Author Topic: Tortie newbie  (Read 5774 times)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Tortie newbie
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2007, 18:35:45 PM »
 :rofl: good to know I'm not the only one sweeping up tufts of red-flecked cat hair every other day! :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2007, 17:50:51 PM »
that no matter how often Riley attacks or beats up on Skye, she just will not back down, so "bouts" last rather longer that they would otherwise. I guess I have two rather dominant cats tryong to decide who is boss! :rofl: There are long periods where they seem to call "truce", and are lovelt to each other, then it starts all over again! :sigh:

That's exactly how it is with my 2.  I didn't realise how dominant Jaffa was until I got Mosi.  Jaffa and his brother Magpie just rubbed along without any problems other than the occasional spat, but I don't think Magpie ever really challenged Jaffa.  Now I have 2 feisty red heads who both want to be boss and the fur flies!

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2007, 17:42:47 PM »
I do think there is a slight relationship between colour and temperament, but not sufficient to say that all cats of a certain colour behave in a certain way.  I find that a lot of red cats have a dominant personality, but I'm sure there are submissive red cats out there too.

This is an interesting article.

http://www.messybeast.com/colour-tempment.htm

Friiend I went to the Supreme with on Saturday described the tortie & white persian in the final for best in show as a patchwork persian  ;D

That's a really interesting point, Suzanne, and I think it would explain some things I've noticed with my two - namely, that no matter how often Riley attacks or beats up on Skye, she just will not back down, so "bouts" last rather longer that they would otherwise. I guess I have two rather dominant cats tryong to decide who is boss! :rofl: There are long periods where they seem to call "truce", and are lovelt to each other, then it starts all over again! :sigh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2007, 17:34:30 PM »
I do think there is a slight relationship between colour and temperament, but not sufficient to say that all cats of a certain colour behave in a certain way.  I find that a lot of red cats have a dominant personality, but I'm sure there are submissive red cats out there too.

This is an interesting article.

http://www.messybeast.com/colour-tempment.htm

Friiend I went to the Supreme with on Saturday described the tortie & white persian in the final for best in show as a patchwork persian  ;D

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2007, 16:11:42 PM »
Awww...pappilon! What beautiful fluffies!
I think you have a point about the upbringing thing - for all that I complain of Riley being a bit rough with Skye (he's our red-head boy), he is actually an extremely well-behaved cat. I've never had a day's trouble with him - he's never scratched or shredded anything he wasn't supposed to, he sticks to his cat tree and other scratchers. He has even learned to scratch on his tree to ask for his food, or to play. He is very good natured, and though he will wake me up for his breakfast, he is so cute and affectionate about it that I don't mind (he trills, kisses me, and asks to get into bed for a cuddle, where he pads away and purrs for about 10 - 20 mins before getting up and trilling again to get me up to feed him!). He know the house rules and sticks to them 90% of the time - which is fine by me, I like that every now and then he tests the boundaries - it keeps us both on our toes! Though he is affectionate, he's not a lap-cat, but I suspect this is because he was a stray for the first 3 months of his life. He is a very confident, laidback, sociable boy with me and my boyf, he is just very shy of anyone else.
Skye is more cuddly, but she grew up in human company (albeit with humans who were unable to cope or care for her properly). She is also learning fast, and after 2 weeks has learned to confine her scratching to the cat-tree and scratchers (we "encoraged" her in the same way as Riley - not by telling her off, but by making a big fuss of her whenever she gets it right). She is a clever little girl and learns very fast, and seems to genuinely enjoy being "taught" (perhaps "encouraged" is a better term!). She is also shaping up to be a confident, well-behaved girl, though I'm sure she will go through a rebellious phase (Riley did this around 1 year, but is over it now!).
I hope that, judging by the progress Riley has made (he was a very frightened, nervous boy when we got him), Skye will also continue to gain in confidence and start to show off her personality fully :) If she proves to be a bit naughty, that is fine by me - it just adds to the fun!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2007, 22:49:01 PM »
Here are Persia(Mumy cat), and Piccolo&Fifi    . Persia was blue/creme persian and in her paper says she had torties in her family history ;D

I am putting my DD picci's so you can see the torties and calicos?? I think ....

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2007, 22:34:18 PM »
You'll see a pic of my little tortie (Rossi) on the link Gill posted.  I do not believe in naughty torites (it's a myth) hhowever Rossi does have plenty of "Catitude"  :naughty:

However she is the most affectionate little cuddle bum I have ever known and is the best lap cat ever!
Same here, my DD is there she is a calicos, and was a rescue cat . she came to me age 10 and she had a bit of catitude But when i posted her piccis i didnt have my other two torties picc's to post i am going to post it now and they were the most affectionate cats , but they were born in my place , thats why i still believe its the way they have been treated and not the red gene!! I have a B/W now which has no red gene and god she has cattotude? But we all have different views and opinions and what we experiance with one. I post Piccollo& Fifi  piccis after this and their mum.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 19:39:44 PM »
I think one of the kittens PB rescued was a torbie

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 19:18:07 PM »
i am sure someone on here has a torbie, but can't place any off hand.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2007, 18:08:20 PM »
they are all torties but actual torties are where the hair colours are brindled through each other , calicos have blocks of same colour Ie white with patches of black and red but not mixed through.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2007, 17:54:34 PM »
I've heard of torbies, but don't know anyone who has any. They sound gorgeous!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2007, 12:37:19 PM »
There are quite a few different descriptions of torties and calicos - I personally class them as torties when they are mainly black and ginger, whehter it is in blocks, or brindled (like Rossi), and calico's to me are like Gill's Sasa, mainly white with the odd colour block. Then you have different colours, dilutes are blue and cream, and they can be either blocks or mingled (Can't think of any one who has one off hand), Messybeast does mention others, but have never seen any of those, and then you have tortie tabbies, or torbies, where they have tabby markings rather then the black.
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 21:45:29 PM »
Awww - Dingle is so pretty! :Luv2:
I love the pic of Rossi - such a sweet little face, but you can tell she's plotting something! :shify:
I was told that Calicos have more distinct "blocks" or blotches of colour, though it will still be the same tortie colours (white, orange and black, or grey, cream and white), while torties are more blended or flecked with colour.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 21:33:03 PM »
This is Rossi on top of the kitchen cupboard:

and another of Rossi and Zephyr:

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 21:23:29 PM »
they are all torties, but calicos are that much more special  :Luv: My Tabitha Jane was a calico cat and she was gorgeous :Luv2:

ccmacey

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 21:21:29 PM »
Ah so my wee Delilah is a Calico? The vet said she was a Tortie. I thought they are both Tortie just called Calico as in meaning a different shade/ pattern.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 21:18:17 PM »
calicos have blodges of orange, black and white, torties it runs all together and if they have white at all it is generally a shirtfront or paws or the usual markings of a two-colour cat...

ccmacey

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 21:15:57 PM »
So whats the difference between a Tortie and a Calico?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 21:13:12 PM »
She is learning your rules so she knows how to expand, bend and break them and make sure you are fully compliant to her wishes by the time she is ready :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Skye is beautiful :Luv:

It was only very recently that I learned our Dingle (1977 to 1997 RIP) was a dilute Tortie.  She was the naughtiest cat I ever had.  The piccie of puddy swinging at top of curtains brought back memories.  She completely ruled my life from 6 weeks to almost 21 years old.  She had a way of shouting "NOW" that meant you dared not disobey. She was a star.  You've been warned unseeliechylde. Like Skye, Dingle was a loving little baby ....... just you wait :naughty:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 20:47:11 PM »
 :rofl: love the pic em1209! I sense that I am doomed to be a blissfully happy tortie slave for many years to come! At least I had some preparation - my boy is a red-head too......oh dear, two red-gened kittys in one flat! I haven't a chance! :rofl:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 19:56:34 PM »
I sooooooo miss my tortie Matilda, who I lost 2 years ago .... even with three cats, the house isn't quite as full as it was in the days when Matilda ran things!  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 19:51:39 PM »
LOL excellent pic em1209.

Hope you don't mind but I tweaked the contrast a bit so we can see it better:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 19:53:18 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 18:07:13 PM »
Naughty Tortie??? Don't know what you're all talking about  :evillaugh: ..... see below .......

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 07:35:10 AM »
zia has shown herself to be very cheeky this week, the only one of them to beg for food!!
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 12:20:11 PM »
Absolutely - Skye is very good at asking for what she wants in sweet, but very definate, terms. :evillaugh: If I should happen to want to go do something around the flat, but she wants to sit and cuddle, you can guess who wins... :rofl: She is also very skilled at explaining that, no matter what I may think, playtime takes presidence in all circumstances....I sometimes think cats invented hypnotic suggestion! :Crazy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I think torties are very good at it cos they seem to do things on their terms only but yews you are right this applies to cats in general too  :shify: :shify: :shify:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 12:00:37 PM »
*sigh* how right you are! :rofl: One look at that sweet little face, and suddenly rules seem less important....anything on Torties being expert manipulators? :rofl: :rofl: .......Or is that just furbabies in general? :naughty: I feel sorry for Riley - he really is an obedient boy (well, when we are watching!) - He must feel terribly confused at this little sweetie having us all (including him) wrapped round her paw already :-[

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
I can see that Skye aready has you trained to believe she sticks within rules  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh my sides hurt with laughin  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

She is learning your rules so she knows how to expand, bend and break them and make sure you are fuuly compliant to her wishes by the time she is ready  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 11:43:44 AM »
From what I've seen and heard so far, I'm inclined to agree - it seems that torties are cheeky rather than truly naughty ;D Skye is quickly learning what is and is not allowed, and is quite happy to stick to the rules, tho she will take the opportunity to be a little cheeky with other things!  :) Sounds like the infamous "tortie temperament" should be revised - they all seem to be very affectionate cuddle-cats, more than anything! ;)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 21:38:34 PM »
Thanks for the pics - gorgeous cats.   I have five torties of various tortie types - they are all are extremely loving and affectionate - little rascals but not really naughty.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 21:08:09 PM »
I have a 7 month old tortie and can honestly say there's not a hint of naughtiness in her. She's the most loveable, laid back lil girl, if she's somewhere she shouldn't be she always gets down when I say no, and she's soooo affectionate. In bed at night she cuddles right into my chest and purrs and purrs  :Luv:
Her brothers, however, make up for her in the naughty department  :evillaugh:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 20:26:33 PM »
lol Yup, seems we have two of a kind, there! :Luv2: That's just what Skye did - I couldn't believe it, because Riley was also 5 months when we got him, and he was so timid, but not this little girl, she's as sassy and confident as they come! Within about an hour she was running around like she owned the place! And, of course, after a few days, she had us all wrapped around her paw :)
There is nothing funnier than watching this teenie, pretty little ball of grey fur running rings around Riley, who is lanky but absolutely HUGE (here's a pic of him taking up half a 3-seater sofa!):
She loves him to bits, and I rather think he likes all the attention...if she is sat cuddling with me, he actually trills and cries until she comes to play! :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 19:57:32 PM »
She sounds like Rossi.  When I brought Rossi home she was 5 months old and I was really worried about her meeting Zephyr my Abyssinian boy who was about 5 years old at the time and very intolerant of other cats.  However Rossi walked straight upto him sniffed him, bopped him on the top of the head and then ran off with a "chase me, chase me"  glint in her eye  :naughty:   Zephyr was totally gobsmacked at her ballsy approach and they instantly become firm friends!

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 19:51:02 PM »
 :Luv: Rossi is gorgeous!  :Luv:
Skye is certainly the cuddliest cat I've ever had - very affectionate and loves sitting on me, near me - she kneads away like crazy, and still licks and sucks at any available skin, which is just too sweet for words  :Luv2: She is very mommy-oriented, but also adores my big red tabby, Riley. She's just so confident and sweet - but she does have real catitude, and will stand up (and speak up) for herself, even tho she is so young :) If that is a typical tortie, then I'm hooked!  ;)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 19:27:09 PM »
Awwww Skye is gorgeous!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 19:26:20 PM »
You'll see a pic of my little tortie (Rossi) on the link Gill posted.  I do not believe in naughty torites (it's a myth) hhowever Rossi does have plenty of "Catitude"  :naughty:

However she is the most affectionate little cuddle bum I have ever known and is the best lap cat ever!

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 18:06:23 PM »
Awwww! They're all soooo sweet! Here are a few (not terribly good) pics of my baby girl (they don't really do her justice, but they're all I have ATM):

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 17:27:57 PM »
Now if you love torties try this for pics of torties on Purrs including mine  ;D

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=7802.0

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 17:25:37 PM »
I've managed to get a couple of pics, but haven't managed to download them yet - will post some as soon as I do! She's very photogenic, a real pretty girl, but being 5 months, it's hard to get her to sit still! ;) She can be a bit of a cheeky little thing - I guess I'll have to get used to it! The red gene involvement is interesting - Riley, my boy, is a red tuxedo tabby, so I guess that explains his roughousing too!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 17:18:25 PM »
Ooooo any pics?

My torti has tortitude, shes generally good but has a short temper at times! Its the red gene in them

Link to CatChat