Author Topic: Cleo is a grand lady, diabetic tortie, can we find a home for her for Christmas?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Glad Cleo is OK. :) Thanks for the update, Mark.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Phew  :)

Glad to hear she's ok for the present and in good hands!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Just spoke to Paula.

She is OK  :Luv2:

The vet has stabilised her but keeping her in until tomorrow. He said that she doesn't have severe diabetes and it could probably be managed with diet (she has injections at the moment).

She does have kidney probs as well. Anyway, she is being looked after by Paula who is retired and will be a fulltime live-in maid for lady Cleo for the time being  ;D

Paula is coming round to meet Alice & the rest of the mob this afternoon so will try to get more info. Also a photo hopefully  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 15:26:32 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Oh no... any news on Cleo?  :scared:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Nooo. Oh, I do hope she's OK. Please give her a huge fuss from me.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Poor Cleo collapsed this morning and Paula has rushed her to the vet  :'(
I will try to get an update later unless Sharon posts one.

Hopefully she will be OK. I was in touch with The Paula Carr Diabetic trust yesterday and they said they will ask around and put a poster on their Noticeboard at Ashford hospital.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
I work in the NHS (office based but I travel around a few hospital/ward sites) and could post up some posters on boards if need be - we are in Manchester though (and I work in the Warrington area - is that too far?)

I love tortie ladies  :Luv:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 21:46:15 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Where abouts are you in the country.. The answer is anything we can do to help give this pussy a good chance of a happy home..

If that means she may have to travel then we can talk about it and assess her with vets advise.. So "yes" in principle..

Ta
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Is that a yes?  :) Shall I ask my cousin to put the details on the board? PM me if it's easier.

• Super Cat
We would consider rehoming Cleo out the area (providing homechecks were done) if a Fab home can be found.. I talked to the vet and the fosterer, she is fairly laid back and sleeps alot so i dont see it would be a problem... But of course we would put things in action if such an event turned out to be possible.

I suppose its a judgement call, abit of stress with a journey being the price to pay for home. But a good point...

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Hope that Cleo finds her new foster or forever home really soon... bless her she's gorgeous!!

Keeping all fingers, toes, paws and tails crossed up here for them!

Sxxx
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Does anyone on this forum work in a hospital or in the medical profession as often they are the people that seem to take on such cats?

My cousin is training to be a nurse. I could ask her to put a poster up, but we're some way away from you and I'm not sure how happy Cleo would be travelling such a distance if anyone did want to take her on.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Aww, I do hope she improves in an indoor situation, shame it isn't possible for all oldies to be in a foster home rather htan a rescue.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
Thanks all.
Cleo is having to be moved to one of our indoor fosterers as she is not coping that well in a pen.. Abit unsteady on her pins.

As for the other two, well i hope to have a home for Gracie but that hasnt happened and Cylde also is still waiting. They are both senior cats, but no health issues.

We just feel its alot of a old lady like Cleo to cope with and its not doing her alot of good, so hopefully we can get her into a indoor foster soon and at least she can have some one and one care..

Does anyone on this forum work in a hospital or in the medical profession as often they are the people that seem to take on such cats.?

I just wondered if they could put up a poster of something..

Let me know if you know of anybody.

Ta

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Fingers crossed for her, and good luck with teh other 2, I do hate rescues that refuse to help due to age, I have had one like that, but at least there are people like us that will help.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Very best of luck Cleo, and she's not old, as you prob know our Byron is 23!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Super Cat
Please not that i am out most of the day today, so if anyone posts anything here with questins then i will get back to you on our return.. Of course Cleo is not in immediate danger of anything like that, but she dosnt deserve being in a pen, she deserves much more then that..

She came in two two other senior cats that she has lived with, one of which i will of found a home for by the weekend and the other one there are hopes for him too. . But no one wants Cleo...

She was so much loved in her old home by the lady who never got to find out that we have taken them in our care, before the landlord stepped in and suggested they will all be PTS when the lady died..

She passed away the night of the day we took them in and it was her wish that someone take care of her beloved cats.... But unfortunately she never got to know that they were safe with us.

Other rescues has said that these 3 were all to old to be rehomed and Cleo wouldnt make it and thus would be un homeable.. Cleo is 12 plus in age. 

What rubbish!!!

Although we struggled to find space... we did this becasue we do what we can in the circumstnaces, and i so wish other bigger rescues wouldnt be so darn picking about the cats that they choose to take in...and i am sure you know what i am talking about here.

Thanks people, and if anyone can post in other forums then that would be great.

Ta

• Super Cat
CAN YOU OFFER LOVELY CLEO A NICE NEW HOME FOR CHRISTMAS?

Cleo came into our care after her loving owner recently died and there was no one around who could take care of her. She was very much loved and meant a great deal to her previous owner, as she has been given loads of fuss and always the best veterinary care when she needed it.

Cleo is a tortie colour puss and as you can see from this not very good photo, is always trying to see what is going on. What makes Cleo a little bit different from other cats that we generally have in our care is that Cleo is an insulin dependant diabetic and sometime in the past she lost her tail, but none of that bothers her too much.  Cleo diabetes is something you see in older cats but it can be easily controlled with proper veterinary care and daily injections. Cleo has become very used to her daily routine and is very good at someone giving her daily medication

The trouble is that many people just want be bothered and are not that willing to take on  a senior puss with diabetes, and the sad fact is that if we had not taken Cleo in, she may of ended up being put to sleep.

Cleo has been stable with her condition for a few years now, but every now again she needs to go for a check up to make sure things are ticking along okay.. But she seems a real fusspot puss and obviously takes this in her stride (or paws).

Cleo would suit an older family home or indeed a retired person. You may never know you may be a diabetic yourself and are therefore used to the needle thing. Cleo is used to having a stroll in the garden, but I bet given the chance she would just sit on the windowsill and watch the world go by from her perch.

We don’t want Cleo to spend the rest of her days in one of our foster pens, even though they are very nice, it’s not quiet like home and obviously she is a senior lady who deserves a nice cushion and a big cat basket to call her own.

Cleo is used to being around other cats.

So if you are that real special person that wants to give a cat a happy retirement then please get in touch.

Please don’t be put off by the diabetic and needle thing, we can give loads of help and guidance and we will also be willing to assist with Cleo’s veterinary costs associated with her condition if you are able to use one of our vets (but if you cannot I am sure we can work that out as well).

Cleo has been spayed, is fully up to date with her vaccinations and is chipped. So Cleo wishes you furry head butts and paws to you and just hopes that her new family come forward very soon.
CANTERBURY & DISTRICT CP
TEL 01227 266838 /360432
email canterburycpl@btopenworld.com

Please not this line is run entirely by volunteers who work, so we are not able to get back to you immediately, but if you leave a clear message we will.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 08:26:57 AM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat