Author Topic: Grooming.  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: Grooming.
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 17:58:06 PM »
Well, it may be a false hope, but our Munchkin hated being groomed with a vengence, and resisted with vigour until very recently. He's short haired but being a bit on the long & round side, has always had difficulty reaching the lower part of his back and base of his tail, where he tends to develop lumpy bits. Anyway, with a feeling of resignation, I took the brush to him last weekend and...he loved it!! I have no idea what's changed him, but I've grabbed the iron whilst hot and have groomed him every day since and he can't seem to get enough of it. So there's always the possibility that yours may have a sudden change of heart too.

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Misty
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 17:19:06 PM »
Am so glad that Mr Miyagi love`s grooming...SO Far.  :evillaugh:  No really hope he stay`s loven it.
Ya I make the grooming short, and pounce on him when he lest expects it.  Then give him a treat so he will forgive me.  :rofl:
God only know`s why I put up with him.....

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 22:01:20 PM »
Ive only had Mr Miyagi for 2 weeks so it may just be luck but hes really docile ;D He falls asleep when i comb him-he loves his face being groomed- its only the bum end that he puts up any resistence and trys to get the comb. I have found that getting my daughter to talk to the top end whilst i comb his nether regions :sick: solves the problem but as i say he is really docile so i may be blessed with a goodun :shy:
Is it possible to split the grooming into 2 or 3 daily sessions so kitty doesnt get bored sat for too long and you do each area at a time-?
I dont envy you -mr miyagi is still only little but the amount of stuff he gathers during the day is unbelievable- as a plus point i now dont have to dust behind the toilets :rofl:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 18:35:53 PM »
She's so shiny and gorgeous. :Luv2: :hug:

Max is lovely too :Luv2: - is he an oldie?

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 16:39:16 PM »
I hope the two of you didn't suffer much, those two pictures are identical lol, I do hope poor Misty wasn't tortured for nothing  :rofl:
He's looking good though so I'm guessing these are the 'after' shots - though I can't see any bloodstains on those red rugs or discarded plasters so I could be wrong!
Lorna x

Ya had uploaded the same pic`s, so had to redo it.   Am tired today.
Nope before pic`s.
That is the reason why I got the red rug`s, don`t show my blood.  ;) ...Not really....
He took it pretty good this time, maybe because I made up my mind to just stop pussy footing around and  do it.  ( I don`t know )
Yes I did bleed some. but put put, I`ll live.  :)

Thank you Dawn.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 16:24:21 PM »
he looks great in all of them!

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 15:58:57 PM »
I hope the two of you didn't suffer much, those two pictures are identical lol, I do hope poor Misty wasn't tortured for nothing  :rofl:
He's looking good though so i'm guessing these are the 'after' shots - though I can't see any bloodstains on those red rugs or discarded plasters so I could be wrong!
Lorna x
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 15:49:49 PM »
Ok fond out that there is one dog groomer here in town, and she wont do cat`s....I wonder why.  :rofl:

So I just grabbed him, brushed as good and fast as could...
Before. and after. And one of Tess and max.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 15:52:49 PM by Katt »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 13:25:58 PM »
I think I'll pack Mosi off to Gillian to see whether he gives her as much cheek as he gives me when I get the comb out!  ;D

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 18:13:03 PM »
To tell truth not sure we even have cat groomer`s here, but going to look into it.
And thank`s for the tip`s, I will keep them in mind then I find someone.
And the link.
Look`s like I need that DVD.  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 18:05:31 PM »
Gillian,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

No I have not tryed a groomer, will have to look into it.
 And make use there not to hard on him, like I`ve seem on youtube.  :shocked:

Oh yes, definitely - there are some appalling grooming videos on youtube  >:(  Cat groomers are few and far between. Some dog groomers also do cats, but you need to check them out. If you go to a parlour, make sure that they groom cats well away from where the dogs are being groomed, ideally in a separate room OR, they may have a 'cat only' grooming day. Ask to stay with your cat, most good groomers won't mind this and it can be reassuring for the cat.

There is a grooming video/CD I'd recommend for anyone with a longhaired cat http://www.caninecoatcare.com/titles.php?format=DVD&breed=26&country=47&standard=PAL

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 17:55:49 PM »
Gillian,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

No I have not tryed a groomer, will have to look into it.
 And make use there not to hard on him, like I`ve seem on youtube.  :shocked:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 17:41:06 PM »
Katt, have you tried him with a professional groomer? It might be worthwhile taking him to a groomer - often cats are much better behaved away from their own territory (altough that doesnt always follow as I've found out lol!)  ;) And it sounds like you've tried the things I'd normally suggest, such as combing for just a few minutes at a time, then offering a treat etc, and doing a little each day.

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 15:43:00 PM »
Lornab.
Ya think he will never like it, but to wrap him up in a towel am sure he will hate me, and then take it out on the dog.  :rofl:  Sorry but I just cant help it  :rofl:, he already take`s it out on the dog, after I let him go with alittle brushing.
Oh and I won`t give up, I know it has to be done or it will be painful with hair ball`s.

maryas.
Thank you for the Welcome. I have posted pic, in my Welcome post..I know wrong place. Oop`s.
If Gillianis is busy then I don`t want to take more of her time.
Am sure she will get around to it when she can.  :)
I`ll just keep trying and getting alittle each day.

I might have to hop over April`s cat show, but that`s ok.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 21:22:26 PM »
 :welcome: to purrs Katt.

Yep, you need to get some help from Gillian.  She may be busy and not seen this thread - she will not mind if you send her a Personal Message (PM).  Click on her name and then in her profile you will see send PM.

We would all love to see a photo - photos are a must on Purrs  :Luv2: ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 13:26:13 PM »
My Dusty and her daughters were exactly the same and all loathed being brushed, it was very very difficult with three cats that all needing regular brushing but were resisting >:( >:( >:(.
The important thing is don't give up, you must persevere and keep on top of it or you'll end up with a really badly knotted kitty and will end up having to take him to the vets to be clipped under anaesthetic.
I'm afraid nothing i tried made my girls enjoy being brushed for more than a few seconds before they started growling and the claws came out, despite starting very young.
It's far from ideal but it may be that the only answer is to wrap them up in a towel to minimise scratches and just do a little bit at a time. I used to keep a comb handy (one in every room!) and pounce whenever the opportunity arose, I think the trick is keep the sessions brief so you can stay friends whilst still being in charge :rofl:
Lorna x
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
hei Susanne, ya I tryed starting brushing him when he was only 6-7 week`s, but all I got was teeth holes and scratches all over.  :(
He is alittle better, but not much. I wanted to name him Mr evil but my son wouldn't let me.... :rofl:

Tan,
That just like the sound Misty makes to Waring me to stop or else.
And I know what you mean for I do the same, am lucky if I get half a side brushed.
I`ve even tryed 3 different brushes, and 3 different combs, don't seem to matter.
But with him being part skogkatt the hair balls seem to just pull out easily with my fingers.... But been told as he gets older they wont be so easy to get out.

Thank you both for replying. 

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »
Hi Katt  :welcome:

I have mainly short haired lads but My Gizzy (RIP) was a semi long haired lad and he also hated being groomed.  I managed to get most of his knotts out with short bursts of brushing in between paw swats and arm grabs. He was my 1st boy that i called Mr Spitty and he used to make this spitting noise at you when he didn't like something  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Makes me larf.

Anyhoo, not much help there was i!  :shy:  But our Gillian should be able to give ya some tips.  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:53:19 AM »
I don't have any advice to offer I'm afraid as Mosi is a pain when I try to groom him.  He just tries to bite or grab the brush/comb.  I started trying to groom him when he was a small kitten but he's never grown out of the wanting to play with the brush stage!

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »
Thank you for your reply, and your lucky to have your`s behaving.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
Hopefully Gillian (Ambercat) will be along and see this soon - she has a house full of persians and a grooming business, so she'll probably have some ideas. ;) Sorry, all mine are short haired and for the most part (unless attacking the brush) will behave when being groomed.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Katt

• Adult Cat
Grooming.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
Am guessing this go`s here.
My Misty has never liked to be groomed, and I have tryed just about everything to ease him into it. Even give him treats after a few strokes.
With him haven a bobble coat and being long hair, it has to be done.
But he will fight me all the way, getting bit and swatted is not fun. Even though I only try and groom him for a min at a time.
I was talked into showing him, and the show is coming up in April, how am I going to get him ready if he wont let me brush him. :Crazy:

Please can someone help me with some ideas.

Link to CatChat