra padding using beddding round the edges to doubly make sure.  We have used it very often without incidence.

Basically it forms a barrier the kittens can't get out of, can be easily changed as needed and still lets mum out whilst stopping kittens.  It works as a temporary measure anyways.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 19:17:41 PM »
You need to speak to Diddy Dawn, she has just bought some, I think it was MDC
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 18:42:38 PM »
Hmm, i wonder why they are disappearing   :shify: :shify: :shify:

http://www.purrsonaltouch.com/pens.htm
This site has a top opening but the doors look teeny for cleaning. I wish the removable tray was all that needed cleaning. They obviously dont have kittens who stand in their food and poo and then wipe it over the bars   :tired:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 17:54:50 PM »
thanks mm - am looking now

don't seem to have the top loading ones there.

I quite like my indoor rabbit cage except it doesn't fold down - it has a nice top opening - in fact its better than the standard shaw on 'cos i found that after about 4 - 5 weeks the kittens seemed to have mastered climbing up to get out while with the rabbit one you have to jump through it (or do some roof walking first) - it also seems to be a better size as its narrower and linger so fits the tray better - you don't get the dead space you seem to have by the tray.

Will keep them in mind as our chairwoman wants to treat the group with a couple of new ones - and I know shes a fan of the old shaw ones!
Any suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 18:01:53 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 17:28:59 PM »
I bought my dog crate from canine kennels and they had kitten pens, i also saw them on MDCs website and also Metalcote (probably cheapest!) , if you cant find any of these sites i'l rummage through my favourites for them  ;D

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
who maunfactures kittening pens now shaws don't?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 17:22:59 PM »
I think this has been mentioned before but can't find it.
Shaws used to sell the nice plastic coated pens with the top opening that kept young kittens in and allow mums out.
They were also more convenient for cleaning and , of course , folded easily for storage.

Is there another manufacturer that makes similar pens that don't cost the earth?
I know large dog crates are as good but there is some concern that the mesh size is too large and could be of danger to small heads. I've only manged to find the penthouse pens via a search and they look quite large and are expensive!

Link to CatChat