Author Topic: Good toys for indoor cats?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Good toys for indoor cats?
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 19:18:37 PM »
Ooo, just remembered Memphis like to hunt, catch and eat bugs. Spiders, moths and flies. I do tend to point them out to him if I think he can catch it (ones on the ceiling are no good because he tries to figure out how to walk upside down  :-:) but he has tons of fun. And yes he does play with them before he eats them  :doh: He gets more bugs by me pointing them out than him noticing them because he's so useless.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 18:04:18 PM »
CAT CUBE   ;D

I can't believe the fun Mosi has with his.  I never imagined a simple cube could entertain him so much.  I think it's because they are so lightweight that they can move them around.  I can never catch him on video, but he is so funny rolling around in it, swiping the toys, pouncing on it etc.

Laser
lots of boxes!
variations on da bird - I have lots of similar fishing rod style toys.  They all move slightly different so offer a bit of variation when Mosi gets bored with one
Undercover mouse is popular with both Jaffa and Mosi

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 16:56:50 PM »
You can never have enough cardboard boxes.

Mine also love a pop up tent I bought from Poundland as well as a remote controlled mousey. The laser pointer from the Purrs shop was a huge hit and you can't go far wrong with the "mystery creature (hand) under the duvet" game.  

Some of the more expensive favourites are the Undercover Mouse and the CatIt Senses thingy.

Josh also loves his radiator bed (very bent now) and beanbags. He seems to like the way they sink under his 7.5kg weight. Strange bear.

Smokey likes to ignore the things that cost you most and steal stuff that doesn't belong to him. He is a huge fan of lipbalm, ballpoint pen, receipt for really important purchase etc... :innocent:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 16:50:14 PM »
Clare - that does look good.  I'm gonna have a check around later.

Marcia - that tree is huge!  I would love to get ours one of those but no where to put it at the minute.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 16:32:13 PM »
This is my moggies fav toy (and it only me £50)  :)

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 16:08:47 PM »
http://www.petstuffgalore.co.uk/cat-products/scratching-posts/ancol-fat-boy-scratch-post.html

This is it, its huge, and the cat can literally stand pretty much full and scratch to the top, so its great.  Shop around though, I'm sure I got mine cheaper on ebay. Surrey Pet supplies also used to sell them, but I couldn't find it on their site just now.

Defo recommend  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 16:05:53 PM »
Fat boy scratching post

Oooh yes, another good one!  I forgot about that, but could be a good idea when Capone's legs are stronger to let him have a good scratch, these things are rock solid  :)

What are these and where do you get them?  Smartie loves a good scratch and I need to get them another post.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 16:04:12 PM »
Fat boy scratching post

Oooh yes, another good one!  I forgot about that, but could be a good idea when Capone's legs are stronger to let him have a good scratch, these things are rock solid  :)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 14:32:03 PM »
Riley and Digby love this kids play tent from Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3665064/c_1/1%7Ccat_10198115%7COutdoor+toys%7C10198234/Trail/searchtext%3EKIDS+TOYS.htm

It's great to use with Da Bird and waggler toys. They also love to pounce on each other from it. You need to cut out the netting so they can jump through the holes at the top. They also have the matching tunnel. Great but do make your house look like a playground! Though they do go flat if you have posh visitors.

Fat boy scratching post
Feathers from outside
Squeaky grey mouse on elastic from zooplus
my handbags

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 13:58:40 PM »
You will just have to experiment and see what Capone likes best.

Bonnie loves:

Ribbon
Mice
Cat nip mice
Boxes
Ping pong balls
Etc. Etc.

BUT she just loves the settee!!!! even though she has 3 scratch posts.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 13:43:22 PM »
Balls that have a bell or something rattly inside, annoying noises are always more fun.
Regular balls too.
Mousies, as others have said, some are better than others, no telling what they'll prefer till you give them it!
Feathers from the shop.
Plastic shoppijng bags, actually any bag, even better if it still has shopping in it.
Boxes, again if it has some packaging in it then so much the better.
A large cat tree, flying at it from all agngles is most fun.

Lastly, Dave like to tip over the bin in the bathroom to find his favourite thing ever, cotton buds. I try to remember not to put them in that bin because I don't like him playing with them but they just mysteriously appear sometimes and he will play with it for hours given half the chance  :tired:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 13:26:04 PM »
Certainly any type of cardboard box - he'll have soooo much fun trying to get into a small one  :rofl:.  Laser Pen is the favourite in our house.  They all love it very much  :Luv2:.
Hen's feathers they like a lot.  Large paper bags for them to hide in also go down really well. 

I also have a "fish" type scratching post that you hang on a door handle.  Skye likes to jump and hang off this.  Cat tree is Smartie's favourite - she just adores it.  Summer is a bit older now so she's not as active as the others but the laser pens and feathers do get her attention.  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Hope this helps.  :shy:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 13:31:56 PM by Topsy Turvey »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:12:55 PM »
All of the above, certain mousies seem to be better than others!

Definitely, the boys will only entertain the teeny ones.  I ended uo getting a job lot from the US for them as they don't seem to make the mousies like they used too!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:02 PM »
Ahh yes, carboard boxes are a huge hit with Memphis. He loves it if they have packaging paper in so he can hide in the box and under something. Memphis loves to hide. He likes all sizes but big (such as what you get TV's in) are possibly his favourite  :scared:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »
All of the above, certain mousies seem to be better than others! Chilli likes cable ties, we keep them in a box under the computer but she knows they live there and dives in whenever the box is open.

Their favorite thing though it the cat tree I got in the auction, they fly around it like crazy things and it has a danglyy mouse which they enjoy detatching and leaving somewhere in the house for me to find. Cardboard boxes also go down well.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:02:51 PM »
All of the above and the Turbo scratcher available from the Purrs Shop is a big hit also the "Thing in a Bag" keeps them amused for ages.

Mine love ribbon too but I cant leave them with it as I just know one of them would eat it !
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
The boys were indoor only for the first year and a bit of their lives and they're still more indoor cats than outdoor.  Their fave toys are:

No interaction required....

McDonalds straws - Riley in particular adores these and can spend hours beating one up before proudly depositing it by my feet  :)

Feathers - Lu is in love with his feathers and can often be seen charging round the house with one in his mouth!

Roundabout toy - this has been a hit since tiny kittenhood and it's played with most days by both of them.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KARLIE-CAROUSEL-CAT-TOY-KITTY-ROUNDABOUT-WITH-CATNIP_W0QQitemZ230315302086QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Cats?hash=item230315302086&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Tiny furry mice

Tent

Tunnel

Interaction required....

Da bird / mouse

Laser pen

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »
Balls - any
Fat boy scratch post
Cardboard box
Kong

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »
Memphis say every cat has to have the cat - it circuit http://www.hagen.com/uk/cats/addinfo/catit_design_senses.cfm  :tired: He says it's the best thing ever

Curley Purrlies
Scrunched up Paper
Cat nip mousies from Range - must be the range ones for some reason.
Ping Pong balls!!!!!!!!!!!!
Straws!!!!! - are a must
Strips of paper or cardboard
Feather ticklers

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »
Undercover Mouse is a huge hit, crinkle tunnel has also gone down very well, wiggly waggler, those mice from PAH which have a microchip inside and squeak when they're moved, ping pong balls, all of those get Max's seal of approval  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
The Panic Mouse! My cats love it. (Especially, bizarrely Old Mog!) The curlie purries from the shop are good too. Asteroid spends about an hour running about with one from room to room "killing" it.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Good toys for indoor cats?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
What the topic says.

We have Da Bird and Da Mouse, lots of foil balls - and his favorite toy ever; a piece of ribbon!!

Any other suggestions?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Link to CatChat