Author Topic: Homechecks and related issues  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Homechecks and related issues
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2007, 14:09:42 PM »
That's fine MM, I'm learning lots.
Although I can see Melysion's point regarding the form (see link at beginning of thread), I think home checks are justifiable. Melysion may be the perfect owner, but how can you tell unless you visit her?

My house is a wreck, but I have ten happy cats (Sam and Polly and the guests). I don't think the state of the house matters as much as the attitude of the prospective owner. I have fallen a little in love with my 'guests' and want to be sure that they will go to people who will love and take good care of them; not leave them out in the cold, or mistreat them. Considering that they are ex ferals, I think it would be important to keep them in for a couple of months and I don't see why a prospective owner would object to this, unless they don't like litter trays or scratched furniture.....which is why a pristine house is maybe not the best, mine is covered with cat hair and scratched furniture; I don't care, I love my cats more than the furniture.

Ela, I would be grateful if you would give more detail about the questions you ask.  :thanks:

The cats are all doing well, even the black and white tom is settling into a calm pet cat. Of course, they are bonding to me, so they will go several steps back when rehomed. I want prospective owners to be prepared for this and not expect them to be 'normal' domestics immediately. Slowly, slowly wins them round.

Will hopefully have pics soon. I'm going to have to film them with my webcam and take stills from the film. Will be making fliers with pics and details to distribute at local vets.

As for FIV FLV etc, I'd expect prospective owners to have them virus checked if they want. Rebekah is doing this with Alfie before she takes him. We're waiting for the young litter to be old enough to neuter/spay before starting the homing campaign.

All advice and experience appreciated. I know about cats, but not about this rescue stuff.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 10:12:18 AM »
Often the stress of rehoming will bring out an illness the cat otherwise had no symptoms of

That is the exactly reason why Cats Protection pay for any vet treatment for one month after homing.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 09:58:19 AM »
Often the stress of rehoming will bring out an illness the cat otherwise had no symptoms of.
Sorry to HK for hijacking your thread again  :naughty:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 02:54:25 AM »
And it wasn't as if it was just FIV. This was full blown FAIDS! How they missed that I have no idea.

I have seen many cats with 'full blown' and some have still looked so well by sight you cannot tell.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:54:50 AM by Ela »

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2007, 01:05:57 AM »
And I am extremely wary of the Cats Protection league after the one near my mother gave her a cat with end stage FAIDS (undiagnosed). We lost her within a week

And someone off an free ad site wouldnt rip you off? Not all rescues can afford to blood test on top of other costs such as vaccinating, chipping and worm/flea treatments.
You could buy a kitten and it die with a heart problem, nobodies fault just fate.
Please dont think badly of CP because of one bad experience.

I know the risks with gumtree  -and its my own fault therefore if I get ripped off. But my point is I expect better from a recognised cat shelter and didnt get it in that instance.

And it wasn't as if it was just FIV. This was full blown FAIDS! How they missed that I have no idea.

It was very sad. We were heartbroken.

I do understand what people are staying and I'm not trying to say that CP is bad or anything. Sorry. It is just we had a very bad experience thats all.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:14:26 AM by melysion »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2007, 20:36:01 PM »
I agree, with Melysion to some extent. I approached a breed rescue when I was looking round for a cat and was refused before I got to telling them my name, practically. First I sent an email that was ignored, then I phoned and left a message which was ignored, and after several days of calling back eventually I spoke to the woman.

There was absolutely nothing I could do or say that would convince this woman that I might make a suitable cat owner. I suspect it was my accent - I really can not think of any other justifiable reason she would have been obstructive. First it was 'what would you do with the cat when you return to Oz?', then no you can't take the cat with you!! I mean, get a life!! I guess as a breed rescue there are probably queues of people looking, but I was willing to take on any ancient, diseased, three legged blind moggie around, she just decided before she even spoke to me, that she wasn't letting me near any of her cats.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2007, 20:28:10 PM »
Sadly, experience isn't everything, there are new things happening all the time in medicine. I am sorry your mother had a bad experience, but you have more chance of a cat who has had a check up through a rescue than a free ad site.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2007, 20:23:29 PM »
And I am extremely wary of the Cats Protection league after the one near my mother gave her a cat with end stage FAIDS (undiagnosed). We lost her within a week

Although very sad that is one cat out of over sixty thousand in any year that you are writing about, I feel it unfair comment to be wary when you know of 1 out of over sixty thousand.

Sadly as has been posted on here many times before. if everyone in the country had their cats tested many people would be in for a nasty shock. I personally have seen cats with FIV and FeLV and some of look so well it is unbelievable that there is anything wrong at all.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 18:04:44 PM »

And someone off an free ad site wouldnt rip you off? Not all rescues can afford to blood test on top of other costs such as vaccinating, chipping and worm/flea treatments.
You could buy a kitten and it die with a heart problem, nobodies fault just fate.
Please dont think badly of CP because of one bad experience.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 17:29:03 PM »
Being the rehoming person for Canterbury CP, i must say I do ask lots of questions when they phone me anyhows.. We go through costs, where they live, children, animals, holidays, vacinnations, if they have had cats before, experience with cats, what they want from a cat.. Loads of questions, but the time they have got to the end of my questions, i can pretty much suss people out if they are truly intent on giving a cat a loving home.. Just about all dont mind the homechecks or indeed follow ups calls

I too ask loads of questions but to be honest within the first 6 words I usually know, however, when the home visitor goes out they go through everything again,  people are usually so excited they don't remember what is said, also the home visitor gives out every free cat booklet that CP have available. The even if for some reason they can't have a cat, they do have plenty of info for if they adopt one private.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 17:09:41 PM »
I think homechecks are important but also think each case should be judged on its merits.

On merits yes, but a prospectives adopters medical condition must not override the considered  safety aspect.

She has has cats for at least 40 years so didn't need someone talking to her like she was an idiot

I have to say that nothing get my back up more than when I am told oh!  I have had cats all my like me ducks I know all about them, to that I always reply, with all due respect  I have had cats for over 40 years and to be honest I am learning something new every day, new ideas, new methods, new treatments are always coming out and to be able to give my cats the best possible chance in life  I am always willing to take new infomation on board. Obviously I so not know how your mum was spoken to. Even when I say the above I do so as sweetly as possible.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 20:17:08 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 17:07:11 PM »
I understand the cats welfare is Paramount but my mum was put off adopting from a rescue in Essex as they demanded the cat be kept in for 8 weeks and that all doors and windows be kept closed for that period. The Homechecker said that if she went out the front or back door, there should be at least one other door closed between the cat and it

That is exactly what we say Mark when homing adult cats 8 weeks in the hope they will be kept in 4, if we say for they will be out in 2. Also we always recommend the double door system.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 17:24:25 PM by Ela »

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 13:20:27 PM »
I know some rescues / shelters can be bad and to be honest downright rediculous about their homing policy.

At the end of the day I think certain questions have to be asked and yes, proof of address for paperwork.  Not everyone is as knowledgeable about cats as they think they are.

We take an 'educational' and 'partnership' point of view with cats we home and make people feel they can come back to us with questions during their time with their new pet.  It seems to be well accepted and we don't see the point in breathing down peoples necks.  It would just create more work for us and doesn't serve to benefit anyone least of all the cat or the shelters reputation.  After all who wants to beknown as a group of ' little hitlers!'

Common sense is a wonderful thing!  :D ;)  lol
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
Standards/strictness do differ between rescues but personally I'd rather be grilled so I know they're serious about where their animals go!

I'd like to think that when I homecheck for any I rehome I can differ the approach depending on whether they've had pets before etc and how they come across, it does have a lot to do with gut feeling as others have said. LittleLijah and Beccaviola, hope you didn't feel too grilled when you got your babes from me but as above - only because we want the best home for the animals!

Have to say though, if you don't know someone, how do you know they know about the ins and outs of looking after a pet?! These questions have to be asked sometimes and information given. I realise it may feel a bit patronising at times but it's a shame to let that put you off rehoming from a shelter where those animals truly need a good and loving home.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »
Sorry but nothing said so far would convince me to adopt from an animal shelter. The home visit thing is just too intrusive and I'd bristle at any more than about 3 follow up calls.

I know a rescue down the street that just has you sign the paperwork (that you will either keep the cat or bring it back to them if your circumstances change), and pay the adoption fee.

No questions asked, or they really liked me when I adopted Smoke...

They don't all ask a lot of questions or do home checks etc.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
Sorry but nothing said so far would convince me to adopt from an animal shelter. The home visit thing is just too intrusive and I'd bristle at any more than about 3 follow up calls.

I guess I want my privacy too much. I do see why they are done but I don't want people intruding into my life like that. When I decided on a cat I thought about it very carefully. I didn't need some other person telling me what I already had considered - vet bills, neutering etc. I guess some people might need that sort of thing pointed out but I certainly didnt so I would have found the whole home check thing immensely irritating.

And I am extremely wary of the Cats Protection league after the one near my mother gave her a cat with end stage FAIDS (undiagnosed). We lost her within a week.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:29:21 PM by melysion »

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 12:15:17 PM »
I have only done it a few times but try to put people at ease. The last one I did, I told her I would be inspecting her windows for streaks and expected her best china to be used  :evillaugh:

I would have failed that, I have no best China!

We were worried when we went to the RSPCA in York and they took our details for a home check (because we are in Leeds it took them a lot longer to give us an appointment and we had Lirael when they did come back to us), if they needed any ID though my husband has a drivers license here but I don't (I have a US one which isn't helpful) and I didn't have a visa to permantely remain in the UK at the time. As we knew the whole, you're American thing would come up ;)

Would have cleaned the house completely if we had the check, but honestly I do that whenever we have company.

I'd be a mess if I was undergoing a home check (especially from Mark!!).

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »
Being the rehoming person for Canterbury CP, i must say I do ask lots of questions when they phone me anyhows.. We go through costs, where they live, children, animals, holidays, vacinnations, if they have had cats before, experience with cats, what they want from a cat.. Loads of questions, but the time they have got to the end of my questions, i can pretty much suss people out if they are truly intent on giving a cat a loving home.. Just about all dont mind the homechecks or indeed follow ups calls..

So when i ask Mark (or whowever) to go along, we have a fair idea of the lovely home people can give a cat.... I have rehomed to grand houses and town houses, flats and places that are abit shall we say untidy.. But that dosnt much matter what the place is like as long as they are loving people willing to take on a cat...

Touch wood, we rarely get cats coming back to us..... ! I do a check up every few weeks for new adoptor and also make sure kittens are settling in well and will make sure that kittens are neutered when old enough....

We recently rehomed a 15 yr old cat to an elderly lady in Herne bay.. The nephew arranged it and one of our homechecker ladies went along to see the lady who was obv very old herself.. But the nephew had good enough sense to say that if anything happened to  the lady he would take the cat on...The lady lived in a old house that was abit of mess, but the cat got a lovely home and she rang me a few days later to say how we had brightened her Christmas as Lucy had given her so much company.. We wanted to make sure the the lady could take care of the cat and the nephew was fully aware that we were making sure that was the case and was very happy that we asked all the right questions....

I have rehomed in less then desiirable areas of Canterbury, but the home have been great and the people have been lovely and caring...

We pride ourself in making sure that cats got to lovely homes and luckily with all that we do i think we do really good in achieving that..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 11:55:32 AM »
we did that as well when the blue cross came over!!!  we had been turned down previously for living too near a fast road and were so desperate to have the cats my house has never been cleaner!  OH tried to get the girl to go upstairs and then realised how odd it must have looked!!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »
I have only done it a few times but try to put people at ease. The last one I did, I told her I would be inspecting her windows for streaks and expected her best china to be used  :evillaugh:

That is very cruel Mark  :evillaugh:  I did one on an older couple who had TC and Lucy, their house was like a show house and they'd been scrubbing all day bless them, they wanted to show me the bedrooms etc and thought this is what a homecheck was about  :shocked:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 11:47:31 AM »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 10:08:51 AM »
I do have a friend that has got two from a pet shop because she couldn't face home checks

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
I understand the cats welfare is Paramount but my mum was put off adopting from a rescue in Essex as they demanded the cat be kept in for 8 weeks and that all doors and windows be kept closed for that period. The Homechecker said that if she went out the front or back door, there should be at least one other door closed between the cat and it  As it was July and my mum suffers hot flushes due to medication, it was out of the question, also she felt patronised by the woman. She has has cats for at least 40 years so didn't need someone talking to her like she was an idiot. She went to another rescue instead (CP). I think there is a fine line and cats could suffer because of a "tick box" mentality. At the end of the day, if people have decided they want a cat or kitten, they will go to freeads or a petshop if the can't get them any other way. I think homechecks are important but also think each case should be judged on its merits.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 08:18:20 AM »
I've heard that some even want driving licence details. Er .... why

That is something we so recommend when it is a direct home (a private adoption). Not too long ago a man, his wife and children went to a home that was advertising kittens, he said he would have the lot, and  could he have Mum too as his mother would love her, the owner of mum and kittens asked for identity  and to look at his driving  as we had advised and he and the family ran out of the house.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 08:13:56 AM »
  - looking at the criteria as laid out in that document I bet you guys would not let me adopt.

How wrong you are, just because someone has a very clean and tidy home does not ensure a good home. In fact in some of these so called perfect homes, cats have a lot less freedom as in reality the owners would be more suitable to a picture of a cat than the real thing. I remember I went to a house once and I nearly died on the spot, I will not say it was untidy as there was very little in it to be untidy, they had very little but what they did have was a whole cupboard full of cat food and a heart as big as a bucket.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 22:12:16 PM »
Don't get me wrong - an interview and a home visit is - IMHO - a must for the very reasons you stated - but some of these shelters can go way over the top.

I've heard that some even want driving licence details. Er .... why?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 21:09:55 PM »
I've not even looked at the document tbh but the idea of a homecheck is to ensure the cats are going to be safe and looked after.  When I do homechecks, it's not like an interview or not as far as I'm concerned anyway.  I don't care what the house looks like, I'm interested in the people and whether or not they are going to give a furbabe a loving home.  Some people might want a cat for a plaything for their 2 year old, you never know and this is why it's important to meet the people.  Others think it's okay to turf their cat out whilst on holiday and expect it to fend for itself as it's a cat........you will be surprised what people don't know.  On the whole, this is for the cats benefit and the owners benefit, any I rehome come back to me if they have problems or the cat won't settle etc etc.  If you think, most of the cats that end up in rescues are got on a whim and the owners haven't put enough thought into it, at least this way, they think about what they are doing and how a cat is a big commitment and responsibility.  And for the record, I only ask a few questions, I'm not interested in their place of birth, bank balance or anything else, if they can give any of mine a good home, provide them with the care they need and love them unconditionally, that's good enough for me.  Oh, and if their house if a tip, who cares......the cats don't  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 21:12:16 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 21:02:35 PM »
Can I just say something that people may not like?

Now - I agree with the concept of home visits and an interview to ensure that the potential new owner knows what looking after a cat means and checking with the landlord that cats are allowed. But I do think some of these interviews are a bit OTT.  For example - my place is a tip - and all that should tell anyone is that i hate cleaning. It doesn't mean I am a bad cat owner.

No-one could accuse me of not being a excellent cat Mum and yet  - looking at the criteria as laid out in that document I bet you guys would not let me adopt.

I got Toby from gumtree and I suspect I'll always get cats from gumtree because I find that cat charities are too intrusive. There is a cat shelter near me that I'll never adopt from as it says in the contract that the cat will always belong to them and they can take it back at any time!

If I am to adopt a cat, I want that cat to be mine - not leased to me.

There are many people who would give a cat from a shelter a good, safe home that are completely put off by the intrusive nature of the 'home visit'.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 20:45:49 PM »
It takes time before you can touch them without them running off, some of mine are happy to take food off me but thats it.  Did you manage to get any piccies of them?  They all sound as if they are coming on well.  How's the black/white one doing?  It would be great if he can get a home with one of the others.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 20:35:39 PM »
The ginger kittens have calmed down a lot, but I still can't touch them. I think they will slowly come round.

Someone was interested in them shortly after I trapped the cats, but she lost interest and I haven't heard anything since. She saw the kittens when they were very wild. To be honest, I didn't really like her: she lived in her sister's house, claimed to have had ferals before, but had no idea how to look after them. I'm glad she's lost interest. Apparently, one comment she made to her friend (the daughter of the woman who is having Alfie, provided his bloods are ok) was that I gave the impression that I wouldn't have them back if things didn't work out. I'm not sure if this comment indicated a lack of committment or a misinterpretation of my injunction to give them TIME to become pet cats, not to expect too much too soon etc.

Nearly time to fill their tummies again!  :Luv2:  Newbie/Nubi always looks like he has a football in his tum after he's stuffed himself silly.  :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 17:40:50 PM »
Hi Hippy, just wondering how the ginger kittens are? have they calmed down at all and do you have any potential homes for them?

Andrea x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 10:13:12 AM »
well done for doing all of this Hippy, did the mum cat ever turn up?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 10:08:31 AM »
She's the kind of owner every cat needs, someone who has a real affection for them. The link I posted does mention something like talking about past pets - you can tell a lot from how someone talks about a cat who has crossed the bridge. A casual shrug, or a teary eyed retelling of all their exploits - the difference speaks volumes.

Hi Rosella!  :morning:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:09:48 AM »
That's lovely Mark  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:00:11 AM »
Of course, sometimes you don't have to ask much at all. I did a homecheck for TJ last week. As soon as I got to the house, the lady told me straight away about her cat Rosie who died in October. She said she cried for a month and swore she would never have another as it was too painful. She then showed me where Rosie used to sit and the things she got up to. Then she said she missed having a reason to get up in the morning to be responsible for caring for a little one. She even missed the routine of litter trays etc. She said that she thought the winter time was best to get a cat as once the spring time came, the glass doors on her living room were open all day for the cat to come and go until bedtime when she made sure the cat was safely inside before she went to bed  ;D - She said a cat was family  :Luv2:- She had already offered a donation  ;D - There wasn't much for me to ask her, other than for her signature  :evillaugh:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 07:15:06 AM »
Thanks for any helpful advice, I'm copying and pasting it into Word, so I can make a list of queries and things to look for.

The youngest five will be neutered/spayed before rehoming - that's one reason I've waited.

Please keep any suggestions coming, they all add something to my store of knowledge about rescue. Cats, I understand, even ferals, but rescue is a new departure for me.  :thanks:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 22:03:34 PM »
Can I just say "nice one" HK...... ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 18:56:40 PM »
 Please advise people when the next flea and worm treatment is due and what you used. I would also ask them to sign something which confirms that any that are not old enough to be neutered and spayed are when they are old enough and then check that it has been 'done' at the time.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 17:20:25 PM »
 :welcome: back

Ask about holiday arrangements
Are they planning a family in the future and if they will keep the cats when they do, so many people decide its too much "work"  :tired:
Are other pets vaccinated and neutered

As to advertising i wouldnt do supermarket boards or free ads but if your vigouous with homechecking then you can weed the unsuitables out, it could create alot of extra work tho.

With ex-ferals make sure they understand the cat isnt going to bond with them instantly, sometimes people think the cat will be so appreciate of their love and fall at their feet purring at day 2  :evillaugh:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 16:44:25 PM »
When we adopted our two recently they looked up a photo of our address on google earth so you could see in a plan what the area is like and where the roads are etc, they asked what the speed limits were on the surrounding roads, whether we had a cat flap, whether the cats would be allowed outside at night, where they would sleep/be allowed to sleep, were we aware that they could live to 20+ years old and what plans we would make for holiday care.  I do rabbit homechecking (slightly different) and I guess the guiding principle is 'would I be happy to leave one of my own animals here'. 

Link to CatChat