Author Topic: Flea treatments  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Re: Flea treatments
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
Well, I ordered flea treatment/worming treatment and food for my cats yesterday lunchtime from Vets UK via the link from this website and that's my parcel just been delivered - that is an amazing service!  Can't believe I've received it so quickly - just need to dose the cats up now!  Thanks everyone for your advice.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 14:56:25 PM »
Advantage is the only thing that works on my outdoor/shrubland loving kitty. I tried Frontline but he got fleas.

I was looking for Indorex today at our big Boots store but couldn't find it.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 10:58:23 AM »
Thanks - I never knew that.  I always thought it just really affected outdoor cats.  :shy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 19:44:42 PM »
Even indoor cats need to be wormed - they dont need to hunt to get infected. It can happen at birth and the cysts lay dormant in muscle tissue and then migrate and develop at any time during the cats life. You never notice worms until its a bad problem  :sick:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »
I too use Frontline, I do both cats every month even though they don't go out unsupervised, I'm paranoid about bring fleas in (there are dogs in my office)

We worm every 3-6 months.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 10:30:22 AM »
Great, thanks.  Guess there's going to be a wee shopping spree at Vets Uk - I will use the link from this site though so that some proceeds go to the rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Yeah, I do the worming as well, just as a precaution.  He hates the tablets and won't take them, so use a spot on wormer, think its called Profender?  Again, I do this every 3 months or so, just in case.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
I do just in case, (especially with some of the filthy habits the dog has!  :evillaugh: ) also my OH works outside so there are small risks of him bringing nasties in.  :-:

Again i get Drontal from Vet-uk  :)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks for that - I will check that link out.  I don't worm my cats - should I really be doing that when they are indoors?  I did for the first year but haven't since - they are now 2 and a half.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30:36 AM »
I only do Max every 2-3 months as he doens't go outside, don't want to overload him with chemicals unnecessarily.

My girls get the same, they are indoor but obviously the dog is outdoor so we are extra cautious now. They get wormed and flead every 8-10 weeks. I order my frontline from Vet-Uk and it is a lot cheaper (also use the link for the rescues so that they get a percentage of the sale)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 09:16:48 AM »
I only do Max every 2-3 months as he doens't go outside, don't want to overload him with chemicals unnecessarily.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »
Thanks - think I'll try a different brand then.   If I could get something that would last months that would be great - they don't like getting it done as it is and so once a month is a bit much for them.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 23:25:00 PM »
I used to use frontline on my ragdolls, but found it stopped working after 2 months use.

Changed to stronghold which is fantastic and has stopped Bertie's flea bite dermatitis in its tracks. Its still working months later.

Have heard good things about advantage also.

[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 21:40:38 PM »
Frontline is a lot cheaper through the links Helen posted, I bought some for a friend and paid £10.03 for a 3 month supply - I dont do the girls monthly anymore, but that is cos they dont leave my bedroom, never mind the house, and if god forbid a foster tries to walk into the room, they are vocal enough for the other cat to turn round.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 19:19:48 PM »
Yes it will be more expensive but thats because its good. You can now but Frontline at many shops, including PAH.

I use Stronghold cos it also does earmites but I do not use it on a regular basis cos I do not belive in continually medicating cats unless its essential.

I would not use Bob Martin ever and if you use the spot on there are some very serious stories about it, some on Purrs.

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 18:05:59 PM »
When me and my Oh got our first cat we used bob martins spot on flea treatment stuff on her and it didnt stop her from having fleas and also she lost her fur on the back of her neck and her skin went really dry and started pealing, Ever since then i have stuck to frontline for all of mine yes its more expensive but i will never trust bob martins again

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 17:25:24 PM »
Isn't the Frontline a bit more expensive though?  It's with it only lasing a month it can work out quite expensive on top of everything else I pay out for them.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 17:23:21 PM »
I treat Max as well, even though he is indoor only.

Have to say though that I do not touch the Bob Martin stuff any more, its not a patch on Frontline or similar which you can buy from the vets.  To my mind the supermarket stuff is a waste of money and doesn't work that well to be honest.

Max was originally on the BM stuff and still managed to get fleas, I switched to Frontline, we now use Advantage, but touch wood no recurrances.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 17:24:35 PM by clarenmax »

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 17:19:16 PM »
I use Bob Martin spot on.  I have 2 indoor cats but still treat them as there is always the possibility that I could bring fleas in from somewhere else.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 18:20:13 PM »
Yep, or change to a spot on that does treat the environment.

If you're ordering the spray from vetuk then please go through a rescue link  ;D 

If anyone orders from vetuk, and lets face it you'd be crazy not to given their prices and free superfast p&p, please order through a rescue link so they will get 5% of your order value donated to them by vetuk.

The rescues on here that have a link are below, I always take it in turns every time I order.

http://www.coventrycatgroup.org.uk/sections.php?id=commission - click on the words 'vetuk link'

http://www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk/ - click on 'vetuk online shop' on left hand side

http://www.pawsinncats.com/ - click on vetuk logo at bottom of home page

www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk/ - click on vetuk logo on right hand side of home page
[/size]

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 18:03:45 PM »
thanks
so I need to treat the enviroment

For these sprays I do not need a prescription so I will order it now on line

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 16:42:55 PM »
Cant say anything more - Helen;s advice to spot on (boom boom lol)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 15:59:35 PM »
Does advocate treat the environment?  I use frontline spot on which doesn't treat the environment (Frontline Combo spot on does but needs a prescription) so as a precaution I spray the carpets and soft furnishings with a vet strength flea spray to prevent the development of eggs or larvae.  If advocate only treats the animal then you'll need to do the same - I use Indorex but others on here also recommend Acclaim or Staykill.

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
Flea treatments
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 15:44:48 PM »
I have 2 cats: both go outside alot, so I routinely pipette advocate (from the vets) onto the backs of their neck.

Last week I found a flea on me, I was horrified but thought it a once off.  This morning I found a flea in one of the cat beds.

Why have I got fleas when I use a treatment? what is wrong? can anyone advise me

Link to CatChat