Author Topic: I had no idea people crated cats  (Read 3187 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: I had no idea people crated cats
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »
We all know how much they hate it in a catbox for the 20 mins to get to the vets, I dont think my cats would like it  :(
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
I can't understand why you would want to crate a cat unless it was for health and safety reasons. 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 15:10:42 PM »
Yes - I agree it is a good idea for preventing cats with recently repaired pelvises from jumping off wardrobes  :evillaugh: (which we know they would still try to do)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 14:57:17 PM »
Ooooo yes forgot medical reasons too. Nothing wrong with crating a cat for medical reasons as it would be for their own benefit. It was just the thought of them crating them whilst they went to work or to prevent naughtiness (at least with dogs you can use the crate as a tool to help with training and then phase it out. You can't exactly train a cat. So it's like containing the issue and not solving it).

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 14:07:38 PM »

The only assumption I can make is that those people who do it as part of a regime have cats who don't mind being crated.  :shy:

And have those cats said they don't mind being crated...I don't think so. Just like feline declawing is legal in the USA..... to my mind it's cruel as is crating!

Well with respect you can take that as far as you want to - does anyone actually know if cats are happy to have their meals presented to them out of a tin rather than freshly hunted prey?  :shy: We can only go by our perceptions of stress, can't we? I have seen cats crated looking quite content and not the slightest bit distressed so I'm not against it unless the cat is clearly upset and suffering.  ;) But I'm as the same opinion as Den... if a calm, contented cat is happy to curl up for a snooze and stay crated then why bother crating it unless for medical reasons?  :shy:

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 22:21:47 PM »
I think that some people give crating a bad rep by using it as a punishment and a prison, and the animal doesn't like it. Crating is supposed to be a positive experience and a safe place for a dog, somewhere that they like to be and go by choice. I just pup a picture of our new foster pup in his crate on Facebook and my friend said 'what's the cage all about?' I said he was crate trained and it's his safe space and she was just like 'kk'. I think she thinks I'm going to have the poor pup caged up all day  :tired: Of course it's cruel when people do this I think its what his previous owner did all day while she was out at work and I wholly disagree with it

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Saska

• Adult Cat
  • Millie
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 20:45:31 PM »

The only assumption I can make is that those people who do it as part of a regime have cats who don't mind being crated.  :shy:

And have those cats said they don't mind being crated...I don't think so. Just like feline declawing is legal in the USA..... to my mind it's cruel as is crating!

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 20:34:39 PM »
There are still loads of people who don't like crating in the UK, but it's getting more and more popular. I know of people in the USA with 7+ dogs and they crate them all for 9+ hours every day. Sometimes at night too. I don't understand that. They should be so you can teach them and then phase out the crates, but some don't bother. So, this is what is worrying me with the fact it's happening with cats too. They want all the animals, but don't want any of the inconveniences that come with them (such as wet patches on the floor due to them being out all day, or items moved around the house due to bored animals). I just really don't understand the need or desire to crate a cat.

This is what I don't really understand. If they have a cat that doesn't mind being crated I would think it would be the type of cat that would be mellow around the house and not get up to much except sleep. So why would the person want to crate the kitty  :scared:

Offline Saska

• Adult Cat
  • Millie
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 20:08:50 PM »
First time I saw crating dogs or cats was a few yrs ago when I moved to the USA. People left them all day while they went to work  >:( I never saw crating as a rule in peoples homes in the UK then. Now I'm back here and quite shocked to see it getting just as common and I for one don't like it for a dog or cat!  >:(
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 23:28:23 PM »
People who even think it's possible to dissapline cats obviously don't understand cats.  :innocent: As for crating cats... well I'm not sure anyone with a heart can stand crating a cat against it's will for very long.  :doh: I've had to crate adult cats while fostering for safety reasons and it drives you up the pole. They cry and cry.... you couldn't sleep through it.  :doh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 15:44:41 PM »
Sorry, Mark. Dogs were mentioned on here too, so I felt the need to defend it from a dog owners perspective. I do however agree entirely with your sentiment regarding crate training a cat; would make for a very unhappy feline.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 13:54:27 PM »
I would hardly call it a training technique. It is just something for lazy owners who value a sofa more than an animal  >:(

Not for dogs.

I thought the thread was about crating cats  :-:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 13:25:37 PM »
I suppose its better than being declawed  :shy:

Depends really. Looking at it logically, yes declawing has more physical ramifications; but crating a cat will wreak havoc from a psychological standpoint.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 13:24:32 PM »
I would hardly call it a training technique. It is just something for lazy owners who value a sofa more than an animal  >:(

Not for dogs. It's a valuable training resource for canines with issues I'm told. (By someone who has five very healthy, happy, Crufts level trained dogs.) For a cat however it's entirely different - cats and humans have identical regions in the brain responsible for emotion, so I'm not sure how it would combat any problems a cat would have.....

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 13:05:18 PM »
I suppose its better than being declawed  :shy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
A crate is supposed to be a safe place, not a punishment (can tell I've been reading up!) but I bet most of the people use the crate as a 'prison' for cats. I can't see it being very easy to train a cat to go in the crate voluntarily and enjoy being shut in there in the same way a dog would. A cat enjoys a high and open vista over it's territory whereas a dog is a 'den' animal so feels safer in a small enclosed personal space, I can imagine a cat going mad being shut in a tiny box all the time. It's just the next step down from declawing - sacrificing a cat's welfare for the sake of saving your furniture.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 22:28:34 PM »
Definitely disturbing. Cats and dogs are very different species and respond differently to the same training technique.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 19:17:32 PM »
Chicken still has her crate from when she was a little weener, she is shut in there at food times (has food issues so cant eat with the others) but also chooses to sleep in there with her sibling 'kitty' who she still suckles on  :Luv2:

I f i were to shut her in for bad behaviour she would never be out in the house  :rofl: some people just shouldnt have pets  :tired:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 16:51:36 PM »
Many a child and human should be put in one of those - permanently !

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 16:31:36 PM »
I don't understand why they'd do it as surely it will result in a badly behaved and possible depressed cat. I also wonder how many would think to put a litter tray in there with the cat. It seems to be an American thing  :scared: but who knows if it will come
over here. I hope not for the sake of kitties. Molly has a crate (with door left open) and Memphis frequents it by his own choice but I don't think he'd like it if he had no choice and the door was closed for hours.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 16:00:04 PM »
I find it more than disturbing and more like disgusting  >:(

Surely that is in breach of the 5 freedoms?

I know it has been said many times before but people who expect cats not to scratch things should get a goldfish. I despise people who treat animals like objects. I'm not impressed with dogs being caged either, although it isn't as bad as crating a cat. Unless people can look after animals properly, they shouldn't be allowed to have them.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
I had no idea people crated cats
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 15:49:40 PM »
I'm not talking about rescues who use crates for their fosters as that is understandable.

I was just reading a topic on another forum about crates and dogs. Some people were mentioning that they also have crates for their cats too. I didn't believe this so popped onto google and it would appear by the looks of things there is a trend of crating cats whilst the owners are asleep or at work to prevent damage or michief, or to put them in for time out. Basically they are treating them like dogs.

Is it just me that finds this practice a little disturbing  :scared:

Link to CatChat