Author Topic: Cat curfew proposed in Melbourne - good or bad  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
Re: Cat curfew proposed in Melbourne - good or bad
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 17:25:37 PM »
Crap idea

love

Freddie
x

LOL!  :rofl:

I predict this  is going to be a controversial thread ..... :scared:

Said it would be controversial  ;) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @ Freddie  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 17:22:16 PM »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 16:24:16 PM »
Crap idea

love

Freddie
x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 02:12:50 AM »
Excellent idea, though since i keep mine in at night I would agree. You can get some pretty amazing cat runs here with all sorts of fun activity opportunities in them, I have had them in the past myself. Compulsory neutering - absolutely. In Oz dogs have to registered and the owner is held responsible for ensuring that they are never in a public place except on leash. A bit more regulated than in the UK. I had the local council terribly worried when I rang to register Shadow when he arrived in the UK as they thought he must be a 'dangerous dog'. It took a lot of conversation at long last before we sorted out the confusion as we each assumed the other knew what we were talking about  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 00:03:39 AM »
I think its a good idea, but I would as I already keep the gang in!  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 23:39:20 PM »
I am even more aware of keeping them in a night after what happened to the pigeons the other night as well. Whatever it was could have got one of the cats  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 22:34:36 PM »
I think it's a good idea in theory ... but like Mark I would like to know what would happen to any kitty caught "breaking the curfew".
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 22:13:09 PM »
Well I have a cat proofed garden so I think I would tend to agree...if the area was bigger.

I would not like the thought of my cat been taken by a wild animal, then it would of been my fault.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 21:00:55 PM »
I'm in no way saying all dog owners are saints. What you describe are dog owners with little control and no respect for your property. They should have control of their dogs. However, owners who have free roaming cats have NO control over what their cat does. I say this because they don't go with/follow the cats around to prevent them getting into mischief. That is the point I'm getting at that you can't control free roaming cats .. with dogs you can. And it's the owners that are bad not the pooches  :)

Oh OK,  I get you now xxx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 20:58:07 PM »
I'm in no way saying all dog owners are saints. What you describe are dog owners with little control and no respect for your property. They should have control of their dogs. However, owners who have free roaming cats have NO control over what their cat does. I say this because they don't go with/follow the cats around to prevent them getting into mischief. That is the point I'm getting at that you can't control free roaming cats .. with dogs you can. And it's the owners that are bad not the pooches  :)

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 20:46:36 PM »
I actually don't think it's a bad idea  :scared:

As a dog owner I have to keep my pooch under control in public, make sure she can't escape and roam. And generally make sure she isn't a nuisance to other people. I keep my garden bunny proof so that he can't get out and eat the neighbours plants.

Yet cats do all of the above and more. I have to admit to not liking the fact that cats are so often free to roam and do as they please. There is nothing nice about clearing up cat poo from your garden which was deposited from the neighbours cats, having newly planted plants dug up, having a dog teased by a cat, rabbit scared by a cat (and not able to free roam without supervision for fear of a cat coming into the garden) and finally having dead mauled animals left in the garden.

People are often in uproar if a neighbours dog escapes and causes damage or fear, yet it is perfectly acceptable for a cat. I'm afraid I just see it as double standards  :doh:

Double standards I agree,  but please dont make out all dog owners to be saints,  we live on private property with a Bridleway through it,  you have to climb over a sty to get anywhere near our house or have the code to open the gates,  people persist in climbing over the sty and letting their dogs off leads,  this usually involves the dogs running into my garden trampling my plants and terrorising my cats and that is on as I say private property,  we moved here specifically to give our cats a better life away from roads etc etc,  and people come and ruin in by letting dogs off of leads,   so please dont blame cats for everything,  dogs and a lot of dog owners are just as bad !
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 20:53:22 PM by Daisymac »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 19:25:36 PM »
I actually don't think it's a bad idea  :scared:

As a dog owner I have to keep my pooch under control in public, make sure she can't escape and roam. And generally make sure she isn't a nuisance to other people. I keep my garden bunny proof so that he can't get out and eat the neighbours plants.

Yet cats do all of the above and more. I have to admit to not liking the fact that cats are so often free to roam and do as they please. There is nothing nice about clearing up cat poo from your garden which was deposited from the neighbours cats, having newly planted plants dug up, having a dog teased by a cat, rabbit scared by a cat (and not able to free roam without supervision for fear of a cat coming into the garden) and finally having dead mauled animals left in the garden.

People are often in uproar if a neighbours dog escapes and causes damage or fear, yet it is perfectly acceptable for a cat. I'm afraid I just see it as double standards  :doh:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 18:58:27 PM »
24/7 curfew with an enclosure of 2m x 2m  :Crazy: a nice run could convert some outdoorsy cats but a 2 x 2 wire box is ridiculous, i wouldnt keep a rabbit in that  >:(

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 18:29:56 PM »
Rubbish Idea!!!!! And will lead to a whole lot of strays when people who are used to having outdoor cats decide it is too much hassle to own one anymore!

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 18:04:07 PM »
They are having a laugh arent they ??,   there is no way I would get my lot in at 7PM,   I spend about two hours trying to get them in from about 10PM and only manage to get them in if I open a packet of dreamies !,   this world is going crazy,   we will all be restricted to when we can breathe soon !.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 18:02:15 PM »
Where as I'm happy for my cats to be free roaming here I'm not sure that i would be happy for them to be in Australia, id worry too much about the dangers of the indigenous wild life there IE poisonous snakes and spiders. i wonder what BC will think and besides how will they enforce it.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 17:54:48 PM »
Ridiculous idea.  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 17:46:27 PM »
I wonder what will happen to cats that are caugt during curfew? - if a cat decides not to come home in time and the wardens see them, what will they do?  :shify: - I just hope they don't shoot them or something  :(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 17:42:01 PM »
Both ideas are good - though I think a curfew might be hard to "enforce".  In the past I let cats out at night (I didn't know any better :shy:) but when you think of the risks to the cats, not to mention the chances of them having a little snack from some poor bird or other creature ....

I predict this  is going to be a controversial thread ..... :scared:

People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Cat curfew proposed in Melbourne - good or bad
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 17:37:22 PM »
I think its a good idea for cats not to be free roaming for so many reasons.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23632931-2862,00.html

There is a video on Yahoo news (just search "cat") but I can't link to it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 17:40:09 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat