Author Topic: Izabella & Freya ex Paws Inn  (Read 8243 times)

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
Re: Izabella & Freya ex Paws Inn
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2008, 02:22:55 AM »
Oh thats good, I do hope he is homed soon, he deserves that, keep us informed.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2008, 21:05:56 PM »
Yes Izabella loves her tummy. No rush for vets they`ve had all their vaccinations and you have a little while before Freya is old enough for spay. Feel sure they will be settled soon.
By the way Pumkin is feeling a little happier lately.

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 20:54:40 PM »
Jim
Knowing Izabella and Freya so well I know you have done the right thing for them.
Thanks, I know they are happier downstairs, Ethel gave Izabella a small tin of tuna last night, that really suited her, she now follows Ethel into the kitchen all the time expecting more.
They are settling more but will wait another week or so before visiting the vets. Meantime we will call in to register them.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 20:49:01 PM »
Jim
Knowing Izabella and Freya so well I know you have done the right thing for them.

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008, 20:43:14 PM »
My birmans live in my bedroom........most of time and Sasa has now taken over the bathroom, by the radiator cos she is scared of Franta birman!

I knew when I cought him with his paws and nose in her fur it was not good news and she has been running away from the sight of him ever since.......sigh.

I think cats sometimes want to be away from people but then of course some want to be with them too.......sigh.

My cats have the run of the house except my studio cos i want it as fur free as possible.  :rofl: :rofl:
I agree with what you say, ours also have run of the house with plenty of hiding places, it was just that we were not happy with them isolating themselves totally under the bed in the spare room and then appearing more nervous there when they are improving better out of the bedroom.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 20:40:42 PM »
Mine prefer my company most of the time, but occasionally want some time alone - so they take themselves off upstairs and find a quiet spot. The dog does to, but his quiet spot usually entails looking deeply embarrassed when I find him on the bed (where he is only allowed by invitation!!)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 20:36:54 PM »
My birmans live in my bedroom........most of time and Sasa has now taken over the bathroom, by the radiator cos she is scared of Franta birman!

I knew when I cought him with his paws and nose in her fur it was not good news and she has been running away from the sight of him ever since.......sigh.

I think cats sometimes want to be away from people but then of course some want to be with them too.......sigh.

My cats have the run of the house except my studio cos i want it as fur free as possible.  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 20:31:45 PM »
They are both still downstairs and quite happy now, mother still a bit nervous but we see an improvement every day. We are still of the opinion that they are better out of the spare room which we have locked. They are improving while downstairs, we had noticed a downturn in their happiness for the 2 days we let them use the spare bedroom. The mother stayed in the bedroom (under the bed) all day while the little one only came down twice for food and was very nervous when doing this.
Thanks for everyones views but we felt with these 2 that they were not getting any better hiding in the bedroom and their improvements these last 2 days bear this out. We only have 1 spare bedroom and if they settled too long it would be more of an upset when our son stays here next time in having to evict them once they had claimed the room as theirs on a longer term basis.
Don't forget they have the rest of the house (including our bedroom) to roam and settle if they wished.

Thanks to all
Jim

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »
As long as the door is open for them, and you spend time in there with them, there shouldnt be a problem. Molly practically lives in my bedroom, and she has been here just over 2 years now - Pebbles was the same though, as long as they are happy, I dont mind (although it took time to get used to having a tray, food and water in my room).
Please spay your cat

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 19:24:39 PM »
When we first adopted our boys, we let them have the spare room as their little base - their food, water and beds were left in there so they had somewhere to feel secure. We sat with them up there for hours at a time, just talking, letting them get used to the monotonous drone of our voices. Within a couple of days, they ventured out of their room and downstairs of their own accord, then scuttled back in again when they'd had enough.

This carried on for a couple more days, each little foray into the hooman world was longer and longer, until when they seemed comfortable enough we fetched their food and beds downstairs. That was it, they were fine all around the house then.

From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 18:28:04 PM »
They came out this morning when dishes were rattled so we have made the spare bedroom of bounds again, they seem to be OK downstairs again and they have enough places to hide if required, also the rest of the house is open to them.
Problem was while in the spare bedroom (all day yesterday) the little one who came down the odd time was more of a scardy cat than she was before, which I thought was a backward step.
At least she is back to normal and we can approach her again, yesterday she almost climbed the wall if she saw someone let alone try to touch her. Also tonight the mother is more approachable, back to how she was before squatting in the bedroom.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 18:28:51 PM by pepecat »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 22:47:17 PM »
Thats great Pepe, I am sure they will come round when they feel safe and now they have a safe place to rush back too  :hug:

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 22:38:32 PM »
OK I think all you guys are right, the spare bedroom is back in bounds for them. Was just worried that they may take up permanent residence under the bed and we would not see them again, anyway see how it goes.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 21:54:30 PM »
I agree with you Gill,they are in the bedroom cos may be its quiet there and they feel safe, i think they have to move in to other parts of your place in  their own time.

It took phoebe six months  to leave the bedroom and come down stairs, they are all different but is best to give them time and space.   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 20:53:47 PM »
I would leave them where they are happiest and I do not think that eveiction by any method is the way of them trusting you.

They need a place to feel safe and hide and if you keep moving them from every place they find they are just going to be confused.

They have only just arrived and no doubt feeling very scared.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 20:30:03 PM »
My advice is leave them be ours spend more time on or in the bed than we do!

Last night me Robin and 14 purrballs shared our super kingsize bed and electric blankets as it was minus 6 up here last night!

The rest were throughout the house and this morning I find 5 in the 2 dogs beds, Jazz on teh couch and Sky upside down in his crate - me thinks he gets the best nights sleep after we lock the crate door unless some of the ferals are asleep om the blanket on top of his crate!!!! :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 20:19:45 PM »
Food didn't work but the hoover did, evil or what  :evillaugh:
Well and truly evicted, may have set us back a day but better than having 2 cats that just live in the spare bedroom all the time. :notme:

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 20:00:53 PM »
Being the heartless person I am Jim,I would evict them and lock the door :rofl:
I think you are right Teresa, they are in the spare bedroom under the bed and have only been down once today, and have eaten very little. Will coax them out to the landing with Whiskas shortly then evict.
Jim

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 19:39:52 PM »
unless you are fundamentally opposed to having a cat in your bedroom, I suggest you just get used to it!  :rofl: They are very useful as hotwater bottles, and if you can just persuade them to lie tucked into your tummy then they seem to fit into you, whichever way you toss and turn during the night! ;D

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 19:16:39 PM »
Being the heartless person I am Jim,I would evict them and lock the door :rofl:

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 18:38:13 PM »
Thanks for that Mark.
Will look at that, we do have an Ikea at Warrington (5 miles) but will look at the ebay one as well, meanwhile our 2 have now found their way to the bedroom and are spending all day there, don't know wether to lock the bedroom door next time they are out or just leave them to it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
I agree that a cardboard box is a good refuge. but a bit ugly to have in your living room. Kylie had one when I got her. By day 3, she found her own way to the bedroom but it was somewhere she felt safe in the meantime  :Luv2:  If you don't live near or don't want to go to Ikea, you can get them on Ebay - you pay over the odds but worth it to save the hassle. They are virtually indestructible so worth it. You'll need to put a pad or towel in the bottom though as it is just nylon  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IKEA-blue-cat-bed-tent-with-ears-whiskers-tail-NEW_W0QQitemZ290196555459QQihZ019QQcategoryZ66762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a red one on there too!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:25:03 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 22:22:21 PM »
Thanks Carl, it's nice that everyone makes us feel welcome  :thanks:
Cheers Jim

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 18:15:14 PM »
Congratulations on the new furry family Jim. I have two ex-Paws Inn residents here (Bilbo and Baggins) and can vouch for the standard of a Paws Inn moggy  :)

My boys were both extremely timid at first, but with time, beef, time, trout, time, turkey, and a bit more time, they came round to trusting us. Now they're the most lovable furrballs you could want.

From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 23:44:58 PM »
Cheers for that Jim, and I will do  ;)

PS I quickly edited your last post to remove your email address (being visible on the public forum), but have saved it so will be in touch this week for some more  ;D

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 22:53:16 PM »
Jim congratulations on your adoptions. Speaking from experience (and bias of course :naughty: Paws Inn produces the most wonderful, characterful (is that a word?) :rofl: cats I have ever met. My "niece" Pippa is one of them and she's VERY well behaved :evillaugh:

Seriously though. My Lexy was similar to Izabella and I just gave her space. The one thing I did do was as BC mentioned. I sat nearby and watched TV quietly and eventually Lexy came to me. And as T can atest Lexy is a bit lively now :naughty:

With your permission Jim may I use these photos on the Paws Inn website as a success story pls?

All the best
Ruth
Of course, we would be very pleased with that, if you need any more photos please email me
Jim
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 23:44:07 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 21:19:49 PM »
Jim congratulations on your adoptions. Speaking from experience (and bias of course :naughty: Paws Inn produces the most wonderful, characterful (is that a word?) :rofl: cats I have ever met. My "niece" Pippa is one of them and she's VERY well behaved :evillaugh:

Seriously though. My Lexy was similar to Izabella and I just gave her space. The one thing I did do was as BC mentioned. I sat nearby and watched TV quietly and eventually Lexy came to me. And as T can atest Lexy is a bit lively now :naughty:

With your permission Jim may I use these photos on the Paws Inn website as a success story pls?

All the best
Ruth

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 20:13:46 PM »
Jim as long as it is Whiskas in jelly she ate what was given,my eyesight is too poor to see the flavours  :) she does enjoy her Royal Canin too and really loves roast chicken.
Cheers,
Just had a rocket from Ethel for not mentioning her name or Laura's (grandaughter) on their efforts in settling the girls.
There I've done it now so may get supper.
Pic of girls helping with Xmas tree last night, Freya exhausted after eating box and part of tree as Izabella looks at her with disgust

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 20:19:12 PM by pepecat »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 20:01:58 PM »
the tent can of course, be put to many uses once they have sorted themselves out a bit - here is Smidgen's approach - but I expect T has taught your babes better manners ... Just click on the pic and it will be a movie - excuse the mess in the house - I had recently moved in ...

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 20:18:36 PM by blackcat »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 19:55:27 PM »
Jim as long as it is Whiskas in jelly she ate what was given,my eyesight is too poor to see the flavours  :) she does enjoy her Royal Canin too and really loves roast chicken.

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 19:51:03 PM »
Hi Jim
Great to see pics of the girls looking so well.

The Da Bird toys are available from the Purrs shop however I think the little Laser pens are much better; funnily enough the Da Bird I bought was rehomed with Izabellas older kittens Larry and Rory.
The way to Izabellas heart has always been through her tummy. :)
Hi Teresa nice to hear from you, yes they are fine, did she eat any flavour of whiskas, seems she's not to keen on the non fishy ones, Freya eats anything that does not move.
Jim

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 19:48:31 PM »
Found it thanks.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 19:45:36 PM »
Hi Jim
Great to see pics of the girls looking so well.

The Da Bird toys are available from the Purrs shop however I think the little Laser pens are much better; funnily enough the Da Bird I bought was rehomed with Izabellas older kittens Larry and Rory.
The way to Izabellas heart has always been through her tummy. :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 19:42:42 PM »
da bird can be bought in the shop which is a little button at the top above where you seee the posts and is on far right.

The IKEA tent wasnt sold by Tan but another memebrt went and bought IKEAS stock of them at her local but if you have an IKEA near it maybe worth asking if they have any, mine love their tent  ;D

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 19:39:16 PM »
Shame Desley - and we all thought you were a good meowmy!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Can you still get these, I see Tan was selling them last year.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 19:34:51 PM »
Shame Desley - and we all thought you were a good meowmy!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 19:33:00 PM »
My cats dont have an Ikea tent, although we do have Da Bird  - although Molly never sees it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 19:31:41 PM »
lol to Freya!!! You need to invest in the must-have cat furniture accessory, the Ikea tent - every cat on this site has one as far as I can tell. Once they come out and start to get playful - you have to buy the must-have cat toy accessory - Da Bird!! Just do a search on the forum for Da Bird and you will see why! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline pepecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 19:29:19 PM »
I think you have to just let her do her own thing slowly as you are and it may help to try and feed her from your hand, just on an odd occasion so she assocoaites you with something nice.

Like Des says she needs places to hide and feel safe, so a nice cardboard bos with a blanket it it in a corner somewhere would do.

I think if you have already managed to stroke her then she will be fine  ;D

keep us up to date and if she doesnt progress we will try and help.
Thanks Gill and Blackcat.
They do have 2 boxes with closed tops and blankets inside (will invest in the real thing once I'm sure they will use them long term) Izabella has explored the boxes a few times while Freya tries to eat them.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 19:24:48 PM »
I think you have to just let her do her own thing slowly as you are and it may help to try and feed her from your hand, just on an odd occasion so she assocoaites you with something nice.

Like Des says she needs places to hide and feel safe, so a nice cardboard bos with a blanket it it in a corner somewhere would do.

I think if you have already managed to stroke her then she will be fine  ;D

keep us up to date and if she doesnt progress we will try and help.

Link to CatChat