Author Topic: Rabbitting on  (Read 1564 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Rabbitting on
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 22:56:56 PM »
It is a strange sort of conundrum, keeping and loving cats really. I love that my cats get to live as close to a natural cat life as it is possible for domestic animals to live that are confined at night for their saftey and receive regular meals and consider dogs (or at least my dog) to be their closest friend. And on the other hand you love other animals, and want them to also enjoy their lives and their endings.

When mine do have prey that I can not recover from them (and frequently I do manage to rescue what they have) I find it is a little comfort to remember that they are not torturing the animal they have caught, they are going through deeply ingrained natural responses to the presence of prey: tTeaching their young to hunt; honing their muscles and reflexes. So to them it is not an exercise in cruelty. That is a human interpretation of their behaviour, based on an assumption that cats think they same way we do. They don't and that is half their charm.

If you own a cat, you own a predator, and becoming accustomed to that fact can be a difficult process for many. I still have to leave the room if things get to the point where I can no longer usefully intervene on the behalf of the prey species. :sick:

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 22:30:04 PM »
Fantastic picture but I do feel very sorry for the poor bunny hop  :(  I know its only nature but it still bothers me with they capture and torture little creatures  :sick:

Wonder if I'll be brought little "gifts" when my 2 are finally let out....  :shify:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 18:31:14 PM »
Oh. My. GOD!!!!!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 13:26:31 PM »
Poor bunny - but impressive cat!

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »
Great picture, thankfully I have only had one rabbit brought inside so far.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »
Fantastic picture - shame about bunny but that's nature for you.  It reminds me of when Korky was a young whipper-snapper and I saw him struggling over the back fence with a rabbit as big as he was.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
I'm afraid bunny did not get away. Smidgen can be very determined when he has prey ... and since i live in a building site, there are many spots to lurk behind .. :sick:

I spotted him trotting up the back yard looking very smug, and happened to have the camera handy .... ;D

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:21:11 AM »
Coooo  to catch him on camera!

Did Bunny get away ok? I have never had to save a wild bunny brought in before, they must be hard to catch?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:23:17 AM by Tan, Reason: spelling ... again! lol »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Rabbitting on
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:47:54 AM »
Smidgen has really taken to country living and has entered into the life with considerable enthusiasm. I was a little disconcerted, however, when some of the wildlife started coming indoors with him ... This was this morning's offering :-:

Link to CatChat