Author Topic: Possible new foster  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Possible new foster
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 07:34:30 AM »
Felix went to his new home today, and has been renamed Garfield. Some of you may have seen that one of my former fosters died on Saturday, well, they have opened their heart up to this lovely man, I am very pleased, they are wonderful people, and wonderful wtih cats (they fussed everyone and played with Rolo). I have already had an update on him!!

Hi Desley,
Thankyou so much for today it's helped alot, we know that garfield will never really replace Jet she will always have a special place in our heart - we plan to plant a catnip plant in the garden in her memory which i'm sure garfield will enjoy.

We got him home without too much trouble though he did manage to reach his paw far enough through the carrier bars my leg got his claws a few times but i guess he wanted some comfort as i could stroke his paws without incident. he did pee in the carrier but no sickness or panting just comforting fuss through the bars.

at the moment he has somehow managed to find refuge under our bookcase - it can't be comfy underthere it's about 3 inches in height so i hope it's only short term.

we will keep in touch in regards to his progress

thanks again
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 13:53:37 PM »
Well, he is getting braver now, bless him. Still hates being picked up, and wary of you kissing his head, even though he adores fusses and just flops by you and shows you his belly!! If he is on the windowsill when I go in, he jumps down and goes in the den, so I suspect he might have turned feral if the lady hadn't contacted us. Still no sign of an owner, 6 days later.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 10:45:33 AM »
Thanks Pav - bit fussy with eating, I think he is still rather wary in case I try and do anything else nasty to him!!
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 01:20:52 AM »
I have just seen this, he is lovely. :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 20:59:02 PM »
Well, the garden centre and the two local CP branches have all been contacted -  no lost gingers reported so far, the Yorkshire CP said it sounds like he has been dumped. So, couple of weeks, then we shall have to see if we can find him a good home.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 13:59:50 PM »
Well, the lady feeding him told me he was, I felt between his legs as I couldnt check any other way, and was sure he was neutered, but the vet did check last night, and yes, he is neutered. I have dropped Sue at MyMoggy a line, so will keep him for 2-3 weeks to see if someone comes forward, then look at rehoming him. He has been sick today, and there was some odd spaghetti like stuf in it, so assume that is worms due to being Strongholded.
What has tickled me is that every vet and rescue I have spoken to today have asked if he was chipped - surely if he had a chip, I woudlnt be ringing vets, as I would have been able to trace an owner?
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 13:45:27 PM »
Des, have you checked to see if he is neutered or just assuming cos there's no smell?  When I first caught Tiger I didn't really know much about cats, he was my first feral and listening to my mate, she told me she thought he was pregnant  :-[  After a couple of weeks and no weight gain, I took him to the vets and it appeared he was a little boy  :Luv2:  He is gorgeous and I hope you manage to get him sorted  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 13:40:41 PM »
WEll, he will be on the National RSPCA database at some point today, and registered with the local vets - not managed to get hold of CP yet, my branch only answer the phone between 6 and 7.30 and dont have an answerphone, and the one that deals with the other side of the border (i am 10 mins away from teh Yorkshire border, and he turned up not very far from it) isn't manned, so have left a message there, and when I spoke to the vets in that area, they said they do return calls within 24 hours. Just Sue at Mymoggy now, can't think of anywhere else.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 22:48:21 PM »
It is always something I think about when someone rings up about a stray, and they do get questioned a lot before I will agree to take them in, and also checked for a chip (normally before I agree to take them, but not much choice on New Years Eve!!). Sadly this little one doens't have a chip, although he does have fleas!! Defo neutered, so tomorrows task is ringing round rescues and vets and hoping he has been reported lost. He will be kept for 2-3 weeks to see if he is reported before being put on the rehoming page. I spoke to the lady who was feeding him, and she was goign through again all the people she has already asked, and there was an empty house, the lady who lived there did have 5 cats but her neighbour is sure that she took them all with her, and that there wasn't a ginger - he wasn't seen before they moved out though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 12:59:31 PM »
Michelle, I should have also added in reply to your comment that Ginger taught me not to dismiss healthy cats as strays - he was overweight, neutered and very friendly, yet had lived on the streets for 3 years, he was one that had kept his good nature to win people round, rather than turn feral.
HE has eaten his wet overnight, and has come out for more of a fuss this morning, so tried to have a proper look under his tail, and he hates being held, he went bonkers on me for trying to turn him round to have a proper look so I suspect I will need my sis to help get him in the carrier this afternoon!!

I know what you are saying , i wasnt being funny with my question. I am sure that this boy is prob a stary.

I do just worry sometimes that cats are believed to be a stray when they are not. I remember a few years ago my Mums neighbour told her that she had called the RSPCA as a stray cat had turned up at her house. The neighbour said he was really thin and not looked after so she had made the phone call for someone to come and get him.
It turns out the reason the cat was thin was because he was 17yrs old and actually belonged to an old lady down the road who couldnt get out much.................I wont tell you what happened to the cat, i am sure you can guess ?!!!!  :censored:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 10:58:58 AM »
Michelle, I should have also added in reply to your comment that Ginger taught me not to dismiss healthy cats as strays - he was overweight, neutered and very friendly, yet had lived on the streets for 3 years, he was one that had kept his good nature to win people round, rather than turn feral.
HE has eaten his wet overnight, and has come out for more of a fuss this morning, so tried to have a proper look under his tail, and he hates being held, he went bonkers on me for trying to turn him round to have a proper look so I suspect I will need my sis to help get him in the carrier this afternoon!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 00:24:27 AM »
I have to say, as a postlady I didnt really meet many people - unless they were really eagerly awaiting a package or something  :evillaugh: but if there is a regular postie on the route he/she may be able to help as they may have seen him knocking about before.

I used to get told to stop "being Dr Doolittle" and get on with the posting as I used to pet all the cats/dogs I would see on my rounds  :rofl:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 23:03:56 PM »
I know, I should make a note of that. The lady who has been feeding him used to do rescue work, so she does know some of the basics and has deliberately left it rather than just immediately assuming. HE could have been there longer though, as she always leaves scraps outside.
He has a round face, but it is all fur. NEver come across a cat with such thick fur that is obviously a shorthair before. The fact he has weed and no smell is very promising!!
Please spay your cat

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 23:00:56 PM »
she even thought of asking the postman to ask around, which is something I would never think of!! The only thing she hadn't been able to do was get him checked due to the time of year, but I have an app at the vets tomorrow anyway, so taking him along.

What a good idea.

Looking at his pics again he does look as if he has that "rounded large face" of an UN-neutered cat but as you have said i am sure she would have SMELT  :sick: him by now  :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 22:41:14 PM »
HAven't been able to find them yet MM, he keeps either hiding in the den or putting his tail in the way, rather a cute habit, I have to say!! He has weed and doesn't smell though, so promising!! He has eaten some dry food now.
Michelle, she has been feeding him since a week before Christmas while asking around rather than just assuming he is a stray, she even thought of asking the postman to ask around, which is something I would never think of!! The only thing she hadn't been able to do was get him checked due to the time of year, but I have an app at the vets tomorrow anyway, so taking him along.
Please spay your cat

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 22:36:11 PM »
What makes this women think he is a stray ?

Especially if he is neutered and friendly

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 20:15:54 PM »
Hes lovely  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: I have a soft spot for gingers  :Luv2:

You can check his status by giving his package a little squeeze  :evillaugh: if its empty hes done, if not you'll feel peas in there  ;D When George first arrived here he didnt smell like a tom cat but was definately entire

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 19:06:14 PM »
Crikey I had to go and check my Bobby hadn't escaped to Manchester then! He's lovely Des, hope the vets find a chip tomorrow and he can be on his way home. Someone must be missing him.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 15:17:24 PM »
He is a lovely cat- I am a bit concerned as he didn't eat a lot of the food before coming here, so unless he was going elsewhere as well, he hasn't had a proper meal since yesterday morning. He might not, but has had something different offered for brekkie, and even in a different bowl. Will wait until tomorrow before starting to pull out the 'posh' food though.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 15:18:27 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 15:15:00 PM »
Felix is so lovely and doesnt look hungry  ;D

Maybe he doesnt like the food choice Desley  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 15:11:25 PM »
WEll, he still hasn't eaten yet, poor babe, but has used the tray, and if he is male, definitely neutered. He loves to be in the 'den' and adores being fussed, within minutes he was letting me stroke his belly!! Pics aren't the best, but hopefully they show him off well, i think he is just a big framed cat, as you can feel his ribs without too much pressure, and his fur is soo thick, plush and soft, it is wonderful to stroke.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 20:46:16 PM »
 :welcome: to Desleys, Felix  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 19:20:07 PM »
Well, he has a name, which is Felix. We had a childhood ginger and white cat called Felix (looks very similar to Ginger in my siggy), so my mum suggested it for this one, and I think it is a nice tribute.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 18:00:01 PM »
We already have a Marmalade in our care at the moment, so that might be rather confusing!! He has let me have a stroke, and has a little scab on his chin, bless him. Still hiding though, but he has the radio on, and I will shut the curtains soon, so if we do have a lot of fireworks, he should be fine - and I am in all evening.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 17:56:59 PM »
definitely Burnt Marmalade!! he sounds gorgeous!!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 17:30:38 PM »
WEll, he turned up early, so I went up and fortunately they had some gloves, cos he is a very strong cat!! Very large, slightly fluffy dark ginger, fingers crossed he has a chip on Wed, as he is very nice natured. My sis can have the pleasure of naming him. If not, I shall be making some phone calls on Thurs. And the lady is happy to help us out if she can, and will drop us some food and stuff off as a thank you. Nice to meet nice cat people.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 15:52:12 PM »
They might be OK, Molly seems to be better with anything over 2 than under 2. They have a while before they will see him anyway.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 15:51:06 PM »
Can imagine your lots faces when a 2 year old emerges  :evillaugh:  :what:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 15:33:03 PM »
WEll, I am really hoping that he will have a microchip or been reported and reunited with his owner. If not, he will be isolated for 2 weeks, as they all are, and with being young, I hope it wont be hard to home him.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 15:27:10 PM »
That is great, also if he is a frienly boy he might stay with your ones. ;D, and not in the foster room. ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Possible new foster
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:13:05 PM »
Had a phone call off a lady earlier, asking for help with a stray cat (thanks vets!!). She has been feeding him a few weeks now, while asking around, and also incase he went home, but she now thinks he has got too lost - very friendly and affectionate big ginger tom, so she feels he should have a home somewhere. The only thing she hasn't got round to doing is checking him for a chip, but I have a vet app on Wed, and they are happy for me to take him along to scan. She thinks he is only about 2 or 3, and would keep him herself, but has a 14yo nervous female who isnt' in the best of health. She is going to shut him in when he comes for his tea, and I can nip up and collect him. If he is scanned and has no chip, then i shall be ringing round local rescues in case they have reported him, but there are very few houses where he has turned up. Will certainly be the last foster of the year!!
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat