Author Topic: Izabella & Freya ex Paws Inn  (Read 8244 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Izabella & Freya ex Paws Inn
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 19:22:10 PM »
Hi Pepecat, welcome to Purrs and congratulations on earning one of T's wonderful kitties. I think as Desley says that providing hiding places is a good option - if she knows she has a safe haven in close proximity that will make her feel more secure. Also, rather than approaching her, how about sitting on the floor (in a comfy spot) with a good book near her and waiting for her to come to you. She will initially venture over for the odd sniff, which you could let her do without trying to respond. Also try to avoid looking directly at her -that is cat language for 'I am about to take your lungs out' so not a nice message to be sending accidentally. Let her come to you and she will settle in more quickly than if you try to speed up the process. Best of luck with her. I adopted an 19 month old ebony oriental who did not come out from under the furniture for three weeks. But when she finally did it was no time before she was snuggled up on the bed with me. Each cat has its own rhythm, that is all.  :hug:

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 19:17:30 PM »
I think that is normal for a nervous adult, i would just provide plenty of hiding places and let her figure things out in her own time.
Thanks for that, there are no out of bounds for them (except when we open any external doors) and there are plenty of hiding places, she is getting there.
Thanks again
Jim

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 19:14:04 PM »
I think that is normal for a nervous adult, i would just provide plenty of hiding places and let her figure things out in her own time.
Please spay your cat

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
Izabella & Freya ex Paws Inn
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 19:05:56 PM »
A great thank you to Teresa for her work at Paws Inn. We adopted Izabella + Freya on New Years day and I have seen Teresa's posting about this and another reply asking for info on progress. Izabella is very very unsure of us humans and it will take time for her to adjust although we have seen improvements in her and her eating since Saturday. She spends most of the time on one of the dining chairs which is pushed under the table, Teresa thinks, and we agree, that it will take time for her to adjust after having spent so much time in a pen. Since Saturday I have moved the chairs from under the table and she has ventured around the lounge but still very unsure, she panics and takes refuge at the slightest movement or noise. Sometimes I have spent about 2 - 3 hours just going over to her slowly to let her smell my hand then moving away, then after about an hour of this I have managed to just touch her head, then a quick stroke. Then a few hours later she is in panic mode again. We have had no experience of adopting an adult cat so any suggestions would be very welcome, but like I say she is improving slowly and comes to her dish without fear when we are chopping her food from the pouch.
Freya on the other hand is a typical kitten, we have a through lounge and have left the rear dining area to the cats, Freya can cover the 22ft from one end to the other whilst dribbling a ball in about 2 seconds, and what ball control (may have to rename her Georgie after Georgie Best)
Will update on further progress earliest.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 19:08:28 PM by pepecat »

Link to CatChat